what's your thoughts on this

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

I think that those who object to commercializing a religious symbol, (most Christians I think) should stay away. I consider asking for payment to watch a Christmas tree being lit up is in bad taste. Look, if you can’t afford to put up a Christmas tree, then don’t do it. Other forms of entertainment you can charge a price for, but this verges on insulting, if I am reading these posts correctly. Christmas represents the birth of Christ, born in a stable, no admission was required.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmazack View Post
One way to stop this is, don't attend. The tree will be there many nights and I'll see it when I don't have to pay. If enough people stop attending and don't buy tickets, it will send a big message to those in charge.
What part of " You don't HAVE to pay that night " are people not understanding?

One more time and I'll type slow..... " You don't HAVE to pay that night " What are you and others not understanding?
Old 11-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think that those who object to commercializing a religious symbol, (most Christians I think) should stay away. I consider asking for payment to watch a Christmas tree being lit up is in bad taste. Look, if you can’t afford to put up a Christmas tree, then don’t do it. Other forms of entertainment you can charge a price for, but this verges on insulting, if I am reading these posts correctly. Christmas represents the birth of Christ, born in a stable, no admission was required.

I'm telling Santa on you!
Old 11-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Sage

Not good enough, sorry, get some other money making venture and leave religious symbols out of it.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Sage

Santa is not a religious symbol although associated. The Christmas tree symbolizes to some of us the birth of the savior.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
The point is this is an attempt to get incremental revenue or revenue that is new and was not a part of the prior revenue streams. Now think of the many ways the Developer, Commercial Business, Vendors, Rental's ,etc etc..can and will use this route as needed. Now consider the many avenues available to increase year to year new revenue 's? (.g. pool usage, seats at squares, parking, new fines, internal categories of the Amentie fees, taxes, etc etc). These are under the authority of either the Developer, Various Gov't (Both Village and State)amd business. As an example the current incremental revenue for the Christmas Tree is being assigned to the owner of the Entertainment Vendor although it can be assumed the Developer will receive some, etc. In addition the current revenue streams will be increased as a basis for covering on going costs. A potential serious concern is the lack of control or influence the residents have in any of the decisions regarding "Village" impacts. Just opinion I personally believe using a religious line item which is more for children than adults and should be viewed as such before making it harder for some to have equal enjoyment and making it more comfortable with tent and location.
Sorry, but the sky is not falling.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Not good enough, sorry, get some other money making venture and leave religious symbols out of it.
Nothing says the BIRTH of CHRIST like a 25 foot lighted pine tree???
Old 11-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmazack View Post
One way to stop this is, don't attend. The tree will be there many nights and I'll see it when I don't have to pay. If enough people stop attending and don't buy tickets, it will send a big message to those in charge.
Sure, why do something that some charity might benefit from.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sorry, but the sky is not falling.
But.... some keep hoping!
Old 11-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Did you miss the charity part??
Old 11-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Santa is not a religious symbol although associated. The Christmas tree symbolizes to some of us the birth of the savior.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Sage

I’m sure there may be some people who will agree with you. Charity is not good enough. If we took one of your precious symbols and use it in a crass way...
Old 11-19-2019, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
The fact that it's an evergreen tree being lit up for Christmas is, by definition, commercialization of a religious symbol.

The origins of an evergreen tree during December being a religious symbol are pagan, not Christian. The European Christians stole the concept during the Crusades and claimed it symbolized their savior, who was a) not white, b) not European, c) not born in December, and d) lived in and came from a place where these particular evergreen trees didn't exist.

If commercialization of religious holidays offends you, then don't light your own tree, don't buy presents for Christmas, don't do any shopping during Christmas sales, and avoid any place that decorates for Christmas or plays Christmas music in their stores.

It'll certainly cut down on the overcrowding during the holidays and make things much more pleasant for the rest of us, who acknowledge that the whole thing is commercialized, but need a quart of milk that day.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The fact that it's an evergreen tree being lit up for Christmas is, by definition, commercialization of a religious symbol.

The origins of an evergreen tree during December being a religious symbol are pagan, not Christian. The European Christians stole the concept during the Crusades and claimed it symbolized their savior, who was a) not white, b) not European, c) not born in December, and d) lived in and came from a place where these particular evergreen trees didn't exist.

If commercialization of religious holidays offends you, then don't light your own tree, don't buy presents for Christmas, don't do any shopping during Christmas sales, and avoid any place that decorates for Christmas or plays Christmas music in their stores.

It'll certainly cut down on the overcrowding during the holidays and make things much more pleasant for the rest of us, who acknowledge that the whole thing is commercialized, but need a quart of milk that day.
Yeah! What she said!
Old 11-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Sage

Ok, I buy that as long as they put up the Evergreen tree in July and not near the birth of Christ and don’t call it a Christmas tree, they can light it till the cows come home. Some branches of Christianity do not give gifts at Christmas.
People of many faiths enjoy some Christmas traditions. I’m okay with that. But this isn’t that.
What bothers me is the attempt at secularizing and making money off what is a religious symbol to some of us.

And I’d like to add one more thing, thank you for letting me express my views, whether you agree with them or not. This is another example of why TV is so wonderful.

Last edited by Velvet; 11-19-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
seating, access, tickets, free, promised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.