What's The Weather Really Like at TV?

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts
Default What's The Weather Really Like at TV?

Wife and I are spending February in Florida to investigate a home purchase. We're starting at TV and ending up at Bonita Springs. While what I've researched about TV makes it sound very nice, DW is concerned about it being too cold in the winter compared to Bonita. Weather data seems to show highs from December thru February rarely get to 70 and lows generally in the low 40's/upper 30's. We don't want to have to bundle up and prefer wearing shorts.

Would appreciate thoughts and experience from those already residing in TV as to what the weather is really and also any comments on TV versus SW Florida.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Platinum member

My experience with the weather does not show anything like you are quoting for lows in the 30's those months. You might be surprised at how mild it can be. Usually low temps happen only during a severe cold front moving through.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The temperature difference between Bonita Springs and The Villages isn't all that great. If it's chilly here it's chilly there.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Platinum member

I lived in Bonita for 5 years right before moving here. Have you lived in Bonita before? My parents lived in Bonita for 20 years and as I said I lived there for 5 years. The difference in temperature is very little. I remember many mornings seeing my breath in Bonita and frost on the ground.....same as here. What you are getting there is the beautiful beach and 2 fantastic malls with huge anchor stores. You also will find fantastic health care in Bonita and Naples. Health care here is questionable.

In contrast what you are getting here is safety. It's a very secure area with magnificent fire and police protection. You are getting a healthy lifestyle if you choose to become involved. You won't find that in Bonita. You will have great shopping and restaurants here, but not the same quality as Bonita/Naples/Ft Myers.

To me the most important difference is the home value and appreciation. You can't go wrong purchasing a home here in The Villages. The value will always increase........I had a difficult time selling my home in Bonita, and at a loss.

There are so many variables......but to again answer your original question. The weather is pretty much the same for both areas. I know this for a fact as I still have many friends in Bonita and we compare weather year round.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Platinum member

The big difference is night time winter lows. The further south, the warmer with South Florida the warmest. Thus far, this winter has been great however!!
Old 01-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I lived in Bonita for 5 years right before moving here. Have you lived in Bonita before? My parents lived in Bonita for 20 years and as I said I lived there for 5 years. The difference in temperature is very little. I remember many mornings seeing my breath in Bonita and frost on the ground.....same as here. What you are getting there is the beautiful beach and 2 fantastic malls with huge anchor stores. You also will find fantastic health care in Bonita and Naples. Health care here is questionable.

In contrast what you are getting here is safety. It's a very secure area with magnificent fire and police protection. You are getting a healthy lifestyle if you choose to become involved. You won't find that in Bonita. You will have great shopping and restaurants here, but not the same quality as Bonita/Naples/Ft Myers.

To me the most important difference is the home value and appreciation. You can't go wrong purchasing a home here in The Villages. The value will always increase........I had a difficult time selling my home in Bonita, and at a loss.

There are so many variables......but to again answer your original question. The weather is pretty much the same for both areas. I know this for a fact as I still have many friends in Bonita and we compare weather year round.
GerryAnn, thanks for your very valid points. If you want questionable health care, try Maui. We just sold our second home there and that's why we're looking in FL, Couple years ago DW had a health scare. Took us over an hour to get to the only hospital on the island on the only road that goes around the island. That and 4 grandkids in MI made us rethink our plans. We have friends who retired to Bonita Springs and my parents were in Bradenton for many years so we have some familiarity with weather vagaries. DW looked at the 15 day forecast on weather. dot com and saw highs in the low 50's and said I'd better get the real story
Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
GerryAnn, thanks for your very valid points. If you want questionable health care, try Maui. We just sold our second home there and that's why we're looking in FL, Couple years ago DW had a health scare. Took us over an hour to get to the only hospital on the island on the only road that goes around the island. That and 4 grandkids in MI made us rethink our plans. We have friends who retired to Bonita Springs and my parents were in Bradenton for many years so we have some familiarity with weather vagaries. DW looked at the 15 day forecast on weather. dot com and saw highs in the low 50's and said I'd better get the real story
It's one of those cold fronts that is reaching down from those northern storms. We have those off and on. Unfortunately, your DW looked at the forecast during one of those fronts.

I spent six winters in Key West. Can't get much father south in the eastern US than that. While there was never frost, there were a couple of winter seasons when 70 degree temperature was a rarity. And high winds causing cooler wind chill temps. It's variable in FL, but a heckuva lot warmer than Michigan, where we had spent 25 years before moving here.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's one of those cold fronts that is reaching down from those northern storms. We have those off and on. Unfortunately, your DW looked at the forecast during one of those fronts.

I spent six winters in Key West. Can't get much father south in the eastern US than that. While there was never frost, there were a couple of winter seasons when 70 degree temperature was a rarity. And high winds causing cooler wind chill temps. It's variable in FL, but a heckuva lot warmer than Michigan, where we had spent 25 years before moving here.
Plus the cold snaps are very short lived. Any never any snow to shovel.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Plus the cold snaps are very short lived. Any never any snow to shovel.
Yes!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Sage

Don't overthink it. If you think there are plenty of things to do if it's too cold or too hot than consider the villages.
Why do you think it's popular?
Old 01-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Don't overthink it. If you think there are plenty of things to do if it's too cold or too hot than consider the villages.
Why do you think it's popular?
Very good points. And some of us actually enjoy a little change in the weather.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Default Use this great weather site

Quote:
Wife and I are spending February in Florida to investigate a home purchase. We're starting at TV and ending up at Bonita Springs. While what I've researched about TV makes it sound very nice, DW is concerned about it being too cold in the winter compared to Bonita. Weather data seems to show highs from December thru February rarely get to 70 and lows generally in the low 40's/upper 30's. We don't want to have to bundle up and prefer wearing shorts.

Would appreciate thoughts and experience from those already residing in TV as to what the weather is really and also any comments on TV versus SW Florida.
Here is a site we use all the time to compare weather and temperature patterns. You put in the dates and choose the areas to find out what was going on every day of the year. Hope this helps.
[URL="http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KVVG/2015/10/1/CustomHistory.html?dayend=31&monthend=12&yearend=2 015&req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip= &reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo="]
Old 01-01-2016, 11:21 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:

You know there will be some mighty chilly mornings but they warm up to the low 70's in the daytime.

Personally, if you are planning to move to Florida, come at the hottest time of the year to see if you mind the heat and humidity. We did that one July and found it not as hot and humid as the Wash. DC area.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Gold member

I would suggest visiting The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown - New Home Sales, Home Resales, Build Your Dream Home, Brownwood Paddock Square and look at the temperature on the upper right in yellow. I would also recommend clicking on the temperature and accept what is asked to view live cams of all 3 town squares. This should give you a pretty good idea of the climate.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Platinum member

of course it's warmer in south Florida than here. I think it's a great idea to go to several places for at least a week or so, just to get the "feel" of the place.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, florida, bonita, february, 30s, 40s/upper, low, rarely, generally, lows, bundle, prefer, experience, thoughts, residing, december, wearing, shorts, comments, versus, purchase, starting, ending, springs, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.