What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

I'm retired from Citigroup as of 11/15/07 - held various positions in financial education, client acquisition, account management and marketing. Also taught marketing P/T at St. John's University in NY. Still maintain Certified Financial Planner designation.
Hubby retired after 39 years from Equitable/AXA and was former President of the Equitable/AXA retiree club on Long Island. Worked P/T as a travel consultant for several years (hence, Travelstiles).
Happy ending - we met on one of the trips he was running 10 years ago and are now happily ever after in The Villages
Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Me....Retired Nassau County NY Police Officer. FBI trained ingerprint analyst then investigator for lost/stolen firearms. Now I just play with my Corvette and relax.

Wife.... High School history and US Govt teacher. She still loves her job so we can't be in TV as much as we would like.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Eternal Member

Low-level, tax-devouring bureaucrat with the Department of the Army. Started out as a COBOL and FORTRAN programmer back in the brown shoe days. Ended up as a paper-pushing DC drone who had to get technical assistance from a prepubescent intern whenever my PC burped. 024 ::

On the plus side, I got to see a lot of great places and meet a lot of great people. Toujours Pret.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Sage

Hubby - Veterinarian. He decided to retire this last Nov. and here we are. He had his own practice for 34 years in Illinois. So, now after only about 3 months, he feels he retired too soon. Men! > So, he took his boards in FL and I think he'll be working a couple days a week at the Animal Hospital of Leesburg. He doesn't want to work full time but misses the medicine and the animals. (He's a great doctor! :#1

Me -- still not retired and probably never will. Background is in writing. First public relations for Gucci when they first arrived in Chicago. Also Woman's Day Magazine. Then went into advertising as a copywriter, copy supervisor, then Creative Dir. and stayed with that for over 20 years. First Leo Burnett, then The Don Tennant Agency. Don Tennant created Tony the Tiger and he actually was a short man that walked around saying everything was "Grrreaaat!" Drifted into computer Graphic Design, trained by a genius neighbor, so I still have many freelance clients and work from home. Lucky enough to be able to book clients around all the fun activities I want to do in TV.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Send a message via MSN to funnygirl

Hubby... retired Airforce Pilot. After retirement from the Airforce he taught college Economics part time and also was Human Resources Officer for Contra Costa County, Ca. Headstart program. He's now fully retired and having a ball doing all TV has to offer.
I'm an RN for 37 years (since dinosaurs roamed the earth) and still working... probably will retire within a year. I'm now a Home Health Nurse and enjoy it. I worked at TV hospital for 18 months. I didn't find that position particularly rewarding so I left.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Sage

All of your professions are so impressive and I admire you all for your many years of hard work, you certainly deserve retirement in a wonderful place llike the "villages"

I have been a married financial leech for 36 years. Have bought and sold antiques over the years . However, I am very grateful that I have had this position because it has enabled me to become a full time volunteer at our l;ocal animal shelter for almost 20 years now. This had been my hearts desire for most of my life so a great big ThankYou to my very supportive hubby for putting up with me and making this possible.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Veteran member

This interesting topic deserves a BUMP up!

When I turned 60 my birthday present to myself was to RETIRE!! Besides, I had just injured my knees (torn meniscus) and the pain was bothering me............. plus......... when I complained to my employer about adverse working conditions, the response was "retire". OK, so I did. That was after 18 years of working as a law enforcement secretary in Miami-Dade County, Florida. My final assignment was Administrative Assistant for the Chief of Police. I also worked in Narcotics, Public Information, Internal Affairs, Detective Division, and was an active participant in the local Citizens Crime Watch Mobile Patrol, for 7 years. Perhaps that's why I'm sensitive to crime
Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

FreeLance Gynecologist
Thinking about retiring at 92
Wat did ya expect from me? ;D
Handie :joke:
Old 03-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Dancing Thyme

Handie,

that's next year???

Thought you were retiring this year?? :dontknow:

Your ex-friend, Kathie ;D

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 PM

Hubby has been in the banking business for 36 years, and does commercial loans. He will be retiring as soon as the house in NC sells.

As for me, I was a hairdresser for 35 years, til 2 years ago,
when I crushed my fingers on my right hand. :yikes:
Also a real estate broker for 30 years, but mostly for referrals.
Now I call myself a temp... lots of temporary jobs,,, catering, decorating, faux painting, tiling, etc.

Can't wait til the house sells and we're here full time, so we can just play...

Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Me.........still grain farming with my two sons.
Wife ..........retired last month 22 years as city postal carrier

Enjoying are time in TV in the Village of Duval
Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

So many interesting careers from everyone. Mine is kind of dull by comparison, but have done a few interesting things.

Started out as a master electrician and paid my way through college doing that type work, went in the Airforce and was a pilot, took an early out at the end of the Vietnam war. Of course there were 20,000 other pilots getting out so commercial work was tough to find. I worked PT for IBM before college so went there and spent 30 years, (IBM stands for I've Been Moved) retired, got bored, went to CSC where I managed there data centers scattered all over the world. So my passport has run out of pages after the 3rd set of added pages, so it must be time to retire. In a year or two maybe. I robbed the cradle when I married Mrs l2 so she still wants to work a while longer.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:09 AM

Will be semi retiring after the sale of our MA home which is currently listed; banking professional for 30 years- retail banking; instructional designer and trainer; director of leadership and management development; consultant for LOBs; currently in education - director of membership enrollment /B2B for financial college; husband is an attorney - have home in TV and anxious to be there!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:45 AM

I taught high school English, physical education and coached basketball and tennis. In the early 70's when Title 9 (equal sports for girls) was being enforced in our high schools, my job was to go to various high schools and begin the basketball program for girls. I got tired of smelling gyms and retired from teaching to sell real estate for 17 years. Retired at the end of '07. Hubby is a retired Industrial/Mechanical Engineer. Worked in Chemical plants and was instrumental in several start up plants in India, Japan, and Mexico. He was with the old Uniryoyal Chemical Company in Baton Rouge for 47 years. We will be in TV March 6 thru 12 to buy a home. Wish us luck!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:13 PM

I'm a civil engineer specializing in Traffic and Safety Engineering. Am still working but hope to retire this summer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.