What's your favorite day trip to the beach?

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Default What's your favorite day trip to the beach?

For those of you who've been in TV for a bit, what is your favorite closest day trip beach?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

St. Pete Beach. Lunch at Sea Critters Cafe in Pass-A-Grille and if we're lucky enough for it to be more than 1 day a stay at the Don CeSar.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Sage
Default No Don Cesar

Just looked Don Cesar hotel on Tripadvisor at St Pete's and it appears that the hotel is less than stellar. Must have gone down hill since you stayed. Will look for more hotels in the area.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Location: Rochester NY, Warren OH, Independence MO, Branson MO

Daytona Beach with lunch at the NorthTurn is a great time. Or New Smyrna Beach with lunch at the Breakers on the Beach. Or Tarpon Springs at the Sponge docks, lunch at Dimitris and dessert at Hellas Bakery.
Too many day trips available!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Just looked Don Cesar hotel on Tripadvisor at St Pete's and it appears that the hotel is less than stellar. Must have gone down hill since you stayed. Will look for more hotels in the area.
Odd..we have stayed there 3 times in the past year (a total of 18 days) and found everything to be more than stellar. They went out of their way to make things excellent for our anniversary in September. It is in fact our FAVORITE hotel anywhere. Must be we're just "down hill" people.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Platinum member

I live near St. Pete and the Don as it's called is considered top notch. There's also a place called Tradewinds resort that's nice in the same area.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Sage
Default More than one Don

Maybe there's more than one Don hotel?? I'll look again and see if I can find the right one. Wasn't implying you were down hill people. Just thought it may have been a while since you last visited. Don't take things so personal.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Villages Florida

The Don Cesar is the big pink building that sits in the middle of St. Pete Beach. There use to be two big pink hotels in downtown St. Pete called the Vinoy and the Soreno. The Yankees stayed at Soreno until 1962, then they moved spring training to Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not a Yankee fan, but once rode my bike by the Soreno and Yogi Berra was sitting on the bench out front, I still have his autograph.

I've never stayed at the Don, but it's always been considered top notch.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts
Default New Smyrna Beach

We like to pack our own lunch and motor over to New Smyrna Beach and tailgate out of the back of our minivan right on the beach. We walk the beach and enjoy the sun and move to the chairs under the beach umbrella before returning to TV before dark.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

We like Fred Howard park beach in Tarpon Springs for a quick trip to the gulf. Nice beach, good parking, and not as crowded as some of the other beaches as it is cleverly hidden:-) New Smyrna is our fav on the Atlantic, and the Breakers is a fun place to have a cocktail and eat. A little farther on the gulf is Siesta Key beach, south of Sarasota, but parking is not always easy. Neat little Key West type downtown area.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We like to pack our own lunch and motor over to New Smyrna Beach and tailgate out of the back of our minivan right on the beach. We walk the beach and enjoy the sun and move to the chairs under the beach umbrella before returning to TV before dark.
We're not hoity-toity people, ourselves. Your day trip sounds lovely.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Maybe there's more than one Don hotel?? I'll look again and see if I can find the right one. Wasn't implying you were down hill people. Just thought it may have been a while since you last visited. Don't take things so personal.
There are actually TWO parts of "The Don". There is the main hotel, and then there is The Don CeSar Beach House. The Beach House is a couple blocks north of the main hotel. The Beach House offers what amounts to efficiency apartments with kitchens and is made for families.

There are many things that impress us about "The Don". The thing that I am most impressed about is that the staff actually remembers our names. When we have returned for a visit the valet & bellmen greet us by name saying "It's good to see you again" when we are getting out of our car.

When we came for our anniversary and opened the door to our room there was a huge vase of red roses there for my wife compliments of Nik Bhola the hotel manager.

We have never been disappointed at any time when we've stayed at "The Pink Palace".
Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts
Default Good overnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
There are actually TWO parts of "The Don". There is the main hotel, and then there is The Don CeSar Beach House. The Beach House is a couple blocks north of the main hotel. The Beach House offers what amounts to efficiency apartments with kitchens and is made for families.

There are many things that impress us about "The Don". The thing that I am most impressed about is that the staff actually remembers our names. When we have returned for a visit the valet & bellmen greet us by name saying "It's good to see you again" when we are getting out of our car.

When we came for our anniversary and opened the door to our room there was a huge vase of red roses there for my wife compliments of Nik Bhola the hotel manager.

We have never been disappointed at any time when we've stayed at "The Pink Palace".
Sounds like a friendly and great place to spend a couple of special nights.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Sage

Hands down Fort De Soto Park. Pinellas County, Florida, Park & Conservation Resources - Fort De Soto Park

Although not on the ocean or the bay, Carney Island Park is really a nice day out and it is right next door. https://plus.google.com/104125299256...0/photos?hl=en

Carney Island offers three walking trails | Ocala.com
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM

We enjoy Ormond Beach which is a small town just north of Daytona Beach. Great beach and good restaurants.

After a lifetime of adventures, the adventure of a lifetime.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.