when out of TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Default when out of TV

When we last cruised on a ship, we noticed that when we spoke about T.V. and our lifestyle here, folks tended to look at us in one of two ways:
A/ Deer in headlights unbelief...then a 'tell me more' look.
B/ "You gotta be kiddin' me...I don't believe it at all."
Where have you been and what have you experienced in sharing
about T.V. to people? How do they react?

Last edited by The Gray Hog; 04-10-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gray Hog View Post
We have cruised on ships a bit and notice that when we speak to
folks whom have never heard of or experienced T.V., they look at
us on one of two ways:
A/ Deer in headlights unbelief...then a 'tell me more' look.
B/ "You gotta be kiddin' me...I don't believe it at all."
Where have you been and what have you experienced in sharing
about T.V. to people?
I'll tell you about an experience my sister had. She lives in MA and a few people who frequent her coffee shop are seasonal residents in TV. Well, one day she was at the grocery store and conversation between her and the clerk was about TV. The clerk had that look of disbelief on her face, also, and then a smirk, I'm sure because she was thinking this just can't be a real place. Standing behind my sister was one of her seasonal Villages resident customers. She looked at the clerk and stated, "It's all as Lou describes (my sister had been for a visit and absolutely loved the place) and then some. You can't adequately describe what the community is like and what it's like to live there, it's AMAZING!" My sister smiled, took her groceries, bid farewell to her friend and the clerk. She looked back and the clerk was still wearing that look of disbelief on her face.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 PM

For a gift exchange with people from other areas of the country,
we collected some T.V. logo golf balls and score cards from the country
clubs and cards also from the exec courses. By inserting some
added print info about T.V. this gift is sure to be a winner and get
some questions goin'.
"We're not braggin' folks, its just the facts. Life is good in T.V."
Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Gold member

The first time we heard of TV was on a cruise ship. There was a really annoying couple who wouldn't stop bragging about this place called The Villages. I really didn't care where they lived and tried to get that point across, just to shut them up but they were more than a little dense.
Several months later my wife and I were in Florida on vacation and my wife wanted to check out TV just to see what it was like. Fortunately, we didn't run into the pests. We did find everything they said to be true. The message was good, maybe not the messenger.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Gold member

Trying to describe The Villages to someone who has never been here is like trying to describe Disney World to someone who has only been to a County fair. They have no clue what you are talking about.

How ever we all keep trying. I have found that the longer you live here you slow down in trying to describe this place because of the looks you get from people who have no clue what you are talking about. I just tell them that the development has 486 holes of golf in 29 - 9 hole executive courses and 9 Championship courses with 80,000 people in the development. Then I just look at them for a reaction. If they want to know more they will ask questions. If no questions I drop the subject.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:32 PM

I wish you all would stop telling other people uhtil after I can get around to buying. STOP the Chatter.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Veteran member

My cousin and wife moved to TV a few years ago. Whenever they returned home for holidays, etc, all we heard was TV this and TV that. I simply did not believe it could be that great. They finally convinced us to visit. We purchased a home a week after that first visit. We are moving down in June.

Now, I get the feeling that people do not believe me either, so I try not to be too effusive, but it is difficult. I just hope my good friends who will visit will return home and verify my facts!!! You really do have to see it to believe it.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
Trying to describe The Villages to someone who has never been here is like trying to describe Disney World to someone who has only been to a County fair. They have no clue what you are talking about.

How ever we all keep trying. I have found that the longer you live here you slow down in trying to describe this place because of the looks you get from people who have no clue what you are talking about. I just tell them that the development has 486 holes of golf in 29 - 9 hole executive courses and 9 Championship courses with 80,000 people in the development. Then I just look at them for a reaction. If they want to know more they will ask questions. If no questions I drop the subject.
I think the challenge is greater than that to adequately describe The Villages. I think it is like explaining microwave energy to a kindergärtner in Greece, if you don't speak Greek.

I am so glad the buffalo have moved. When I would launch on my enthusiatic description of TV to friends, when I got to the buffalo they began to back away from me.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
....when i would launch on my enthusiatic description of tv to friends, when i got to the buffalo they began to back away from me.

lololol!!!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post

Trying to describe The Villages to someone who has never been here is like trying to describe Disney World to someone who has only been to a County fair. I have found that the longer you live here you slow down in trying to describe this place because of the looks you get from people who have no clue what you are talking about. If they want to know more they will ask questions. If no questions I drop the subject.
I agree with Indy Guy. We live six winter months in The Bubble and six summer months in Canada. My Canadian friends think I spend the winters in a little rinky-dink trailer park. I usually don't try to explain because it sounds like bragging. If they ask me how large The Villages is, I tell them it is larger than Daytona Beach and I can golf cart to 70 restaurants.

The real joy is when a Canadian friend comes to visit and we take them to Lake Sumter for lunch. The expressions on their faces ... priceless!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Platinum member

I encounter lots and lots of disbelieving stares as I tell folks about TV on my cruises. Now and then, someone will say, "Oh yeah, I saw something on the Golf Channel," but that still doesn't persuade them that my "sales pitch" is honest!

Years ago, when I had pretty well made up my mind that I'd move to Florida, with TV a leading candidate, I met an English couple on a tour in Costa Rica. They were the first and just about only people I've met on trips who even knew what I was talking about. They've been renters here several times over the years. And they're not even golfers!

SWR
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Sage

I close friend of mine was always inviting me to come and visit him at TV.
Several years ago, I visited TV for the first time and was blown away with how beautiful everything was. An adult Disneyland.
When I explained TV to my close friends, they get a far away glassy look in their eyes and my impression is "this is too good to be true" look in their faces.
The advertising is right in that you have to see TV to believe how wonderful it is. No amount of words can really describe TV.
When I become a resident, it will have been later than what I had wished for.
I yearn to be in paradise, (AKA TV).
Old 04-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY
Angry Does Anyone Else Hear This?

What I find is that people can't wait to tell me (With a smirk on their face)about how they have read/heard that TV is the STD capital of the US, or maybe the world. That really BUGS me. I don't believe it, no matter what Leisure World said, but always ask them, "What does that have to do with me?"
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Sage

I don't say much about it unless people ask. Then my 60-word explanation is:
The Villages has nine 27-hole championship golf clubs, 29 executive course, 70 restaurants, free live music and dancing at two town squares seven nights a week, two movie theaters, bowling alleys, live theater performances, a community college, golf cart access everywhere inside The Villages, community swimming pools, and tons of recreation centers featuring every art and craft and sport imaginable.
The reaction I get: Wow, when can I come visit! Several of our friends have visited us when we have been able to get down. Atlanta is not that far.

Even with that description though, when friends and family have visited, they have still been awed by the beauty, size, scope, town squares, country clubs, rec. centers and number and variety of golf carts. It really can't be described. It's something you have to see for yourself.

I am sometimes asked about the std issue. I wink and say, "Yeah, and the residents are old enough to know better! But, I'm not worried. I keep my zipper up."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.