Whats the definition of a bar??

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Easy to throw small business owners, cooks, servers, bar tenders under the bus when you aren't financially at zero. We may get there, but people that work for a living also need the almighty dollar. Do you have a solution for them?
I agree. People that aren't concerned about the economy or talk about the "almighty dollar" don't seem to understand that closing businesses hurts those at the lower end of the pay scale more than anyone. Wait staff, cleaning people etc are counting on their pay checks and tips to simply live.

The Stock market is not the economy. Businesses closing is not just about the owners or investors. It is about all of the employees not have a job.

The economy is a big concern. If we shut down everything because of the virus, we may slow the spread of the virus while people starved to death.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:43 AM

Everyone needs to make their own decisions, and assume their own risks. Many people(non-retirees) in this area, do not have the economic well-being to just merely sit home, while their bills pile up. So, for those among us that are at risk, stay home. But, to mandate that on those unfortunate people, is not realistic. The government is only considering a one-time stimulus, which will only provide limited and temporary relief for some of those individuals. What about the THOUSANDS of construction workers building houses down south??? Do we kick them off the site? It's not that simple. It is for those of you that have the means, while criticizing others.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:03 AM

Are folks sitting six feet from each other at the bar?
Old 03-19-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidop View Post
And a nightclub (according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary) is " a place of entertainment open at night usually serving food and liquor and providing music and space for dancing and often having a floor show" Why is Katie Belle's still open ? They are running under the guise of being a restaurant.
We had reservations for a show on Monday night that we purchased mid February. When the CDC came out with new guidance on Monday morning restricting crowds to 10 people or less, I called Katie Belle's and told them I wanted to cancel due to covid-19 and, the fact that a good percentage of people in the crowd are visitors from other states, I felt the need to protect my family. They told me they had a 48 hour cancellation policy and that they would not refund my $140 because they are a business and exempt from such rules. That is the attitude of Villages owned and rented facilities. A bar is not a bar, a nightclub is not a nightclub - they are all restaurants! It's all about the money - not your health.
Please finish the story. Did you go to the show or did you stay home to protect your family? Why was a full refund pivotal? Were you unwilling to spend $140 to protect yourself and your family? Why didn’t you cancel before the morning of the show? Why did you wait for the government to tell you what to do?

We all need to accept personal responsibility.

We can start by asking ourselves if we are being part of the solution, or are we being part of the problem?
Old 03-19-2020, 11:20 AM

If we are unwilling to help slow this illness we may be condemned to repeat the history except this time it is not just one Mary who is a silent carrier. This time it is many, many Mary’s who will infect others.

Typhoid Mary
Mary Mallon - Wikipedia

If you socially distance yourself, you might imagine how heroic you are because your choice may very well have meant that a doctor might not have had to make the gut-wrenching choice of who gets a ventilator and who doesn’t. (some doctors are in that position now in Italy.) Because of your decision, some family will be celebrating another birthday rather than grieving a loss.

You can make a commitment to help others stay healthy and you may even help yourself.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
ALL resturants at the squares were open and plenty of people at the bar..???
Maybe they were drinking Corona!
Old 03-19-2020, 12:07 PM

No we did not go to the show - because I am part of the solution not part of the problem. They can give my $140 worth of food to the Wildwood Food Bank. Sometimes governments have to step in when the population loses site of common sense. On Tuesday Katie Belles was ordered to cut their seating in half !
Old 03-19-2020, 07:16 PM
Default Lighthouse

The lighthouse restaurant is 80% revenue from food and 20% from liquior. This makes it a restaurant. They have a great idea. 10 people are allowed inside at a time. They spread out 10 to 15 tables along boardwalk and entrance sidewalks. Wait staff takes care of your party, some tables 10 feet apart. Good management!!

Last edited by Decadeofdave; 03-19-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 03-19-2020, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
Everyone needs to make their own decisions, and assume their own risks. Many people(non-retirees) in this area, do not have the economic well-being to just merely sit home, while their bills pile up. So, for those among us that are at risk, stay home. But, to mandate that on those unfortunate people, is not realistic. The government is only considering a one-time stimulus, which will only provide limited and temporary relief for some of those individuals. What about the THOUSANDS of construction workers building houses down south??? Do we kick them off the site? It's not that simple. It is for those of you that have the means, while criticizing others.
Part of your post raises an interesting question: has The Villages stopped building due to the virus threat?
Old 03-20-2020, 05:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

There are no so call “bars” in TV they are not allow. They are all restaurants with bars
Old 03-20-2020, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,713 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz@comcast.net View Post
There are no so call “bars” in TV they are not allow. They are all restaurants with bars
What law, rule, or policy prohibits bars?
Old 03-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Doesn't matter now. Shame on those that ducked behind technicalities. Never will I ever step foot into Katie Belle's in the future.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

It's all moot - all restaurants (and bars) and barber shops and nail places were shut down by the Gov today at 4PM (not sure when it is effective) so just close this thread. By the way, as a point of info, the Florida Health Dept is 100% in control of The Villages restaurants, bars etc and The Villages has no part in it whatsoever (per an email I received from the VCCD asking who controls it). They were still sitting shoulder to shoulder at the bar at Red Sauce and that so-called fish place across from them. Villages said "not our problemo call FL Health Dept."
Edit: Starbucks in LSL is closing today as of end of business and City Fire was already shut down (all as of 4:30PM)
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, definition, resturants, squares, open

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.