What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

MELZ
That would be Basic Assembler Language as I remember it from the mid 60s. I started on Autocoder in 61, got out of the programming end and into operating systems in 67. Been gone from it since 99 so I wouldn't know a wordmark from a IPL sequence anymore!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Susan –
I am so envious of what you do – that is what it’s all about……
.............and of all of you who were with the same company for long periods of time.

I have had numerous jobs due to working 5 years before having children, my husband’s transfers, stay at home mom and then divorce. I read somewhere recently that the graduates of today will have an average of 12-15 jobs before retirement.

5 years – Consumer Advertising – Reynolds Metals Co.
2 years – on start up team of Virginia State Lottery
6 years – Exec Asst to VP & General Counsel of CSX Corp.
15 years – Resort Property Manager and Real Estate Sales Agent
Currently looking unsuccessfully for part-time

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenj
Haven't retired yet (which is why I am in TV only part time). I have been an RN for 30 years- ER, office, hospital supervisor and since 1995 an in-hospital educator. I love being an educator and ran our hospital's surgical technologist program for 8 years and now work in our hospital's new simulation center teaching crisis resource management among other things. The "other career" I've had is writing 2 successful textbooks- they are on surgical instruments and supplies. Not destined to make Oprah's best seller list but successful enough to make owning a vacation (and in the future, retirement) home in TV a reality. All in all a rewarding career so far...
I heard someone with the same story say...., " I flunked retirement"
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Veteran member

Well, Sadly, I'm not retired yet.......I have 1035 more days to go...(less then 3 years).
Mel, I have a countdown clock as a dashboard widget on my Mac. ;D

I'm a Professional Firefighter and Medic for a small city in Western NY. I am also a NYS Certified Instructor for EMS....I enjoy teaching. I am also currently working towards my certification as a licensed professional home inspector.

My wife started staying home when the first baby came, with the intent of returning her job as an accountant and fiscal office manager for the local hospital, but instead stayed home to raise our 3 boys and help do renovation work on our homes.

We also have done a lot of renovation work, flipping, etc. We designed and built our own house here in NY, and are happiest with a tool in our hands. My wife can do electrical, plumbing, just about anything.......I don't know why she needs me around, just a masochist I guess. When I'm not doing work for other people, I try to get my own projects done.

We bought our home in The Plantation right down the road from you good people, and can't wait to be full time Floridians......We are currently down there a few times a year, and will be there next month for about 4 weeks....yippee!! See ya then...

Frank D.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 AM

JMD - retired stay at home mom, the youngest is now 30.
LED - retired 30+ years in Public Works and Water Supply in NJ.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Gold member

784 I don't believe what you wrote about being a "Mystery Cruiser."

Believe it or not but there is such a job. I will be doing it from Sept. 17 to either Oct. 2/5 on :edit: cruise line on a transatlantic voyage.

I will let you know how you get to do it.

HB
Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Gold member

faithfulfrank,

We have been to Batavia - I am with three different Critical Incident Stress Management/Debriefing units. I will never give up doing this - for me it is as a volunteer. All the teams I am a member of are made up of volunteers.

HB
Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Send a message via AIM to pwdasher

We own and operate an Auto Parts business in Folkston, Ga. Not yet retired, but looking forward to the day we can be full time residents in our home in TV.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 AM
Veteran member

HB,
I'm involved with Western NY Stress management...taken many classes from Bonnie Fraiser, Grady Bray, etc.....
I've lessened my involvement somewhat now that my NY days are numbered...I've got Florida fever and I don't want to be cured...!

Frank D.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:24 AM

I was a high school music and speech/drama teacher for over 30 years. Also coached football and golf. I have also worked PT at a private golf course in the Chicago area for 30 years(free golf). I'm hoping to get a PT job at one of the courses in TV. My wife has been a high school business ed. and english teacher for over 30 years. Her bigger job is to put up with my obnoxious ways and be the boss of the house. I retired in June and she has one more school year to go. Then we'll be full-timers.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:40 AM

My husband and I were both mainframe systems programmers, and yes, MelZ, we know what BAL is and it still lives as HLASM. Hubby said to say he was a BALR... Basic Assembler Language Rummy. We both worked for McDonnell Douglas and IBM and are now retired.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 AM

I'm not yet retired. I work as an accounting manager, although I now spend over half my time on non-accounting related administrative duties like procurement integrity and disaster planning and response.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Dutchman
Fizzbyn

IOU an adult beverage.

Faithful Frank

Clock says 1348 days for me

Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Sage

Not retired yet...but I can see the finish line. I am a Medical Technologist who figured out Laboratory Information Systems when they first hit the lab. I work for a large Diagnostic Company Beckman Coulter as the primary computer guru.

My recent project is a new set of rules for labs for which my company has submitted
a patent claim.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:03 PM

I just love reading all these posts DAILY, and had to jump in here. I will be taking early retirement at age 56 in THREE months and counting. I have been an IT professional in the NY area since 1974, and am currently a Director leading global implementations for a Fortune 100 company. I am looking forward to purchasing and relocating to TV within a year! I visited for the first time a year ago, was back for a preview in June and am sold and committed! no question at all!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.