What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

Thanks, MelZ. I also know what an Automated Tape Library is... do I get another drink? Actually, my husband and I met while working together in a totally NON-automated tape library in 1973, so tape libraries hold a special meaning for me.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

fizzbyn

Sure but you have to wait until Xmas when we come down
Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Gold member

I am surprised by how many responses are... "I'm not retired yet". It's interesting to note that last month's AARP bulletin had a story entitled, "Opps, I Retired Too Soon".
Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM

me, building contractor , concrete const. company and last 20 yrs a construction superintendant,
wife, office manager for a marine const co on Cape Cod

drd
Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

rshoffer
Great article..I hope more people have read it.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 PM

rschoffer- Interesting that someone has the same story as me but I haven't tried retirement yet so I can't say that I've "flunked it". I'm sure I will stay doing something when I "retire" but it will be less than working two jobs!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzbyn
Thanks, MelZ. I also know what an Automated Tape Library is... do I get another drink? Actually, my husband and I met while working together in a totally NON-automated tape library in 1973, so tape libraries hold a special meaning for me.
In the late 70's we put in a very large ATL (can't remember if we used 2401s or not) that had about 40-50 stations hanging off a souped up 360-65. The problem was space. We had to make about a 90 degree turn. The technology of the system was easy. The mechanics of making that turn was a :edit:.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 09-04-2008, 01:28 AM

Retired after 27 years with Verizon Network Operations in Manhattan. Sonet ring networks, fiber optics, fiosTV etc.....
Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 AM

MelZ - we're still in Tucson. We're planning on coming in January if our house here doesn't sell, but earlier if it does. You'll probably be there before us.

Muncle - I operated the 360-65, but we didn't have anything automated hanging off of it, which was probably a good thing. Automated things in the late '70s required many labor intensive hours.

Speaking of labor intensive, does anyone remember the 3850 Mass Storage system? I was in Data Management when it was installed and our job was to fix the data related problems that came up. I remember middle-of -the-night calls after the CE extracted the cartridge and there it would be in all its glory, sitting on the manager's desk with its tape hanging out all mangled. We had special home-made tools to take it apart. I'd iron the tape (with an actual iron), cut the top to shape and hope the Mass Storage unit would buy it. If not, there was much more to do and I won't go into it. Oh, how I miss those days :'(
Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
My wife and I are still working:

Me: Currently a software engineering manager. As many know I'm in school now to become an RN. I graduate at the end of this year. Hope to work at TV Regional within the next three years.

Linda: She has been an at home day care provider for the past 15 years. She currently has 6 kids that range in age from 5 months to 8 years.
I repeated my post from back in Jan. but I wanted to tell MelZ that not only was I a BAL programmer for the first 15 years of my career but my company still relies on it today! We are in a very long process of converting everything to JAVA though. About 2/3 done. Russ
Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Still working. We're a lawyer and Social Services Director, in that order.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Gold member

I am a Travel Agent and do not believe I will ever retire from this profession. I enjoy it to much. I have learned so much from others and at the same time met wonderful people.

I love to fulfill peoples dreams of where they want to go, sometimes this is quite challenging (I enjoy the challenge), how to do it and explore areas where they might want to go. I have met fantastic people doing this.

I am someone who loves to learn new things. This profession is perfect for me in that sense as there is always something new to learn and another challenge to meet.

My career has been quite rewarding - not only in working with other people but for myself. I have studied, taken exams and reached the highest level with some cruise lines. I am in the process of creating a new program with one of the cruise lines - that I iniated.

I like what I am doing to much to ever retire from this Profession.

HB
Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallerTrees
Still working. We're a lawyer and Social Services Director, in that order.
So does that mean that "Taller" is a lawyer and "Trees" is a Social Service Direstor?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

The list of people I owe drinks to continues to grow.

Boy do I remember the MSU, I was a System Analyst/System Programmer for RCA EDP. We made a clone of the 360 series call the Spectra. They were compatible at the source language level.

One of my sites was NYC department of Social Services which had a 360/40, 360/30, Spectra 70/45 and Spectra 70/35.

They has a MSU (From RCA) which used Magnetic cards, I loved to watch it work. It was a feat of mechanical engineering that ususally worked great but every once is a while their was a card jam. That was when things go exciting.

When I transitioned into sales I sold them a 70/35, it's sole purpose was to print food stamps. At a rate of 1400 lines per minute, our tax dollars at work.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My husband has worked without interruption for the International Truck and Engine company for 47 years, the last four after retiring. He started out as a worker who broke down shipping pallets (sp?) at night during college and continued on, doing different jobs, and is still being or doing National Accounts Manager. Soon, soon to retire. I began as a teacher and switched in the middle to own an apparel rep agency and now after retirement, do a substantial amount of ebay. I sell dance leotards.

(I had posted all the times incorrectly before. Now Sweetie has done the math. This is accurate.)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.