When Did It Finally Hit You?

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI, Livonia, Ann Arbor, Fairbanks AK. Last stop to be TV!
Default When Did It Finally Hit You?

Saturday Mar 16,2013 - I called the last person to say "goodbye" and got a voicemail message instead. The weird feeling started then. Up until then I had been flying up and back for several months to finish treatments and follow up on cases, but each time it was "I'll see you next month". This time that part wasn't in the equation. This was IT. This time the flight was the end. Now I became a REAL Villlager, and beginning a new life. I don't regret retiring, and look forward to the next phase of life, but.....?
I always thought that after seeing the last patient on a friday nite, and sending them on their healthy way, that I would keel over and that would be the end. ---- But Trish got me to realize there is more to life than working till you die.
So-- as I drove to the airport, I looked carefully at the oh so familiar things around me and came to understand that this was the last time I would see them.

40 years of driving this path and being able to close my eyes for 20 minutes and still know exactly where I was and then knowing that this part of my life was over and I was starting a new life.
It finally hit me.

When did it hit you?

You can't laugh at the same things again and again, but why do you keep crying over the same things again and again
"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade"
Personally, I'll go for a Tom Collins.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccrocker View Post
40 years of driving this path and being able to close my eyes for 20 minutes and still know exactly where I was and then knowing that this part of my life was over and I was starting a new life.
It finally hit me.

When did it hit you?
The morning after I retired and I had no where to go ............. I am very much a creature of habit and like to live a very ordered life knowing exactly where I should be and what I should be doing. Retirement was very difficult for me, I loved my job and had actually made my life around my job. Now, suddenly, I had to find a new way to live and it took me a long time to do that, but there is no way I would change what I have now to go back to work - actually, to be quite honest, technology has advanced to the point where I could no longer compete in the work force.

If, when you and your wife have finally settled into your new home, you find you still have the need to contribute you could be very valuable to the surrounding communities. There is, for instance, a free clinic in Wildwood where some of the local doctors donate several hours of their time each week. This might fill a void until you are ready to slip into full retirement. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find out how much your knowledge could be of use here.

You know the old saying Doc ............. take two aspirins and call me in the morning.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 AM
Sage
Smile

I found that when we were driving to come down here, our POD was on it's way and we were so stressed packing everything up, selling the house, cleaning everything out, saying goodbye to friends over and over, about 3 hours down the road I felt the stress of what I had been doing for the last 20 years finally lift from my shoulders. We were so looking forward to coming. We had already bought a house and couldn't wait to get there. It was the most fun I'd had in 20 years! The drive was a piece of cake with all of the anticipation. It's 5 years later and I still have to pinch myself!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Sage

[quote
It finally hit me.

When did it hit you?[/quote]

It must have hit long before you moved here. I think many drivers here also drive with their eyes closed.
Seriously though, you are one of the lucky ones. I have a few years before it hits me. Still have to live st my "other" home two hours away 4 days a week till I retire. Can't wait until the day it hits me.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Default It is not a death sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccrocker View Post
Saturday Mar 16,2013 - I called the last person to say "goodbye" and got a voicemail message instead. The weird feeling started then. Up until then I had been flying up and back for several months to finish treatments and follow up on cases, but each time it was "I'll see you next month". This time that part wasn't in the equation. This was IT. This time the flight was the end. Now I became a REAL Villlager, and beginning a new life. I don't regret retiring, and look forward to the next phase of life, but.....?
I always thought that after seeing the last patient on a friday nite, and sending them on their healthy way, that I would keel over and that would be the end. ---- But Trish got me to realize there is more to life than working till you die.
So-- as I drove to the airport, I looked carefully at the oh so familiar things around me and came to understand that this was the last time I would see them.

It finally hit me.

When did it hit you?
The planes fly in both directions.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think that making any move is stressful even if the outcome is what you wanted and a lovely place to land.

I truly understand your feelings.

Welcome home friend. There are people who care who are here in your new place.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 AM

Steve,
I need to give kudos to your wife Trish for being able to "convince" you that there is more to life than working - even if it is something you love to do. Life to way too short - unfortunately, much shorter for some than for others - and being able to enjoy the fruits of your labors is one of the benefits.
I become sad when I think that soon we will be leaving family, work & friends behind, and I know that when we lock up our NJ home and say our goodbyes it will be bittersweet as well, but the anticipation of what we have to look forward to is the driving force to keep us going for now. And yes, planes do fly both ways!
Best to you!
Rona
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Sage
Default Last flight in

It hit me when I was on the flight down here for the last time and the pilot said "Welcome to Orlando". I knew it was for keeps. It felt good and feels even better since I've had time to acclimate to my new life. It's weird though.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Maybe I'm A Little Weird, But...

...I was ecstatic at the thought of not having to roll out early, catch the train and go to work every day...to endure the increasingly inane "corporate policies" and the politically correct requirements laid down by the HR department. I woke up on "day one" thinking, wow, this is what I worked my whole life for.

Coming to The Villages made it just so much better than anything I ever imagined.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Sage

It took a few weeks to hit me. I had a meeting at the main hospital on my last day, so I took the car we were having shipped to the carrier, stopped at the chief of service's office to turn in my ID badge, lab coats, and keys, and say good-bye. That evening they had a farewell gathering for me at a colleague's home after which we shook hands and hugged and I drove home. Next day we started the drive from CA to FL with my mom behind us in her car also heading to a new home in TV. Only after being here for some time did I realize that I wouldn't see those people I left in CA for quite a while, if ever. I had that sinking feeling that the good-byes we shared that night weren't enough for the many years we had worked together. When I left, it was almost like I was going on vacation, not a permanent move.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Sage

I cant really say just yet but I tend to think like Mike that it will be a few weeks. I am very aware that some friends say they will come for a visit but I tend to think they are just being nice about my leaving. I also think when I wake up in the morning and don't have anything to do as far as work will bring another realization that my time will need to be replaced by fun activities and friends.

I probably one of those people who are very work oriented but need to work at having fun. It should be an easy transition. Some posts that I have read seem to indicate that one's days are filled up and the thoughts of having to work seem to disappear. It's all good.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

Early retirement in comfort was a career goal so I would say it never "hit me". Instead it was the satisfaction of a goal achieved, much the same as when I would reach any other career goal. I look at retirement as just another phase of life, not as an ending.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.