What we can and can't do?

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Rubicon, there are still Relay for Life events being held in The Villages. You can also donate money directly to Relay for Life, American Cancer Society, Boy Scouts, Sons of the Confederacy, your church, Salvation Army, or any - or none - organization you wish. No one is stopping you from doing what you want.

I don't know anything about the Freedom Pointe residents (nor do I care) having access to Village ammenities.

My advice is to be happy and be tolerant of others viewpoints.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,505 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
TH I happen to agree with your original premise. By hook or crook the Developer prevented the RFL because he was not going to share in the profits. I don't care whether or not RFL monies remain locally. The fact remains that RFL has been held annually to collect monies for cancer. So what is different this year? And by the way who pays the taxes to fund the schools? Something is rotten in Denmark. My convenant does not address issues such as this. I am surprised those who organized RFL didn't fight back based on the principles of freedom???? By the way didn't the Developer breach the convenant when he allowed those individuals living at Freedom Pointe, an institution not a part of The Villages, amenities at our facilities? I don't wish to upset anyone but I do not believe the people organizing and attending the RFL were doing the equivalent of yelling "fire" in a theatre. They were doing an honorable and unselfish act for people in great need. This is my personal view and I could be wrong and thus would invite any member to clear up any misunderstanding that I may have pertaining to this response.
Rubicon.

I still think that there is no proof that the developer was looking to share in the profits. I really believe that this Moffit Center was his "baby" (his vision, his plan to complete this place etc.) and he was used to dealing with businesses and the American Cancer Society is a fund raising business and that he wanted to do it HIS way and they said no.

I think his response to the NO, was not to his best PR interests but whether or not his goal was to increase his bottom line financially is difficult to prove. We can speculate until the cows come home.

I am not defending him, well in a way I am, but I think we should support the Relay for Life how it stands now and not throw the baby out with the bath water.

The Relay for Life can be reached with golf carts I believe.(It is behind Walmart on 466?) We will be in Cincinnati so we can't support it ourselves personally, but my check writing hand is still working.

The Villages School system is a charter school system and someone is going to explain how that works.

I am tired of trying to find some good in this mess.

But we still don't have all of the facts.

What is the deal now with Freedom Pointe?

My new dental crown just fell off.

I am grumpy. I don't like it when my teeth fall out.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Take it all in, digest it, and you are entitled to your opinion. I have done so and upon learning the shortcomings (putting it mildly) of the developer, I dislike him profusely for his greed and domination.

However, I can separate my feeling of despising the developer from my feeling of loving living here in TV which has been mentioned before that we owners have paid for our choice of purchasing this lifestyle and if one can not separate the two i.e., the greedy developer vs the chosen lifestyle, then one has the choice to leave. I choose to stay and enjoy the good life and speak out when I feel bad vibes from the master of TV.

Bottom line is brazen and misleading games can create such vulnerability for some, especially when there are sooo many other needy causes. The duplicity of this Moffitt/TV facility plan.....is it really worth donating millions to something that we have no knowledge of the reality of it all? This is simply the developer building his empire with more of your money. The Moffitt/Leesburg facility will do us well without this unreasonable donation goal ...for what?

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 02-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Local charity

The Developer is a big boy and doesn't need any help from me in his defense.That being said , some thoughts from my experience. I have participated in many fund raising campaigns in my current home community, over the last 30 yrs. I have chaired many , ie: United Way, Food Resources, Community College capital, and scholarship, Housing Resources, etal. We also have many National campaigns which in most cases will not share proceeds, often have no local offices and don't participate with the local community.Although this does not make them unworthy, it does make it harder to convince many local folks and oganizations to participate with them when they will not reciprocate. I would think that all might benefit if there were some sharing. A bgger event and added energy might produce net gains for both national and local initiatives. (IMHO)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Talk Host - Relay for Life gives all the donated money to American Cancer Society. Their main feature (after about 25% of donations going to fundraising costs) is research. Fine group but it is not for local treatment of patients. American Cancer Society stated they would give no funds at all to the Moffitt Center. Basically, we give money to Relay for Life and get nothing local for it.

If a person wants to contribute directly to American Cancer Society, send them a check. There are still some Relay for Life functions going on at The Villages, as stated above in another post.

No one is forcing you to give to any certain charity - or to any charity at all.
Huh? We get nothing out of the research supported by the American Cancer Society? A rather short sided view, no?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Gold member

If the American Cancer Society achieves it’s ultimate goal, we won’t need the Moffitt Center.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
Take it all in, digest it, and you are entitled to your opinion. I have done so and upon learning the shortcomings (putting it mildly) of the developer, I dislike him profusely for his greed and domination.

However, I can separate my feeling of despising the developer from my feeling of loving living here in TV which has been mentioned before that we owners have paid for our choice of purchasing this lifestyle and if one can not separate the two i.e., the greedy developer vs the chosen lifestyle, then one has the choice to leave. I choose to stay and enjoy the good life and speak out when I feel bad vibes from the master of TV.

Bottom line is brazen and misleading games can create such vulnerability for some, especially when there are sooo many other needy causes. The duplicity of this Moffitt/TV facility plan.....is it really worth donating millions to something that we have no knowledge of the reality of it all? This is simply the developer building his empire with more of your money. The Moffitt/Leesburg facility will do us well without this unreasonable donation goal ...for what?
Barb, I couldn't agree with you more. I will never understand the people here who don't care what Morse does as long as their little bubble is not burst. Even the ostrich has to take his head out of the sand every once in a while! I also despise his control of the media here, and he and his people decide what we, as adults, can and cannot hear. To be well-informed, you have to go elsewhere and dig on your own. I had no idea when we moved here the control he has over everything - except the AAC and POA whom they trash every chance they get. Only makes me love them a little more!!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitakk View Post
. I had no idea when we moved here the control he has over everything - except the AAC and POA .
And.......Talk of The Villages.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I stand corrected - thanks for supplying us with somewhere to vent!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,505 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Barb, I couldn't agree with you more. I will never understand the people here who don't care what Morse does as long as their little bubble is not burst. Even the ostrich has to take his head out of the sand every once in a while! I also despise his control of the media here, and he and his people decide what we, as adults, can and cannot hear. To be well-informed, you have to go elsewhere and dig on your own. I had no idea when we moved here the control he has over everything - except the AAC and POA whom they trash every chance they get. Only makes me love them a little more!!

This is a CDD form of government. In Chicago they have politicians that are voted in and I hear they are PERFECT and BLAMELESS.

You don't have to dig for what's happening. There are other papers.

The POA has improved it's reporting style and has dropped the rancorous comments and the vitriol that used to turn a lot away. I think the POA is doing a great job now. We need a vehicle not controlled by the developer to be fair and balanced. Or does that sound too much like Fox news?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Just a reminder, the developer owns the newspaper and the local access tv channel. We have the option of subscribing to a different newspaper, and there are many around, and to not watch the local channel. I don't think those who have Direct or Dish tv have it their channel lineup anyway.

For me personally, I don't mind the Good News Paper as some call it. I get most of the horrific news going on around the local area, in the country as well as the world, from my computer.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Your television gets other channels besides the Village channel, doesn't it? I have Comcast and have access to well over 200 channels. My radios get channels besides WLVG that come in crystal clear.

I read the Washington Post besides the Daily Sun.

No one is trying to control your mind - except maybe FOX News.

Enjoy your life in The Villages.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
(One of the best ways to get local news is TOTV. THANK YOU, Admins!)

As to access to other avenues for the news, I don't think that's the point some were trying to make. The point is that the news is so slanted by the Sun and the local channels that it isn't news, it is simply a nice way to advertise TV. Don't misunderstand, I don't mind the TV channel being all about TV nor the radio (as long as they don't purport to really give us news), but I'm not used to a newspaper being this tilted. News of interest should be reported, good or bad, immediately, not days after the event.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 02-28-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If I owned a Newspaper , which is a money losing proposition, as most papers are in dire straits (small town in Iowa) I would certainly print what I wanted to print. Most folks here are retired and are tired of hearing about all the garbage that is going on outside our gates , we have had our turn so relax and let the next generation take over ....besides we didn't do such a hot job as I remember.
also as I recall you can still get a NY Times and Wash.post at the super market . they are free and located over by the fresh fish. Or at least thats what I was told ,,,,,
Me personally , I watch FOX NEWS.....With the exception of two guys its a great place for information .....

I thank you .... fumar the informer.....
Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;334464]This is a CDD form of government. In Chicago they have politicians that are voted in and I hear they are PERFECT and BLAMELESS.

And our newspapers aren't "slanted" either!!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.