What's The Best Way to Rent Out An Unfurnished House?

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Default What's The Best Way to Rent Out An Unfurnished House?

Our designer home will most likely be finished end of Dec/beginning of January. We will not be able to move into it until next summer. We would love to be able to rent it out for 3 - 6 months.

A lovely user (Sable99) on TOTV suggested I contact JD&V Management about renting it out. When I spoke to them, they said they RARELY get requests for unfurnished short-term rentals. If we were to furnish it, she could have a great deal of success renting it short term. Don't really relish the idea of furnishing it to the standards it would need to be furnished...

But I'm pretty certain there must be a market for short-term unfurnished rentals...somone comes to TV falls in love...ready to move...but has to wait 70+/- days for their house to be built...oh, wait! Here's a short-term unfurnished rental!

I think I remember reading something about that on this forum...please, someone, refresh my memory!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcTeacher View Post
Our designer home will most likely be finished end of Dec/beginning of January. We will not be able to move into it until next summer. We would love to be able to rent it out for 3 - 6 months.

A lovely user (Sable99) on TOTV suggested I contact JD&V Management about renting it out. When I spoke to them, they said they RARELY get requests for unfurnished short-term rentals. If we were to furnish it, she could have a great deal of success renting it short term. Don't really relish the idea of furnishing it to the standards it would need to be furnished...

But I'm pretty certain there must be a market for short-term unfurnished rentals...somone comes to TV falls in love...ready to move...but has to wait 70+/- days for their house to be built...oh, wait! Here's a short-term unfurnished rental!

I think I remember reading something about that on this forum...please, someone, refresh my memory!
My friend use Homes4Rent.com... They do very well keeping it rented. in fact they just got a rental for 2 years...
Old 07-21-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeybabe View Post
My friend use Homes4Rent.com... They do very well keeping it rented. in fact they just got a rental for 2 years...
Bogeybabe: Thanks for that, BUT...I think I need something specific to The Villages! This is a SHORT-TERM unfurnished rental. Your post mentioned a 2-year rental...that's not what we are dealing with.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!
Default Staging

A thought, but won't allow for quite as much profit. I used a stager to help sell my investment property. However, they also rent some of their furniture for short term. You might check to see how much it would cost to minimally supply your home for 6 months. The problem occurs if you only are able to rent it for one or two months though. Or you could contact a realtor (major) to see if they have a relocation department. Sometimes companies will relocate someone for 6 months or so while they shop for a new home... Hope you find an equitable solution!
If I recall, I think Trish Crocker is a realtor? Perhaps she might have an idea for you! Or ask your agent there too!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

most that want unfurnished need a year. too much moving of stuff for only 3 to 6 months. Our thought was we couldn't come for almost a year so we moved everything we wanted to TV and bought what was left there and then rented out. Yep house up north was a little bear but its working great and when we come down for good i don't have much to deal with. use thevillages4rent.com and had to turn away people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.