When did you start the motorcycle hobby???

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Founder
Default When did you start the motorcycle hobby???

I had my first bike a Honda 305 Dream back in about 1966. I think I was about 18 then. Since then, I have had a honda 450, Yamaha 650 a Goldwing 1500 and two Goldwing 1800s. How about you.?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Gold member
Default Re: When did you start the motorcycle hobby???

I started when I was about 22 years old with a Yamaha Maxium 400. Had stint where I didn’t have any bikes for a while but the love of motocycles never left me. Since then I’ve had a BMW R90S, Yamaha FZ600, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, CZ 250, Suzuki DR640, Suzuki GS500, Yamaha Road Star Silverado, Honda Valkyrie, Victory Kingpin, Suzuki DL1000 VStrom, etc.

I generally don’t keep one bike very long as I like to try new things, but my latest bike the DL1000 really is a great ride. It does everything very well. It’s comfortable for day long rides; it’s plenty fast, really fun in the twisties and can hit the trails and fire roads should you have a mind to.

My wife and I ride almost exclusively two up and although she misses the comfort of the big Valkyrie we have a lot of fun on the new Suzuki. What’s next? Who knows, but it’s always fun shopping for new bikes. I told my wife before we got married that I will always have a least one bike in the garage, maybe more. Some day if I’m ever too old and decrepit to ride I’ll still have a bike sitting in the garage just so I can go out once in awhile, fire it up and remember the good old days.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 PM

I started out in 1964 with a very hot Sears motor scooter ( a vespa clone), Graduated to a vespa 150 GL and then didnt have a scooter or bike till 1996 when I had a Goldwing. Then my new wife and I got away again from bikes till I picked up my youngest daughters Marauder. We are looking to getting another Goldwing next summer.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

Started renting Honda 50's when I was 15. Bought a Honda 50 SS at 16, my first vehicle. Bought a 68 Honda 450 CL Scrambler before I went in the service. Moved to Florida soon after I got out. Didn't ride again until "93 when I bought a Kawasaki KLR 250. Bought a new Yamaha Roadstar in "03 and completely customized it right out of the showroom. This year bought, argueably, the best luxury tourer out there; the BMW K1200 LT. Now own the best of both worlds, a loud cruiser for around town and a Luxury tourer for a trip to wherever.

I'm a Nomad. Lee
Old 01-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Bought a suzuki 80 in 1966 then moved up to a "big" yamaha twin 100. Had BSA 500, triumph 650, Kawasaki 500 and 900.
Joined the Police Force in 1972 and got hooked on Harleys. Now ride a 2006 Harley Classic and love every minute of it.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM

Started out with Whizzer motor bike in 1951, went to a Cushman Eagle in 1956. Bought a old Jawa 250 in 1958 and rode it for a year. Sold it, got married and bought my next bike, a 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star in 2005. Now ride the best. :#1: Honda Valkyrie 1500 cc Interstate.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Gold member

Nice bike! I have a little experience with the Valk Interstate. Had to sell it but it sure was a sweet ride. Let's see some pics of yours...

The Villages Florida

This is my current ride, an 06 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Founder

Hey Darrel,

Are you able to put that thing up on its back tire for five or six blocks in a quite residential neightborhood. ;D

JLK
Old 01-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Gold member

Don't know about five or six blocks but I can wake up a quite residential neightborhood for sure. :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I started riding dirt bikes about 1960, had an Italian bike, Caprillo, 75 cc's I think. Then bought a Yamaha 125, then a 250 street bike, went to a Honda 350 and have had several differnt ones through the years. Still riding, a Harley Dynaglide and will probably soon move to a Road King or Electraglide. Don't do lots of miles any more, but still do it. When I get to TV will probably also get a smaller bike, moped, scooter, something the better half can also use.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm the passenger type but can drive one if I have to. Actually started my love of bikes when I was about 4 and lived on my Godmother's farm in Germany. She had 5 boys, all but the youngest had a bike -- I wouldn't let them in the gate until I got a ride. That love affair has never stopped.

When my bro was in 'Nam, I more or less stole his bike for my use. The biggest problem was that it was way too heavy for me. To start it, I'd have to jump the starter with both feet and full weight and jump over the seat to keep it stable in almost the same motion. If I was on it and I had to stop for more than 30 seconds, you could see the bike start to do a slowwwww lean until it was lying on its side purring away. Someone would have to help me pick it up. (Remember, I was 18 and didn't have the brains to know how dangerous all of this was, so no lectures, please.) I kept the bike even when he came back from 'Nam and drove it for the next 5 years until my husband gave me a choice -- him or the bike (shudda kept the bike!).

BTW -- Did I mention his bike was a 1946 Indian chief? And, yes, it had the fork extensions, teardrop tank, etc., etc.

So, still love bikes but still like being a passenger better -- you can have the bugs, I'll just kick back and enjoy the ride.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

-bought Harley-Davidson in 1998

-NYSE symbol HDI, since changed to HOG

-sold in 2006

-loved the ride
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Just remember how we all contributed to your retirement when we go by and set off your car alarm with those after market python pipes. 040
Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I2ridehd,

That's OK.

I love it when those Hogs go by.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Veteran member

I've had a MC license for 30 years and rode several years before I had one. I played with Hondas, Kawasakis and Yamahas back in the 60's and 70's. Got hooked on Harley's and after raising a family and paying off mortgages, I bought a new black Harley Road King Classic in 2000, 1450 cc. Leather saddle bags and wide white walls. Told the dealer to take the stock pipes off and make it sound like a 1959 Harley. It does. My neighbors love it. So does my wife.

My son bought one of those pocket crotch rockets a few years back. He stopped by the house when it was new and told me to take it for a ride. You had to almost lay down on your stomach with your feet behind you. Came close to a total wipeout on my first turn. Fastest bike I ever road and I will never do one of those things again. Give me a tall in the saddle hog any time.

BTW 12rideHD, don't give up on the big bikes here in the Villages yet. There are some great easy rides in the countryside right outside the Villages. Very light traffic. Just you, the horses and the cattle. My wife rides with me and enjoys the short rides. Maybe we need a thread on good MC rides close to the Villages. Going to Gator Joe's in Oklawaha (sp) for lunch is a short fun ride.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.