What are they thinking?

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2020, 06:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmacowen View Post
I was not referring to you. Other people , strangers like you that don't wear a mask and don't care about their fellow man only their "rights".
Right. My mom doesn't go to the crowded venues that my kids do (school, work, stadiums, fairs, etc). She doesn't go to the bars and entertainment venues that my husband and I do so she isn't really ever in a situation to be around non mask wearers and the like. She generally hangs around people who are very careful about mask wearing and who are careful about social distancing. She wouldn't go into a preschool classroom, for example, and read to a bunch of kids even though she LOVES children to pieces.

If there is someone in the grocery store not wearing a mask, she doesn't hang around them. We would never go around her if we were symptomatic. We've all stayed healthy.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:32 PM

Relax
Old 11-20-2020, 07:06 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
So, entertainment at the town squares were closed when the pandemic was under much better control than it currently is. Fast forward, the pandemic numbers have never been worse, and a massive influx of potential Covid spreaders are migrating south. Then the seasonal influx of high risk children and grandchildren visitors will follow. People from all over the country will be flying to Florida and converging on the 55 plus community that has been relatively safe during the slow season, where the older and more vulnerable full time residents generally take appropriate precautions. Despite this, starting next week the town squares will go back to business as usual, like the pandemic doesn’t even exist, WTF?

Could there possibly be a worse time to decide to open everything back up? I get that the powers that be need to sell all the houses they are cranking out, and it’s hard to sell houses without being able to showcase the Villages experience. But this could backfire in a big way if the Villages Covid numbers spike, which they most likely will. Not only that, but all the new houses they are trying to sell will have to compete with all the new pre-owned homes that will go on the market vacated by unfortunate Covid victims.

OK, all the Covid deniers, let me have it, I can deal with it.
Don't want to let anyone "have it", AND I MAY WELL BE WRONG....but since when were children deemed "High Risk" ???? Everything I have read, seen, and heard is the exact opposite ! Also, we'll argue this forever, but do you, or anyone, feel threatened sitting outside listening to music and having some measure of "normality" to your life ? I doubt (but again .... I would not know, just a "gut" feeling) those "vulnerable" residents you mention (which would be those in sheltered care residences, nursing homes, etc. all over the Villages) probably will not be the ones going to the squares anyway, they KNOW their risk and that is why the probably moved to a more secure living arrangement to begin with. I just don't believe it is dangerous to have some music and normality to life, but I am NOT an "denier", but some of the things assumed on here just make no scientific sense at all: "clouds" of concentrated virus that "hang" in the air waiting to infect people, as one person mentioned ! Air is 5 gasses (I believe that is still true ?), quite a magic trick to get those 5 to stay stationary and lay in wait for victims ? Someone on here has a tag line about trying to understand some people is like trying to SMELL a color or a number.... THAT is right on ! The "logic" some apply is truly baffling !
Again, not giving you an argument, but do you seriously think the dying from Covid is really going to go to such horrifying levels that there will be that there are going to be nothing of vacant homes on the market ? And, WHERE could those fleeing GO to be "safe ? This is like the middle ages I guess ? I am probably the one who is naive !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 11-20-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: delete word
Old 11-20-2020, 07:31 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
The CDC just reversed themselves and are now saying that schools should not be closed. That's right - children should be IN class AT their schools.

I'm glad to live in Florida where parents have the choice of keeping their kids at home or sending their kids to school.
A big "amen" to that. I don't think people have any idea of the psychological damage we've done to an entire generation by doing this to children for nearly a year now.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Our VA govern told us to only have family Thanksgiving outside in small numbers??? All this while he heads to NC for his big family vacation.

Let's keep everyone in fear and then we can control them.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Well, this was predictable. Last week the town squares were opened up, and the on-line new source just reported a massive spike in Covid cases throughout the Villages. This is a really bad time to be opening everything back up! Stay tuned.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Well, this was predictable. Last week the town squares were opened up, and the on-line new source just reported a massive spike in Covid cases throughout the Villages. This is a really bad time to be opening everything back up! Stay tuned.
I don't think it's the timing that's the problem. I think it's the methodology that's the problem.

Anyone "at risk" should still wear a mask whenever they congregate in close proximity to each other outside, or any time they're in a building open to the public (except while they're eating of course).

There still should be social distancing, or at the absolute least - anyone who appears to be trying to social distance, should be given the courtesy of being allowed to do so. If someone keeps backing away from you, or skirting to the side when you're behind them in line, acknowledge that they want to keep their distance from you, and honor it.

It doesn't even need to be 6 feet. But I was in line today to return something and the woman behind me was less than 2 feet away and NOT wearing a mask. I kept trying to step a little to one side, and she came in right behind me again. I tried inching a step closer to the person in front of me, and she was right there behind me, inching just as close. There was no one behind her, so no reason she should've felt the need to crowd me.

It's as though people have forgotten to simply respect each others' space - something we used to do naturally, before COVID-19 existed.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I don't think it's the timing that's the problem. I think it's the methodology that's the problem.

Anyone "at risk" should still wear a mask whenever they congregate in close proximity to each other outside, or any time they're in a building open to the public (except while they're eating of course).

There still should be social distancing, or at the absolute least - anyone who appears to be trying to social distance, should be given the courtesy of being allowed to do so. If someone keeps backing away from you, or skirting to the side when you're behind them in line, acknowledge that they want to keep their distance from you, and honor it.

It doesn't even need to be 6 feet. But I was in line today to return something and the woman behind me was less than 2 feet away and NOT wearing a mask. I kept trying to step a little to one side, and she came in right behind me again. I tried inching a step closer to the person in front of me, and she was right there behind me, inching just as close. There was no one behind her, so no reason she should've felt the need to crowd me.

It's as though people have forgotten to simply respect each others' space - something we used to do naturally, before COVID-19 existed.
Why didn't you just ask her to step back? I certainly would have. In fact, I have asked people to give me space as they encroach close to me. I always use the word "please". No harm in that.

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-24-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Why didn't you just ask her to step back? I certainly would have. In fact, I have asked people to give me space as they encroach close to me. I always use the word "please". No harm in that.
Agree.........must speak up to the clueless.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
A big "amen" to that. I don't think people have any idea of the psychological damage we've done to an entire generation by doing this to children for nearly a year now.
I was just thinking how good it has been for children to be WITH their parents for eight months in a way that many of us grew up instead of being hauled around to games and programs and to be cared for as infants by people our parents wouldn't lend their car keys to.

It strongly appears that children are not as much at risk from Covid-19. We have read about teachers dying from it.

I am going to change the subject. There have been few posts about how happy folks are that two vaccines that are above 90% effective will be available to us older people and medical people soon.

I wonder why. AND....On the issue of psychological damage. I wonder what has happened that we are not talking about the light at the end of the tunnel?

Tags
covid, sell, pandemic, houses, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.