what's your thoughts on this

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The fact that it's an evergreen tree being lit up for Christmas is, by definition, commercialization of a religious symbol.

The origins of an evergreen tree during December being a religious symbol are pagan, not Christian. The European Christians stole the concept during the Crusades and claimed it symbolized their savior, who was a) not white, b) not European, c) not born in December, and d) lived in and came from a place where these particular evergreen trees didn't exist.

If commercialization of religious holidays offends you, then don't light your own tree, don't buy presents for Christmas, don't do any shopping during Christmas sales, and avoid any place that decorates for Christmas or plays Christmas music in their stores.

It'll certainly cut down on the overcrowding during the holidays and make things much more pleasant for the rest of us, who acknowledge that the whole thing is commercialized, but need a quart of milk that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Yeah! What she said!
All of it...….
Old 11-19-2019, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

When all is said and done 90+% of the area is free to watch from, and when you go home your a few bucks better off than the people who paid to see the same show as you.
What's the problem?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
When all is said and done 90+% of the area is free to watch from, and when you go home your a few bucks better off than the people who paid to see the same show as you.
What's the problem?
There is no problem! And the people are not paying to see the same show. They are paying for reserved seating, drinks and appetizers. They are doing it because they want to.... not because they have to. The people blinded by hate can't understand that.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Some posters have said that these events will benefit a charity. The Villages entertainment website does not indicate anything about ticket proceeds going to charity. Although, other events listed on their website specifically name a charity to receive proceeds. The Villages office could not verify that this is a charity event. Can someone provide information about the source of this information and which charity will benefit?
Old 11-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
What part of " You don't HAVE to pay that night " are people not understanding?

One more time and I'll type slow..... " You don't HAVE to pay that night " What are you and others not understanding?
CWGUY- Cover your Keyboard.
W h at D O E S a Y E L L O W Light M E A N? What does a yellow light mean? - YouTube I think I got it!
Old 11-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Ok, I buy that as long as they put up the Evergreen tree in July and not near the birth of Christ and don’t call it a Christmas tree, they can light it till the cows come home. Some branches of Christianity do not give gifts at Christmas.
People of many faiths enjoy some Christmas traditions. I’m okay with that. But this isn’t that.
What bothers me is the attempt at secularizing and making money off what is a religious symbol to some of us.

And I’d like to add one more thing, thank you for letting me express my views, whether you agree with them or not. This is another example of why TV is so wonderful.
What bothers me is the history behind the "Christmas tree." It is not, nor will ever be, symbolic of the birth of your savior. In the name of your religion, tens of thousands of actual religious people were murdered, and THEIR religious symbols intentionally obscured. Because of your religion, the evergreen tree has become the symbol of commercialization, secularization, murder, and conspiracy. It is not the symbol of anything resembling what you consider a "christ."

I'm not even Pagan and I consider it offensive. But I pick my battles, and accept that most Americans have chosen to ignore the actual history of the things they claim to represent their religions, and instead focus on the pretty parts of it. Which is - "sparkly lights on a big green tree."

That is what I have chosen to allow it to mean, to me. Your mileage may vary. I wouldn't pay $50 to witness the lighting, but I might come to my local square to enjoy the entertainment on face value. For free. Which is what everyone can do.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
CWGUY- Cover your Keyboard.
W h at D O E S a Y E L L O W Light M E A N? What does a yellow light mean? - YouTube I think I got it!
ROTFLMAO
Old 11-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Yes, you are right. Great evil has been done by certain people in the name of religion. And nothing can excuse it. It is not only one religion that is at fault either.
I had a professor at university who belonged to a faith that is well known for its great hatred towards others. But he took the best elements from that faith and lived them throughout his life. Every time I want to get upset by people who follow that faith I remember my professor and I know that it is how each individual understands their faith and live by it, what really counts.
Actually, now that I think of it, there are some faiths which hold the entire group accountable. I would assume then the same idea applies to the whole group.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

I'm not going to the Christmas tree lighting because it's going to be too darn crowded for me to enjoy. I'll wait a week and then go.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Watch it on your computer. I went to LSL once for tree lighting, probably around 2011 and never went again, it's no big deal.

Villages Squares Webcams
Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I'm not going to the Christmas tree lighting because it's going to be too darn crowded for me to enjoy. I'll wait a week and then go.
They are every year. You only have to wait a night and less crowds.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
What bothers me is the history behind the "Christmas tree." It is not, nor will ever be, symbolic of the birth of your savior. In the name of your religion, tens of thousands of actual religious people were murdered, and THEIR religious symbols intentionally obscured. Because of your religion, the evergreen tree has become the symbol of commercialization, secularization, murder, and conspiracy. It is not the symbol of anything resembling what you consider a "christ."

I'm not even Pagan and I consider it offensive. But I pick my battles, and accept that most Americans have chosen to ignore the actual history of the things they claim to represent their religions, and instead focus on the pretty parts of it. Which is - "sparkly lights on a big green tree."

That is what I have chosen to allow it to mean, to me. Your mileage may vary. I wouldn't pay $50 to witness the lighting, but I might come to my local square to enjoy the entertainment on face value. For free. Which is what everyone can do.
I associate wonderful things with the tree and the manger and the star and the angels and the magi and even gifts we give to those we love. Christmas is a time of magic for me and I hope always will be. I tried very hard to create and maintain traditions for our children since we lived away from the grandparents and in so doing made myself happy...and now that our children are going to be on another continent this Christmas, we will do all the things we have always done and Christmas will steal again into our hearts. Christmas trees are a wonderful symbol of the Bavarian Forest where my grandfather was born and raised. Hoping you all find magic this season.

Tags
seating, access, tickets, free, promised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.