What's your wish south of 466A?

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum member

I love Publix and take advantage of their weekly BOGOs. I'm amazed that even when Publix is very crowded I've never had to wait very long for checkout! Some things are worth paying a little more!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM

Toojays would be a great addition. We're new to the Villages, but we do know that their food and baked goods are very good.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

tennis and pickleball courts as far as the eye can see!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buckeyes View Post
Not to get off subject to much but I need to explain my thoughts about Publix. They may offer some items others do not have and great customer service but at what price? I had never been to Publix before my Lifestyle visit but here are two items that opened my eyes. 1.) Lay's Light Potato Chips $3.99 / bag compared to $3.48 at Walmart. 2.) Coke 2 liter bottle 1.99 compared to $1.38 at Walmart. Bottom line is that Walmart is making a profit !
Take your receipt and comparison shop....you could probably fill up your golf cart all year round just on the savings.
The potato chips are a good example of name-brand products being BETTER in the store's own brand, at half the price. I find that in all major supermarket chains north and south, the store's own label is better product.....with more of it, for half the price of the brand-name.

As for WalMart making a profit.....yes, "but at what price?" Local businesses killed off by Walmart's no-wholesaler model would be glad to tell you "at what price".
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedst View Post
Toojays would be a great addition. We're new to the Villages, but we do know that their food and baked goods are very good.

As a new poster you may not have seen it but Too Jay's coming to Brownwood has been noted previously on TOTV. Here is the info I copied from The Villages Gourmet Club web site:

Too Jay's Original Gourmet Deli (Brownwood), West Torch Lake Dr., The Villages, FL. (American) (Deli) B/L/D. Their third location in The Villages will be located at Paddock Square in Brownwood. Construction is underway and the Deli will be part of Phase 2 and open in late 2013
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to cwnavy1

On the Publix issue, it's a fine store, but the one in Colony always looks like the day before a hurricane; just tons of people. As for hardware, there is a farm store right across 44 from Brownwood that is an excellent store with tons of tools and other hardware items, including a huge pet supplies department. Give it a try if you need hardware or building materials, or just feed for your steers.

CA, Ariz., Texas, Georgia, Now- TV!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnavy1 View Post
. As for hardware, there is a farm store right across 44 from Brownwood that is an excellent store with tons of tools and other hardware items, including a huge pet supplies department. Give it a try if you need hardware or building materials, or just feed for your steers.
If you are in the market for a bullwhip they carry them also. Great place to wonder around if you are the Home Depot type as I am.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
The potato chips are a good example of name-brand products being BETTER in the store's own brand, at half the price. I find that in all major supermarket chains north and south, the store's own label is better product.....with more of it, for half the price of the brand-name.

As for WalMart making a profit.....yes, "but at what price?" Local businesses killed off by Walmart's no-wholesaler model would be glad to tell you "at what price".
In some instances you may be right. The example I sighted was on name brands carried in both stores. A prime example would be the Walmart supercenter that was erected on the old Gator Hole driving range in North Myrtle Beach where we vacation annually. Since it opened at least 40 "new" businesses have opened around it with "new" employees. So when the house is built in TV we may shop for a few things at Publix but, the bulk will be at Walmart. I will enjoy the trip with the golf cart to Colony Shell, filling the tank on our continual savings. I suggest some loyal Publix customers take their most recent receipt to Walmart and compare. It may be an enlightening experience that will not lighten your wallet!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Location: natives of La Porte, IN, moved here from central IN to Santiago via Country Club Hills

Hubby really misses his fav, Menards. Being a retired plumber/pipefitter and a private contractor he could always save on plumbing materials for jobs, just no Menards here in the South.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 AM

How about a decent place to get a coffee. I think Dunkin Donuts would do real well. I have to drive far to get to the one across town. I live in Collier village.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 AM

How about a few more banking choices? a TD Bank would be nice!! And I give another vote for a Starbucks.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

We Also miss Menards and of course my favorite Meijer's. I talked to a store rep before we moved and he said that Meijer's is looking at the Florida market. I told him to check out the villages area since there are a lot of people from the Midwest. (Michigan, Ohio,Indiana and Illinois.) that was 2 years ago. Someday maybe ��
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
An Ace hardware would be nice!
Have you tried Sparr...across from brownwood...more inventory, great service, and better prices than ACE.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Dont forget, a store to suvive should have enough shoppers and have to make their profit before 9 pm when everyone has gone to bed!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxmike View Post
How about a decent place to get a coffee. I think Dunkin Donuts would do real well. I have to drive far to get to the one across town. I live in Collier village.
I am going to play Devils' Advocate and wish for a Tim Hortons Coffee Shop. All Canadians are in love with "Timmies" and they are in a lot of NE States, but none south of Ohio.

With FL having so many Snowbirds, I am sure they would do well here.

Also, I would like a Bass Pro that is closer than Orlando.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.