When Do Your Tenants Leave?

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Default When Do Your Tenants Leave?

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some insight. We are new with renting our home. This year we gave both tenants a full month rental. I am being told that most people only rent for 28 days. My tenants for March are not leaving until the 31st but I am hearing most people are leaving on Sunday which is the 29th. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

When I was renting out my villa, the tenants had until 10:00 am on the last day of the month to vacate the premises. Some of my tenants chose to leave early.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would end the lease before noon and start the new lease at 4 or 5. Gives you time to clean. Also ask them to let you know if they leave early and you can enter to clean etc
Old 03-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Sage

I have the tenants out by 10am the last day of the month. I have the next tenants move in 11am the first day of the month. The house is inspected for damage when the tenants depart and the cleaning crew is scheduled for 12:30pm (the last day of the month).
Old 03-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The developer had checkout at 10:00 am on the last day of the month. New arrivals were set for 4:00 pm on the first. This schedule seems pretty manageable, even though most will try accommodating early arrivals. Never heard of 28-day rentals except for February.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-27-2015, 08:32 PM

When we rented we had to be out by 8:00 AM on the 1st day of the month. The new renters came in at 4:00 PM that day giving the cleaners 8 hours to do their thing.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-28-2015, 03:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
When we rented we had to be out by 8:00 AM on the 1st day of the month. The new renters came in at 4:00 PM that day giving the cleaners 8 hours to do their thing.

An eight hour window works if the cleaners only have one or two houses but that is rarely the case with rental properties. For example, I have six rentals leaving on the 31st and seven arrivals on the 1st. With having to wash, dry and fold towels and bedding, it usually takes at least two hours on a house left relatively clean. So, we're talking a minimum of twelve hours, Probably more like sixteen hours. Cleaners really do need more than eight hours, especially since they have no clue what condition the house will be in.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-28-2015, 05:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Interesting thought - Using a March rental as an example a 28 day lease Vs. the full month lease is 9.7% higher given the same monthly rate. If the lease were $3100 for the month that's a total delta of $300 if figured on a daily basis. That's from a renters point of view. With that as a backdrop I understand the problem the landlord has to turn the place over within a few hours. There are all these cleaning people out there waiting to do their job on the last day of the month with considerable less demand for their services the other 30 days of the month. My guess is you are a very lucky landlord if you have a dependable service given the high one day demand that would make you feel comfortable with a few hours turnaround time. Now combine this with the traffic nightmare that occurs on I-95 on the last and first day of the month because a monthly lease is written first day to last day of the month. I suspect the hotel rates along the corridor also reflect this situation. I often thought if I was a landlord I would do a lease from the first Monday of the month to first Sunday of the next month or something that gets off the first/last day of the month routine. This would be beneficial to both parties. Plus if the leases were staggered a little the regular population would benefit also by staggering the initial rush at the grocery store to stock up on the first. Any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have in the contract that the leaving tenant needs to be out by 11:00 AM on the last day of the month and the new tenant can come in at 1:00 PM on the first day of the month.

That gives me 26 hours to check everything over, clean, wash all linens and sheets, clean the grill, do any repairs needed, and if I have to have any services done like Massey needs to do a termite inspection or it's time to spray for pests, or any thing else that may come up. I try to schedule those things if possible so I don't need to interrupt the tenant. Sometimes it's not possible do to timing falls on a weekend, but sometimes it works out.

I will also try to accommodate early arrivals if possible. Sometimes you can and sometimes it doesn't work.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 AM

Rental agreement for my house is to be out by 10 am last day of month and in after 3pm on first day of month.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
An eight hour window works if the cleaners only have one or two houses but that is rarely the case with rental properties. For example, I have six rentals leaving on the 31st and seven arrivals on the 1st. With having to wash, dry and fold towels and bedding, it usually takes at least two hours on a house left relatively clean. So, we're talking a minimum of twelve hours, Probably more like sixteen hours. Cleaners really do need more than eight hours, especially since they have no clue what condition the house will be in.

That is my concern that the cleaners will not have enough time & also if it falls on a weekend many cleaners do not work.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj1210 View Post
I was hoping someone might be able to give me some insight. We are new with renting our home. This year we gave both tenants a full month rental. I am being told that most people only rent for 28 days. My tenants for March are not leaving until the 31st but I am hearing most people are leaving on Sunday which is the 29th. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Some folks leave early to beat the traffic caused by rentals throughout Florida ending on the last day of the month.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv2016 View Post
Rental agreement for my house is to be out by 10 am last day of month and in after 3pm on first day of month.
Ditto!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:48 AM

Thank you all I guess I was given wrong info.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Veteran member

The rental agreement for my house is to be out by 11 am last day of month and in after 9AM on first day of month. I ask them to let me know if they are leaving early. This month I have a renter staying to the end, and one coming in on April 1. My cleaning crew knows this, she seemed ok with it.
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.