What we need to know about COVID-19 and getting beyond this

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2020, 09:47 AM
Smile What we need to know about COVID-19 and getting beyond this

Bill and Melinda Gates have done more than anyone to help the world deal with Epidemics, so his take on what we are experiencing is timely.

Bill Gates on Fighting Coronavirus | The Daily Social Distancing Show - YouTube

He covers the important topics -

- When we should be thinking about re-opening the economy? (gradually, and then only when it's under control meaning well past it's peak - probably early summer)

- Is the cost of the current solution (economic) worse than the problem? (No) 8:15

- Where we stand in our testing ability? (we are still behind, and this is delaying our ability to get past this)

- Does the entire country need to follow the guidelines? (Yes, and states not doing so undermines all our efforts) 16:25

- Can we start doing sports again soon? (No - far too risky when large groups of people are involved)

- Are there benefits to cheerleading? (it's actually dangerous as it leads to people not taking it seriously enough to follow the precautions)

He also provides some things we can be doing -

- Wear masks when going out

- We need to start building the factories to make the vaccines now rather than waiting 18:30

I wish we had someone like Bill Gates leading our government - I would feel a lot more confident about our ability to respond.

Last edited by skarra; 04-08-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,311 Times in 381 Posts

Bill Gates is an epidemiologist. Just like most people seem to be.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
Bill and Melinda Gates have done more than anyone to help the world deal with Epidemics, so his take on what we are experiencing is timely.

- When we should be thinking about re-opening the economy? (gradually, and then only when it's under control meaning well past it's peak - probably early summer)

- Is the cost of the current solution (economic) worse than the problem? (No) 8:15

- Where we stand in our testing ability? (we are still behind, and this is delaying our ability to get past this)

- Does the entire country need to follow the guidelines? (Yes, and states not doing so undermines all our efforts) 16:25

- Can we start doing sports again soon? (No - far too risky when large groups of people are involved)

- Are there benefits to cheerleading? (it's actually dangerous as it leads to people not taking it seriously enough to follow the precautions)

- We need to start building the factories to make the vaccines now rather than waiting 18:30

I wish we had someone like Bill Gates leading our government - I would feel a lot more confident about our ability to respond.
I, too, wish we had someone like Bill Gates leading us back to normalcy, unfortunately our Administration does not seem to think we need to draw people into a "think tank" to work us through this pandemic. The Governor of California has set up a panel of four to help him open his State safely, and I would expect Gov. Cuomo to follow his lead. This should all be coming from the President, it should not be left to the States to go it alone.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage

Apparently you do not watch or read the news. Who do you think formulated the plan to open things back up? It is up to the states to implement the plan created by the Federal Government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I, too, wish we had someone like Bill Gates leading us back to normalcy, unfortunately our Administration does not seem to think we need to draw people into a "think tank" to work us through this pandemic. The Governor of California has set up a panel of four to help him open his State safely, and I would expect Gov. Cuomo to follow his lead. This should all be coming from the President, it should not be left to the States to go it alone.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Too bad so many folks formulate their position for or against depending "who" speaks.
Too many parrot the very biased, get Trump at any cost, main stream media.
Too many allow their political persuasion to dominate their position, right and or wrong.

How about we forget the messenger. Then evaluate whether an idea/guideline/order/et al has merit (or not).

The president is in a no win position. If he tells the states what to do....they come back and yell he has no right to tell them what to do. If he provides the guidelines and states now you states implement as you see fit for your specific situation measuring your state of readiness....they come back and yell he is not doing enough.

The current phasing and measuring by state to be implemented by those who run the states is the common sense approach. Eliminates the one size fits all plans. Puts the governor in the position to do what he and his cohorts deem appropriate for their state.

We could get through this national emergency more quickly if the politics and partisan poisoning were set aside.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We could get through this national emergency more quickly if the politics and partisan poisoning were set aside.
That applies to just about everything, and rarely happens, so I doubt it will in this situation.

In the UK, the newly-appointed Leader of the Opposition announced that he wanted to set aside politics, then immediately started bashing the Government.

Politics is the same the World over.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Too bad so many folks formulate their position for or against depending "who" speaks.
Too many parrot the very biased, get Trump at any cost, main stream media.
Too many allow their political persuasion to dominate their position, right and or wrong.

How about we forget the messenger. Then evaluate whether an idea/guideline/order/et al has merit (or not).

The president is in a no win position. If he tells the states what to do....they come back and yell he has no right to tell them what to do. If he provides the guidelines and states now you states implement as you see fit for your specific situation measuring your state of readiness....they come back and yell he is not doing enough.

The current phasing and measuring by state to be implemented by those who run the states is the common sense approach. Eliminates the one size fits all plans. Puts the governor in the position to do what he and his cohorts deem appropriate for their state.

Totally agree. We are a large country and all states do not have the same situation going on with Covid. Governors are elected to function advocate for their states. Our forefathers planned for our Democracy to work this way, with the Federal Government over looking and assisting as needed. Great point BTKid. Always enjoy your smarts.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:11 PM

Seriously? I assume you have no problem with being injected with a tracking chip
Old 04-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Default Oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post

Where did Mr. Gates get his medical degree?
Old 04-18-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishakaye View Post
Seriously? I assume you have no problem with being injected with a tracking chip
Will you explain that to me? I don't understand your post. I do find on Google that some crazies are totally wrong about what Mr Gates has said and has been completely clarified so that anyone with a functioning brain would comprehend. So that can't be it, because I suspect you have a functioning brain. I've decided maybe you left the snark label off your post. Yes, that must be it.

This post is snark. But it also has links to facts. If this post gets taken down I hope that the quoted one will also. If it stays I apologize for tone, but really this is up there with NASA never landed on the moon crazy conspiracy theory.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Platinum member

Old 04-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Platinum member

Old 04-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishakaye View Post
Where did Mr. Gates get his medical degree?
I didn't watch the video, but I do not see anything in the summary that is a medical topic. What I see is someone who might have some understanding with computer modeling and programming and have an ability to analyze data based on those skills. All the projections are models, math as it were.

As to economic judgements, and there are some of those in the summary. All I can say it that he has been a successful businessman, no bankruptcies so far.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Totally agree. We are a large country and all states do not have the same situation going on with Covid. Governors are elected to function advocate for their states. Our forefathers planned for our Democracy to work this way, with the Federal Government over looking and assisting as needed. Great point BTKid. Always enjoy your smarts.
You're comparing our country to other countries in Europe when you say we are a large country. What you forget, is that the states don't have -any- restrictions for adults who want to go from one state to the other. There's no checkpoint, there's no passports or IDs or tickets or proof of identity or anything else. There is no method to restrict access.

So if one state says "our state has very little problem so we're lifting all restrictions" then there is *nothing* stopping the entire rest of the country from deciding "hey - THAT state is unrestricted - party time!" and making a beeline to the newest tourism state.

And then - it's right back to square 1 with a brand new, and even deadlier version of the pandemic.

New York wasn't an epicenter of the virus - until people with the virus showed up and spread it.

Nothing has changed with this virus to make anyone expect anything different, if some states ease restrictions and others don't. People who don't want restrictions will congregate in states that don't have them. That is how the virus spread in the first place.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Don't microwave your money to sanitize it like this person. Then try to deposit it, the bank wouldn't accept the money.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
ability, start, people, past, follow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.