What is the woodworking shop like?

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Sage

I'd love to have a metal working/machine shop of the same caliber here, but realize the amount of people interested would be way too small, and the cost of machinery ten fold what woodworking would be.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Are classes offered to teach me the basics of carpentry and stuff like that?
Not carpentry as such, but cabinetry, wood turning, wood carving, joining, finishing, etc. Visit their ( our) site at
http://www.thevwc.org/ for details. There is a lot of talent there and they are willing to share it.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I'd love to have a metal working/machine shop of the same caliber here, but realize the amount of people interested would be way too small, and the cost of machinery ten fold what woodworking would be.
I have heard of a woodworking shop that has a special space for repairing woodworking equipment. I just don't remember which retirement community it is located. Maybe Sun City at Hilton Head?

They had machinists equipment.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Platinum member

I, too am very delighted to read this information.... I have been wondering for awhile if I could commission some floater frames for my artwork. I'll be painting again soon
Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Send a message via AIM to Zass38

Just as an aside..members of The Woodworkers Club will be at Lake Sumter Landing square on October 13, October 20, November 3 and 10 and December 8 and 15 to show toys that have been made by members. Also, these toys will be for sale as presents, with the proceeds going to the ongoing Toys for Needy Children program.

You also wiull be able to join the Woodworker's Club.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Gold member
Default Great information Here

I know also that my quilt guild, and I think maybe all the quilt guilds in TV, make quilts for the doll beds the wood shop makes, for charity. I think there are other groups that make handmade dolls.

I have a question though - I see someone posted that you can take some furniture for repairs. Can anyone tell me if you can have pieces built from the start?- I would love to have a potting bench/hutch - for outdoor use. Would need to be made out of treated lumber, I presume (I'm not a woodworker).
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
We thought the same thing!!! If there's a Wood Shop wouldn't it be cool to have a Metal Shop? I've always wanted to learn ho to weld.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Default woodshop guys

do you welcome women...I think I would like to learn this style of art.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Default Woodworker Club Special Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
I know also that my quilt guild, and I think maybe all the quilt guilds in TV, make quilts for the doll beds the wood shop makes, for charity. I think there are other groups that make handmade dolls.

I have a question though - I see someone posted that you can take some furniture for repairs. Can anyone tell me if you can have pieces built from the start?- I would love to have a potting bench/hutch - for outdoor use. Would need to be made out of treated lumber, I presume (I'm not a woodworker).
If you have a design or a sketch, the club does special projects. just stop by the Wood Shop building on Rolling Acres Road and ask.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Default Woodworker Club - Women Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlediver View Post
do you welcome women...I think I would like to learn this style of art.
We have many women among our members and welcome women to come into the shop. There are many education courses, as well as the members who provide help and guidance in the shop.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Shop has helped me on a couple of occasions

Very kind and knowledgeable....Requested a stand similar to TV trays to hold laptop computer next to sofa.....Very pleased and of course the cost was limited to cost of materials ($6.00)and of course they gladly take donations.....Nice bunch of people!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Very kind and knowledgeable....Requested a stand similar to TV trays to hold laptop computer next to sofa.....Very pleased and of course the cost was limited to cost of materials ($6.00)and of course they gladly take donations.....Nice bunch of people!
I have been a woodworker for many years and I am a member of a few woodworking forums. I can tell you that most woodworkers are the greatest guys and gals you will ever meet. Many will make anything you want for just the pleasure of it.

(Note: I have been here a year and have not been to woodworking shop-I discovered golf)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Default I need an 18 inch doll bed and a doll chair with a ottaman out of wood .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacam View Post
I am a member and am there most weekday mornings. If you like to make sawdust, that is the place. Nearly every woodworking machine you can imagine. You are not limited as to what you cn make, but now would be the season to make large projects as the shop sometimes get crowded in the winter. You can go to the shop anytime it is open, currently 6 days a week, and many evenings there are classes. If you don't have anything to do, there are always shop projects that can be done. Lots of folks bring in busted up furniture to be repaired, or a project they want to have made. There is also a group that makes toys for some of the area schools and homes. Also, there is a large group of woodcarvers and wood turners (we have 6 lathes). The club has a source where wood can be purchased.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Location: Newburyport, Ma, So Berwick, ME, Stratham, NH , Village of Buttonwood

Nice article in the Daily Sun on 11/28 page C4 regarding some of the projects going on and there is a raffle being held 12/5 for some handmade items. Can tour facility/buy raffle tickets 8-4 Monday through Friday.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.