What's the Difference Between POA & VHA?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Clarify

In about 2000 the POA won a significant law suit ($40M) against the Developer because of lack of saving some of the profits that were received to protect the Orange Blosom Rec, Center etc.. When there was a refusal to correct the condition, (e.g.allegedly rats in the ceiling, etc.) the POA sued the Developer and won the $40 Million. In addition some of Board Members of the POA were rewarded by the court for their sacrifice of putting their own personal monies up to protect the residents. It was recognized they risked their own money to support the residents. None of them could change their life style for the amount they received from the court. The Developer allegedly was angry that the POA was awarded a win and there was a pledge to set up the VHA and the Developer would use it as a counter to the POA. This goes on as of today. It should be noted that the residents continue to receive benifits from the POA actions. Some of the carts paths improvements etc are from that $40M. I believe some of the $40M is still available to help the residents. Given these are a true representation of why the POA / VHA exist today it can be concluded that it is reasonable that the VHA supports the Developer and the POA represents the residents. Anything else is smoke to protect one or the other organization. Why POA Member meetings open to all while to VHA only open to members. It important to let the sunshine in.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:24 PM

So, as I spend time trying to learn all there is to know about TV, I sometimes come across a curious item – like seeing the two different associations. I really appreciate the replies because whether they are entirely factual or merely an opinion, they provide information. POA here I come!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:43 PM

I agree with this. I prefer the POA to look out for our best interest.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Kay View Post
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion....I have voiced mine....and you and all others have voiced theirs. That is what freedom of speech is all about. I not only have been a Villager almost two years, but am proud to say I am the VHA VP of the Southern Region (all Villages south of 466A). So I would say my freedom of speech opinion comes very highly regarded.
Excellent. Since you are a VHA VP, you can answer the two questions that I raised in an earlier post, to wit:

1. How much does the VHA pay the Daily Sun for printing and delivery of The Voice?
2. Can you name one instance where the position of the VHA has been in conflict with the interests of the Developer?

I will also add a third question: Are you, as a VHA VP, troubled at all by the close relationship that the Developer has with the VHA and with past presidents of the VHA (see Rubicon's earlier post)?
Old 02-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Excellent. Since you are a VHA VP, you can answer the two questions that I raised in an earlier post, to wit:

1. How much does the VHA pay the Daily Sun for printing and delivery of The Voice?
2. Can you name one instance where the position of the VHA has been in conflict with the interests of the Developer?

I will also add a third question: Are you, as a VHA VP, troubled at all by the close relationship that the Developer has with the VHA and with past presidents of the VHA (see Rubicon's earlier post)?
For full disclousre, what association does Advogodo have with the POA? It appears from his writings that he may be an "offical" within the POA
organization. Lest you want to attack me, I belong to both organizations.

It also appears if Advagodo is very negative towards TV and its developers. It makes me question if he is a resident of TV? If yes, why? If it is so bad as you are making it sound, why do you continue to live here? Just askin'...

BTW, can some of that $40 million be used to srtripe the paths?
Old 02-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Or overpay for a broken down restaurant(or was it a rec center?) that is now being torn down. And in the end where will the parking be for the new rec center. That ACC sure knows what they are doing.........................
Old 02-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
For full disclousre, what association does Advogodo have with the POA? It appears from his writings that he may be an "offical" within the POA

It also appears if Advagodo is very negative towards TV and its developers. It makes me question if he is a resident of TV? If yes, why? If it is so bad as you are making it sound, why do you continue to live here? Just askin'...

Why are you attacking the messenger rather than addressing the issues?

But to answer your questions:
1. I am a member of, but not an officer or director of, the POA. Needless to say, I am not a member of the VHA.
2. Fear not, I don't want to "attack" you or anybody else.
3. I am not negative toward the Developer or The Villages. The Developer has done a marvelous job developing The Villages, and has shown absolute genius in that regard. However, the Developer's interests do not always coincide with those of The Villagers, although they do in most cases. Since the Developer controls the TV station, the radio station, the newspaper, many local businesses, and a lot of the local politicians, and since the Developer's interests do not always coincide with those of the residents, I think that it just might be be in the interests of Villagers to have a homeowners' association (like the POA) that is independent of the Developer.
4. I love living here in The Villages, and have no intention of leaving, but thanks for the suggestion.

Now that that I have answered your personal attacks and refused to move out of The Villages, what do you think about the issues raised in this thread?

BTW, it is interesting that you bring up the matter of the $40 million derived from the class action. Don't forget it took a lawsuit, backed by the POA, to get the Developer to admit that he had "shorted" the residents by that amount in the sale of amenities to the Center District that he controls.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Or overpay for a broken down restaurant(or was it a rec center?) that is now being torn down. And in the end where will the parking be for the new rec center. That ACC sure knows what they are doing.........................
You are going to take this in a different direction.... This discussion is about the VHA vs POA. Discusding the ACC is a whole other topic...
Old 02-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
In about 2000 the POA won a significant law suit ($40M) against the Developer because of lack of saving some of the profits that were received to protect the Orange Blosom Rec, Center etc.. When there was a refusal to correct the condition, (e.g.allegedly rats in the ceiling, etc.) the POA sued the Developer and won the $40 Million. In addition some of Board Members of the POA were rewarded by the court for their sacrifice of putting their own personal monies up to protect the residents. It was recognized they risked their own money to support the residents. None of them could change their life style for the amount they received from the court. The Developer allegedly was angry that the POA was awarded a win and there was a pledge to set up the VHA and the Developer would use it as a counter to the POA. This goes on as of today. It should be noted that the residents continue to receive benifits from the POA actions. Some of the carts paths improvements etc are from that $40M. I believe some of the $40M is still available to help the residents. Given these are a true representation of why the POA / VHA exist today it can be concluded that it is reasonable that the VHA supports the Developer and the POA represents the residents. Anything else is smoke to protect one or the other organization. Why POA Member meetings open to all while to VHA only open to members. It important to let the sunshine in.
For the record the VHA was formed in 1990. The class action law suit was settled in 2008.
Property Owners, Association of Florida
The Villages Homeowners Association Home Page - The Villages Homeowners Association
Old 02-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Sage

Quote:

Please don't fall into the mindset that criticism of some actions of the developer/district indicate displeasure of TV as a whole. Just because people see flaws doesn't mean they don't appreciate what has been created here.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:25 PM

VHA never disagres with the developer. This is a homeowners association ? NOT !
Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Please don't fall into the mindset that criticism of some actions of the developer/district indicate displeasure of TV as a whole. Just because people see flaws doesn't mean they don't appreciate what has been created here.
I agree with what you are saying. However, some of the posters on this topic have a particularly sharp ax to grind against the VHA. If i was a potential buyer reading these post would make me have second thoughts!

People come on here an make blanket statements like it is the gospal. Do that, and I am going to call you out. Make a good argument supported by verifiable facts!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
BTW, it is interesting that you bring up the matter of the $40 million derived from the class action. Don't forget it took a lawsuit, backed by the POA, to get the Developer to admit that he had "shorted" the residents by that amount in the sale of amenities to the Center District that he controls.
I did not bring up the $40 mil, another poster did.. But since you are aware of the settlement, what is this money bring used for? Was it returned to the residents? If not, who controls the use of the funds? How are decisions made to spend the money? Who is benifiting from this money?

Last edited by Mleeja; 02-21-2015 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-21-2015, 08:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Kay View Post
but am proud to say I am the VHA VP of the Southern Region (all Villages south of 466A). So I would say my freedom of speech opinion comes very highly regarded.
Uhhh! What?

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 02-21-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I did not bring up the $40 mil, another poster did.. But since you are aware of the settlement, what is this money bring used for? Was it returned to the residents? If not, who controls the use of the funds? How are decisions made to spend the money? Who is benifiting from this money?
The simple answer is that it is being paid, by the Developer in installments, to the Villages Center Community Development District. The funds are being used by the VCCDD for amenity projects, such as repairing recreation centers and the cart paths north of Rte. 466. As to Who benefits? You and everybody else who lives in The Villages do. As I understand it, the amenity system, thanks to the settlement funds, is now in pretty good shape.

For more information, go to poa4us.org and click on Class Action Lawsuit.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.