When this is over, what will change?

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2020, 01:04 PM

" I don't know of ANY ss recipients who could live in the Villages on ss alone. I stand on my statement. "

Of course you stand on your statement, it's your statement.

I live on my income from Social Security.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:27 PM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
" I don't know of ANY ss recipients who could live in the Villages on ss alone. I stand on my statement. "

Of course you stand on your statement, it's your statement.

I live on my income from Social Security.
Perhaps I mis-spoke.
I stand BY my statement. Is that better? You obviously got the idea, but chose to get a bit snarky.
If you do live solely on your Social Security income, I congratulate you. Obviously, no mortgage. Possibly maxed out benefits by holding off on retirement? Good strategy, although not all can do that. You are the only person I have heard of that is living strictly off Social Security. I doubt many others are in your position.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
Perhaps I mis-spoke.
I stand BY my statement. Is that better? You obviously got the idea, but chose to get a bit snarky.
If you do live solely on your Social Security income, I congratulate you. Obviously, no mortgage. Possibly maxed out benefits by holding off on retirement? Good strategy, although not all can do that. You are the only person I have heard of that is living strictly off Social Security. I doubt many others are in your position.
My spouse's pension is less than what just his SS payments will be when he's eligible for it next year, and we have no trouble living off of just his pension as long as we're careful and don't go crazy with travel or expensive toys and doodads. Our health care costs are low only because I work part time to bump up our combined income JUST enough to be eligible for ACA subsidies. It's just another $1600/year that we need to make up for. His social security check will bring us to the point where I can quit working forever. And that would be true even if he didn't have his pension.

Two years after that, I'll get MY social security, and we'll be living the lifestyle we had actually planned on living before hubby's department shut down and forced him into early retirement.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

I congratulate you. Obviously, little or no mortgage. Little or no debt. According to reports I have seen, approximately 40% of villagers have mortgages. That has a huge impact on affordability if you only receive ss. Once you are on just ss, don't forget to budget for medical expenses. Either a significant monthly premium with no deductibles/copays, or no premium with significant copays. They get you one way or the other. Don't forget to budget for even minimal travel. Or gifts to kids/grandkids. Oh yeah, and then there is car insurance, home owners' insurance. Did I mention water, trash, amenity fees? And when the virus problem is eventually solved, you may want to go out to eat on occasion. I'm pretty sure I may be missing some other items.
If you can truly live on only ss income, and not touching savings or 401k or pensions to accommodate any of the above, you are way ahead of the game. Congratulations.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:29 AM
Sage

I believe the cruise industry is totally finished, unless a cure and a vaccine is developed, And ship design will have to be altered dramatically--maximum density will now play second fiddle to safety & sanitation

They let the frequent norovirus exposures go on for way too long
Closed Thread

Tags
people, save, learn, change, country

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.