What's the Difference in VHA and POA

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Question What's the Difference in VHA and POA

We will be moving into our home full time in 60 days and will want to get active in The Villages and support the group that works for us to make our time enjoyable. Not sure what these two groups do and if either are worthwhile. Any thought would be helpful.

Last edited by Dennis Ga; 03-14-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

VHA is the official developer approved homeowner organization. The POA is an independent homeowner driven organization.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM

I use the terms "good cop" to describe the VHA and "bad cop" to describe the POA. These descriptions are used with the interaction with the developers. Both organizations are important to villagers depending on the circumstances. I belong to both and have used both in differing problems. Hope this helps to clear up some confusion.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Poa, c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Ga View Post
We will be moving into our home full time in 60 days and will want to get active in The Villages and support the group that works for us to make our time enjoyable. Not sure what these two groups do and if either are worthwhile. Any thought would be helpful.
I found the info in this POA bulletin to help me in to understand the various acronyms that I didn't understand...POA, CDD's, VHA, VCCDD,SLCDD, etc.
Go to page 13: http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...etin201203.pdf

Whatever you do, don't give me a quiz....unless it's an OBT...Open Book Test!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
VHA is the official developer approved homeowner organization. The POA is an independent homeowner driven organization.
The VHA is outrageously supportive of the developer. The POA is outrageously critical of the developer. Somewhere in between we need a rational organization to communicate important issues in an unbiased manner as neither of these two groups are worth wasting a whole bunch of time on.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Gold member

I just read the last issue of the POA and it explains a lot of what they do for the homeowners. They certainly have helped resolve a few issues people had with their roofs and siding. Most of the time to try to be unbiased. It is interesting that in the beginning the developer atually worked with the POA. That information is in the current issue. Just my humble opinion.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
The VHA is outrageously supportive of the developer. The POA is outrageously critical of the developer. Somewhere in between we need a rational organization to communicate important issues in an unbiased manner as neither of these two groups are worth wasting a whole bunch of time on.
When we first arrived here, the POA was an outspoken critic of the developer, although at the time, they were dealing with the vinyl siding issue and getting nowhere with the warranty department. Residents were being told everything was OK, when it was obvious siding was not being installed per the manufacturer's instructions. The VHA sided with the developer. I can remember the developer attending a VHA meeting after the tornado remarking that the siding was OK because pieces of houses damaged by the tornado still had siding attached. Perhaps, at that time, the POA needed to be strident.

Since then, the POA has reduced the volume and has become, IMO, more of a watchdog for the residents. They still take on projects that need to be addressed, such as the A/C line problems, the AT&T cell reception problem, and the attempt to get real numbers about golf cart accidents. They are watching the IRS/bond issue and reporting each step in the process. Their newsletter often praises the developer for the vision to create this community and supports many of the efforts of the CDDs. I don't see them taking the opposing side of an issue just to be contrary.

I am now a member of the POA. I think they fill an important need for the residents.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Gold member
Default Poa

The only real homeowners association is the POA> The developer created the VHA to offset the POA who was being a watchdog of many things here in the Villages. The VHA always supports the developer no matter what the issue.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 AM

Both POA and VHA are good organizations; there's no need to choose between them. Both work to make The Villages better for all of us. Join and support them both; the cost is very low.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post
Both POA and VHA are good organizations; there's no need to choose between them. Both work to make The Villages better for all of us. Join and support them both; the cost is very low.
I agree with Mikeods excellent post and this one.

We grow and we change.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikitv View Post
I just read the last issue of the POA and it explains a lot of what they do for the homeowners. They certainly have helped resolve a few issues people had with their roofs and siding. Most of the time to try to be unbiased. It is interesting that in the beginning the developer atually worked with the POA. That information is in the current issue. Just my humble opinion.
Let's not forget the cart paths north of 466......the developer would not have done anything about the narrow dangerous paths if they hadn't been pressed.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum member

I don't know about other states but here in Florida the HOA is usually the governing body of deed restricted community. It is responsible for upkeep of common areas, enforcing deed restrictions, etc. In most cases membership is mandatory.

In The Villages the governing body is the CDD.. Membership in the HOA and POA is voluntary.

The POA's approach to problems have improved dramatically. I consider the POA a watchdog for the residents and the HOA a cheerleader for the Developer.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
I don't know about other states but here in Florida the HOA is usually the governing body of deed restricted community. It is responsible for upkeep of common areas, enforcing deed restrictions, etc. In most cases membership is mandatory.

In The Villages the governing body is the CDD.. Membership in the HOA and POA is voluntary.

The POA's approach to problems have improved dramatically. I consider the POA a watchdog for the residents and the HOA a cheerleader for the Developer.
Excellent description!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies. As always, if you have a question post it here and you will get the information you are looking for.

Last edited by Dennis Ga; 03-15-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.