What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Veteran member
Default What was your profession?

I sold drugs...really. Not fully retired yet but have been a pharmacist for 35 years. Worked in retail pharmacy, Long Term Care (Omnicare), and Pharmaceutical Sales. Still putting in a few days a week at Wal-Mart. Any other retired pharmacists out there?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Retired 31 years with Verizon. 42 years as a Volunteer Fireman, last 5 years worked in construction on a mansion in Southampton, NY. Wife retired from Suffolk County Sheriff civilian side. Hope to NEVER work again. Don't think I could find enough spare hours to fit it in.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 AM

Spent 33 years as a prosecuting attorney in Connecticut retiring in July 2009 as Deputy Chief State's Attorney. Was a police officer/sergeant in the City of Hartford for 5 years before that while attending law school. Did two years as a lieutenant in the US Army Military Police Corps serving in Germany and Vietnam right after college.

Also did a little over 10 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician in my home town, 3 of them as Chief of the volunteer ambulance corps.

Now fully retired, bought a home in Village of Pennecamp and will be full time come September. Can't wait!!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Default Retired

After reading what you guys have retired from, I'm impressed to the point that I am almost embarrassed to admit that I was a simple farmer. I had 5 poultry houses and raised broilers. I contracted with Tyson and raised appr. 1 million per year. Also had pecan trees on the farm and sold them through a brokerage and made enough to pay the taxes on the farm. It was my wife's family farm, so I owe all that to her.

I'm proud of my wife. She retired last year as the principal of an elementary school. She's the one with the education and the brains, except for that lapse when she married me.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandwk View Post
After reading what you guys have retired from, I'm impressed to the point that I am almost embarrassed to admit that I was a simple farmer. I had 5 poultry houses and raised broilers. I contracted with Tyson and raised appr. 1 million per year. Also had pecan trees on the farm and sold them through a brokerage and made enough to pay the taxes on the farm. It was my wife's family farm, so I owe all that to her.

I'm proud of my wife. She retired last year as the principal of an elementary school. She's the one with the education and the brains, except for that lapse when she married me.
Don't minimize your accomplishment, I see alot of hard work there. We who like chicken and pecans thank you. Congrats. My Ted retired w 42 years with West Vaco, Finishing Superintendent. Me, I'm still working, Nurse Case Manager.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busoffusa View Post
I was a superintendent of Schools in Lake George, NY prior to retirement.
We LOVE Lake George.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 AM

I worked in Human Resources for the Department of Defense staffing schools on military bases overseas and stateside. (this is my first post..hope I did it right!)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Taltarzac
Default A man named Terry used to run some of these schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNana View Post
I worked in Human Resources for the Department of Defense staffing schools on military bases overseas and stateside. (this is my first post..hope I did it right!)
He used to come to the Doggie Doo Run Run with his dog but have not seen him in a year or more. Think he said that he ran schools in places like Italy, Korea (?) and other interesting countries.

He lived in the Villages with his wife but do not know what happened with him and his dog.

He had some interesting stories about how difficult it was to tell some parents that their kids were causing problems at school.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-05-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram

I'm not retired .....yet but hope that this is my last year teaching 2nd graders or any grade.
Husband retired once ... 30 years Army Special Forces. Now probation officers waiting for me to retire.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Default bmarlo767

Trying to retire again, Retired from USAirways as Captain after 35 yrs. Last flight to Paris stayed for a year.
Came back to US to work at White House in March 04.Started Work In China and Korea Jan 05 part time as instructor on Airbus 330. Am in Zhuhai China until Aug 1 then back to Villages for 3 weeks.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

This is a fascinating thread! It makes me wish I had tried the fantastic professions ALL of you have had. They were all crucial to this great country.
Me: trial lawyer
Wife: programmer
I am still struggling with what to do next.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Sage

Machinist/toolmaker in the aerospace industry. Started my career making custom guns, accessories and loading equipment for competition shooting.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:

Embarrassed? I admire you!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Farmers are my heroes, my dad and brothers are grain farmers, and my mom's side are dairy and vegetable farmers. You have my upmost respect, a farmer married to a teacher/educator, just doesn't get any better than that my friend.I'm the black sheep in the family(like i need to tell any of you
) i moved away to college and own a real estate investment company and don't want to ever retire.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:26 PM

im retired from northwest airlines.
1964 to 1974....ticket agent in detroit
1974 to 1979....asst manager at tampa airport
1979 to 1999...station manager at orlando airport
1999 to 2004...director of honolulu station
2004 to 2010 retired to pickwick dam tennessee
2010 till ??? village of rio grande in de laguna
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.