When a Golf cart is on the golf path...

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2020, 01:38 PM
Default When a Golf cart is on the golf path...

....and a person is walking towards them, should that person or persons go up on the grass and allow the golf cart to remain on the path, or should the golf cart go into the street and allow the person or persons to remain on the golf path ? I could be mistaken , but many a time the person will remain on the golf path forcing me to go into the car lanes, often having to wait till traffic clears to do so and puts me at risk for an accident, when all can be avoided if they allowed me to continue on the golf path. What are your opinions .....
Old 04-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Do you mean golf cart lane?
Old 04-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

As a pedestrian, you in the golf cart aren't reliable, you can't see, you can be distracted, you can have a medical emergency. For me, I am on the grass ready to bolt. sorry, that's the survival label I assign to all golf cart drivers while walking.

sportsguy
Old 04-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

IMHO, I always walk FACING traffic, and if I see a cart coming, I will move out of the way. I look at it this way, if I get hit by the cart I LOSE, if I get hit by the cart that was hit by the car, we both LOSE. The only way I can WIN is to get out of the way. Now if I happen to be driving the cart, I will stop if necessary because the person did not move out of the way, or worse yet was walking WITH traffic and did not see me.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

IMHO anyone who walks in the diamond lanes as you seem to be suggesting, needs their brain tested in the first place.
If I were driving I would manouvre out of the pedestrians way, rather than hope they will move off the road.
Plenty of "I know my rights" from pedestrians in TV.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

It's about courtesy Some have it...sadly most here don't ...walk alert expect the unexpected
Old 04-02-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
....and a person is walking towards them, should that person or persons go up on the grass and allow the golf cart to remain on the path, or should the golf cart go into the street and allow the person or persons to remain on the golf path ? I could be mistaken , but many a time the person will remain on the golf path forcing me to go into the car lanes, often having to wait till traffic clears to do so and puts me at risk for an accident, when all can be avoided if they allowed me to continue on the golf path. What are your opinions .....
Most of the roads, not all, that have cart lanes also have sidewalks, in which case it is illegal for the pedestrian to walk in the cart lane:

Florida statute 316.130 sec 3&4:

(3) Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic.
(4) Where sidewalks are not provided, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the left side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian’s direction of travel, facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.

This applies even if the sidewalk is on the other side of the road. If there is no sidewalk, I would be getting out of the way of a cart, car, or truck.

As far as another poster who said "pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way, that is not always true, there are several cases of this, but here is one from 316.130 sec 10:

(10) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

..................(10) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
I have had to use my horn to warn pedestrians walking in the diamond lane as I come toward them in my golf cart. The cart has the right of way and pedestrians should yield to the golf cart. When I sound my golf cart horn, the pedestrians hop onto the sidewalk which is where they should have been walking in the first place. I give them plenty of time to hop out of my way!!!
Old 04-02-2020, 03:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

For the next 30 days or so as I walk the sidewalks sometimes I enter the golf cart lanes to keep a safe distance from approaching walkers on the same walkway. While driving my golf cart, I will not be inconvenienced to move into the car lane to safely pass people temporarily walking in my golf cart lane.

Afterwards, don’t we get points for bumping people?
Old 04-02-2020, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Good grief. With everything going on, people are worried about trivial stuff. Get over yourself.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I yield to the law of physics. If I am walking I yield to a golf cart, if I am in a golf cart I yield to a car, if I am in a car I yield to trucks. I find it safer that way.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:49 PM

One of my pet peeves with walkers, who have literally miles of safe places to walk in the Villages, who MUST walk in the diamond lane going south on Paige Place just past St. Timothy’s Church. I’m in a golf cart watching for cars coming up from behind me on my left, may have the sun in my eyes, and you suddenly round the curve there coming at me in my lane and refuse to budge. I of course slow down, but I have no where to go. Please try to be cognizant of this when you’re out walking. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Street cart lane with sidewalk present- Florida law requires pedestrians to use sidewalk See # 7 above.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
As a pedestrian, you in the golf cart aren't reliable, you can't see, you can be distracted, you can have a medical emergency. For me, I am on the grass ready to bolt. sorry, that's the survival label I assign to all golf cart drivers while walking.

sportsguy

Me too, but the main reason IMO I might be in his blind spot due to glare ( Especially early mornings and before sundown) when in doubt i step way off the path for my own safety.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Good grief. With everything going on, people are worried about trivial stuff. Get over yourself.
IMO Not trivial, several recent accidents with death couple years ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, path, person, cart, remain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.