What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Sage
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

I'll keep that in mind Jersey - Let me know what you get around TV for work in the field. Maybe i'll follow suit.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

"I work with the most ill psychiatric women."

Jerseygirl...I would love to do something in that field.. Do you need a RN license? Tell me more, you have my full attention...

Sorry :cop: Topicop..The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Started career as a CPA, worked the last 24 years for a $1B+ pre-recorded music distributor, I was in charge of credit and collections. So pay up or else!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda
Oh my. And can you get back on an airplane after this? somehow I manage to get myself aboard despite knowing for sure that there is no reason for an object that heavy to remain aloft.
Linda, but from time to time flying is unavoidable and I continue to white knucle it from point A to Point B.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Veteran member

Me too, Nonie. I fly because I have to. But all the while I need to concentrate on good thoughts, not on what is actually happening (i.e. imminent death!)

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 AM

Retired from law enforcement after 32 years. Jefferson County, Alabama
Wife retired 28 years legal secretary

TV here we come
Old 01-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Gold member

Bama: Your gonna love it here!!!!

Better show up in that Tux so we will recognize you. ;D
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 AM

OKay Donna, horselover. What can I tell you? In NJ, you have to be an RN to work directly with the inmates, in my capacity. However, you can be a med-tech, working in the Infirmary passing out meds at a window, to hundreds of woman. That would drive me nuts. Also, LPN's are employed in prisons. Here's how I see it . . . somebody has to take care of inmates, so why not me. They "like the person giving them pills" so I'm not a threat to them. It's more safe (is that proper English)? than working in a hospital. Heck, I had psyche patients and med surg patients alike - throw things at me, smack me in the hospital. In the prison setting, there's always an officer right there. And, with the click of a radio, 20 more will be there in 20 seconds. Never felt threatened or scared. Felt both while working in a hospital, several times. And I love the inmates. They've never had stability in their lives; I like providing that for them. Very rewarding on my end. Pls. email me and we can chat further. Keep the responses coming. This is so interesting to read. Amazing careers!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Check your email JG...

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Sage

JG and Donna - I sent an e-mail to keep the topic cop off our butt :joke:
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Really not retired. Sadly, in the ranks of the unemployed. I was a legal secretary -- appellate law was my baby. Give me a 20-page brief and I'm in kitty heaven.

Now, I'm hoping to start a business here doing all the things everyone hates or just doesn't have the time to do -- clean homes, babysit pets, watch your home while it's empty, do your grocery shopping, write your letters, organize your checkbook and basic finances, etc. I hope this takes off. Right now, trying to figure out how to advertise on the cheap until it gets going a little.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Not retired yet, but hoping to be in a couple of years. I've had 2 careers. First in marketing. Was part of the group that started L'eggs pantyhose in 1969. Those years were lots of fun. Later years my father developed Alzheimers and I did something I swore I'd never do. Went back home to small town and took over family business (small town funeral home). Quite a change for my wife, who was born in Brooklyn and grew up in California. Anyway, still here but hoping to move to warmer climes someday.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Husband was a police officer until he retired in 2004. I'm still working full-time as a litigation paralgal and I'm pretty steamed about it! I want to retire, too.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Taltarzac

Not really retired either. Working on exploring various possible opportunities.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Veteran member

I was the director of human resources for the Marine Corps nonappropriated fund employees at headquarters Marine Corps for many years. Total civilian service to the Marine Corps was 28 years. I was not a government employee. The 10,000 employees who were nonappropriated were paid from profits we were allowed to earn at the Marine Corps exchanges, etc. We ran all the morale, welfare and recreation activities on board each Marine Corps Base in the world. Was a wonderful career and I love most every minute of it. Was located at Quantico Marine Corps Base, just outside Washington D.C.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.