What is the woodworking shop like?

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Founder
Default What is the woodworking shop like?

Before I moved to the Villages, I had a world class wood working shop in my NY home. I sold it all when I moved here. Does anybody know anything about the Villages wood working shop? What do they build? Can you go in anytime you wish during open hours. Do you have to have an appointed time? Can you build large projects, or are you limited to small things like bird houses?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What is the woodworking shop like?

Stop by and inquire. They will graciously answer all your questions.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Founder

I really appreciate your answer :bigthumbsup: I am hoping for some conversation here from a member, so that it can be shared with everybody who reads Talk of The Villages. If I go there, only I get the information. If it's posted here, thousands read it. ;D
Old 07-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

I'm no a woodworker nor a member of TV Woodworking Shop. But I did visit there a couple of months back and will briefly relate the story of my visit.

I was greeted by a fellow in the lobby when I walked in. He explained that one had to take a safety course before being able to use the equipment. I could see a group of wood carvers meeting in a meeting room adjacent to the lobby while I was there. The large glass windows overlooking the shop gave a view of a clean, well-equipped shop. But the story my host related of how the shop "happened" was even more interesting.

My host explained that several years ago the woodworkers around TV would run from one house to another where individuals had equipment in their garages to complete their projects. One day over a beer a group discussed meeting with TV management to propose the construction of a wood shop as an amenity. They put together a proposal and finally got a meeting with "da man".

After making their pitch the fellow they met with told them he'd think about their proposal and get back to them. On leaving they all thought that would be the last they heard on the subject.

But lo and behold, a couple of weeks later they we summoned back for a follow-up meeting. At that meeting the fellow they met with said he liked their proposal, but there was a problem. The group's enthusiasm rose and fell in an instant. Until they heard the "problem", that is.

The Villages rep explained that a wood shop would make a perfect amenity. But the problem was that he and his staff thought the shop that they had proposed was only about half as big as it should be. So, TV manager went on, they said they intended to accept the group's proposal, but they would build the shop and equipment about twice the size that they had proposed.

There was a catch. TV explained they would build the building, equip it with all the equipment that the group proposed, but once completed TV was "done". That is the woodworking group would have to form a club, charge dues or fees, run fund-raisers, or whatever, to fund operating expenses, equipment repair and replacement, insurance, etc. The group making the proposal gladly accepted the deal.

And so it is. The Villages Woodworking Shop appears to be up and running and doing quite well. All as the result of a group of residents who simply had the guts to ask.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:01 AM

I am a member and am there most weekday mornings. If you like to make sawdust, that is the place. Nearly every woodworking machine you can imagine. You are not limited as to what you cn make, but now would be the season to make large projects as the shop sometimes get crowded in the winter. You can go to the shop anytime it is open, currently 6 days a week, and many evenings there are classes. If you don't have anything to do, there are always shop projects that can be done. Lots of folks bring in busted up furniture to be repaired, or a project they want to have made. There is also a group that makes toys for some of the area schools and homes. Also, there is a large group of woodcarvers and wood turners (we have 6 lathes). The club has a source where wood can be purchased.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:39 AM

The Villages Woodworking Club web site is here:

www.vwc704.com
Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Send a message via AIM to Zass38

There is a new website for the Villages Woodworking Club:

http://www.thevwc.net
Old 08-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Sage

Good to know... thanks for the updated address.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Platinum member

To add to the Woodshop history, people should know that The Developer was exceptionally generous in donating over a million dollars to build and outfit the shop. When people criticize the Morses, sometimes they don't know about good things like this.

There is a one-time initiation fee of about $150 and annual dues currently of $45. With those funds the shop has expanded it's equipment and available supplies significantly. Just one example: a precision belt sanding machine was purchased a couple of years ago, at a cost of over $30,000. It will sand a flat surface of a least 30 inches in width to exact thousandths of an inch measure and the smoothness of glass.

Everyone must go to periodic trainings and volunteer at the shop. To keep your membership you must serve as shop monitor 12 hours per year. Whenever the shop is open three monitors are on duty to ensure that everything is done safely and things stay clean and organized. Shop volunteers manage every aspect of the operation. Talented repair crews have built storage, tool and parts organizers and machine accessories making the place amazingly efficient.

But I'm most proud that my fellow shop members have built and donated thousands of wooden toys to needy children in Florida throughout the years.
The Woodshop is one of the best amenities in TV.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Sage

Ijusluvit,
What a fabulous post. Thanks for the info. It's all good to know!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Great story about the shop - this will be one of my first stops after I move in, hopefully in about 18 months.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 PM

One of the hardest things about this move to TV was getting rid of my power equipment. Sorting, tagging and bagging dowels, shaker pegs and the like was awful. The hardware, adhesives and abrasives I gave away could have paid for part of the national debt. I cried when I gave away my compound mitre saw. But now. Now I am happy knowing that this shop exists. I love the smell of saw dust in the morning. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Thumbs up woodshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
To add to the Woodshop history, people should know that The Developer was exceptionally generous in donating over a million dollars to build and outfit the shop. When people criticize the Morses, sometimes they don't know about good things like this.

There is a one-time initiation fee of about $150 and annual dues currently of $45. With those funds the shop has expanded it's equipment and available supplies significantly. Just one example: a precision belt sanding machine was purchased a couple of years ago, at a cost of over $30,000. It will sand a flat surface of a least 30 inches in width to exact thousandths of an inch measure and the smoothness of glass.

Everyone must go to periodic trainings and volunteer at the shop. To keep your membership you must serve as shop monitor 12 hours per year. Whenever the shop is open three monitors are on duty to ensure that everything is done safely and thing s stay clean and organized. Shop volunteers manage every aspect of the operation. Talented repair crews have built storage, tool and parts organizers and machine accessories making the place amazingly efficient.

But I'm most proud that my fellow shop members have built and donated thousands of wooden toys to needy children in Florida throughout the years.
The Woodshop is one of the best amenities in TV.
I was impressed with canes that they were making for VETS
Old 08-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsanborn View Post
One of the hardest things about this move to TV was getting rid of my power equipment. Sorting, tagging and bagging dowels, shaker pegs and the like was awful. The hardware, adhesives and abrasives I gave away could have paid for part of the national debt. I cried when I gave away my compound mitre saw. But now. Now I am happy knowing that this shop exists. I love the smell of saw dust in the morning. Thanks.
I hear you. I sold alot of equipment, too. I couldn't wait to do some woodworking. Funny thing, I have been here over 10 months and I have not set foot in The Woodworking Shop. I never did much indoor stuff in the summer when I lived up north. It feels like summer all year round here.
I took up golf, bowling, darts, golf, horseshoes, photography, did I mention golf? Who knows though, maybe I'll head over to the shop this January.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Gold member

Are classes offered to teach me the basics of carpentry and stuff like that?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.