what's your thoughts on this

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Good Luck with your plan. Others ended up with hours of community service and probation. I realize you are different.
The only people who ended up with community service and probation were the people who committed assault against other people who were sitting down.

I've seen no incident report, news article, or op-ed about anyone who was given probation or community service for sitting in a vacant seat, whether "saved" or otherwise.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I stand corrected! Partially funded by county tax. Partially funded by tourism tax. Partially funded by - maybe other things?

As for the seat-savers, I've noticed this on normal evenings not just holidays (I've been down here during a few of them even though I just moved in for good).

The last time, I feel, is going to be the last time. From now on if someone says "these seats are for people who are expected" I'll tell them "great. When they come, I'll vacate." And park my young-senior butt in the chair.
Not corrected yet. Not sure why you insist that county taxes are going into this. Tourism tax, yes. But we don't pay that, tourists do.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:05 PM
TOTV Moderator

The topic is special VIP tickets for the Christmas tree lighting. It is not about seat saving. Please stay on topic.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,030 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
This would not have happened if Harold Schwartz or Gary Morse were running the show. Times they are a changing. Some think the changes are good, others not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
LOL How is it that you know that? DO you commune with them in order to know what they are thinking these days? LOL I must be watching too much Long Island Medium! lolololololol
Not sure what Long Island Medium is and never watched it, but I do closely observe what is going on in the Villages. Simple observation over time spent in the Villages backs up that this never happened under the watch of Harold and Gary, but it is now. Perhaps more time should be spent observing what is going on in your home town then on watching Long Island Medium?
Old 11-16-2019, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Not corrected yet. Not sure why you insist that county taxes are going into this. Tourism tax, yes. But we don't pay that, tourists do.
Not sure why your response seems to confrontational. i don't "insist" anything. Are you insisting that only tourists pay the tourist tax? Because you'd be incorrect about that as well.

Here's the actual text of the tax code:

Quote:
Tourist Development Tax Revenues are generated by overnight guests staying in Sumter County RV parks / campgrounds, hotels, motels and condominiums. As a rule, any short-term lodging of 6 months or less is subject to the 2% tax in additions to Sumter County's sales tax. Collections are received through the Florida Department of Revenue and returned to the County on a monthly basis for the County's use. Sumter County places this revenue in a special revenue fund - Tourist Development Fund.
So, not just tourists. Snowbirds renting for fewer than 6 months are supposed to be paying that too. It was my mistake to think that the county's sales tax also contributed to the entertainment (tourism) fund. It's your mistake to think that only tourists pay for it, AND it's your mistake to think that the tourism tax is not a county tax. It absolutely is a county tax. It's just not the county tax I thought it was.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 PM

These trees are all boring and colorless. Not much to get into the spirit of Christmas and certainly not worth going to see those dull white lights go on and pretend it's beautiful. And to pay for it? Out of the question.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The only people who ended up with community service and probation were the people who committed assault against other people who were sitting down.

I've seen no incident report, news article, or op-ed about anyone who was given probation or community service for sitting in a vacant seat, whether "saved" or otherwise.
Sitting in the seat created the assault.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
The topic is special VIP tickets for the Christmas tree lighting. It is not about seat saving. Please stay on topic.
Respectfully, when the title of the thread is so vague, "what's your thoughts on this," it's harder to remember the topic ... not that we're very good at this, anyway. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
Traditionally free Villages tree lightings introducing pay-to-view seating

The concept of selling specialized treatment at holiday events first surfaced this past July 4 at Brownwood. The tree-lighting shows are following that model, with tickets offered for $50 per person, $80 per couple and $225 for a table for six. Those purchasing the “VIP Experience” are being promised two free drink tickets, appetizers provided by a yet-unnamed vendor and access to a VIP tent and cash bar, as well as reserved seating and “direct access into the square.”
Making this none of my business makes my life better. I don't own the area in question. Hope it was fun! Interesting subject though.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

I guess anyone can save seats and then sell them?????????
Old 11-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
I guess anyone can save seats and then sell them?????????
Not in the VIP tent..... but
You could sell the Brooklyn Bridge here and get someone to pay you in I-tune cards.

Last edited by CWGUY; 11-17-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Not in the VIP tent..... but
You could sell the Brooklyn Bridge here and get someone to pay you I-tune cards.
Last week I got a couple of good offers on sidewalk space in San Francisco.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Last week I got a couple of good offers on sidewalk space in San Francisco.
No tub, no toilet, no problem?
Old 11-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage

In 2007, we bought our house in The Villages.
We went to all the parades and every get together, including the Christmas Tree Lighting.
I assume in 2019, it will be even more crowded.

Last edited by Barefoot; 11-17-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

It’s not $80 a couple, only by choice.

Tags
seating, access, tickets, free, promised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.