When should people retire and where?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

My advice financially is simple. Make sure you have enough money to last you, at whatever age you decide to retire.

Last edited by Ben Franklin; 11-16-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

When hubby works 16 hour days and does not want to retire yet (he loves his job) I remind him of Tom Petty, he didn’t get to retire. One of these days hubby will agree to either go part-time or retire. I am counting the days.

With me it was easy, as far as finances go, I worked enough years that if I worked anymore my further taxes would take most of the income.

Where was easy too. TV is family legacy.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
One of my golfing buddies (who had 15 years on me) always told me, "Retire as soon as you can, you never know."

I have watched many people die too young and only enjoyed a few years of retirement.

My first visit to The Villages was in my 30's. I watched it grow. I made a plan and executed it.

$150/mth is not much for what you get, but there are some who just can't afford it.
Hey, you’re not the guy I met at the Webb pool about 20 or so years ago, are you? Cause you sure sound like him.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

As soon as financially possible and wherever makes one happy.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I don't think there's any such thing as "should" for when and where someone retires. You "should" retire when circumstances dictate that you're retired, and you "should" retire to wherever you decide your circumstances allow best.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:02 PM

Life is short and money isn't everything. Do what you feel like doing. Money always works out if you're sensible. Enjoy life. You never know what tomorrow may bring.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We're dealing with a forced retirement situation at my house. We would have retired in 2022, when he'd be eligible for social security, and his employer would have covered his health insurance until Medicare kicked in. They shut down the plant, and he's a skilled tradesman in an almost-obsolete trade so it's not likely he'd ever make even half of what he was making before they turned him out. Unfortunately, if he DID go back to work full time, we wouldn't qualify for ACA subsidies and our health insurance was $2000/month. Currently we don't earn enough for subsidies, but neither of us is the right age or disabled so we don't qualify for medicaid either. So I'm going back to work part time, gladly, and will happily accept a low wage. And then, we'll be able to get health insurance. Til then we're just hoping to stay healthy.
When I read about situations such as this, I realise our much maligned Health Care System here in UK. is not so bad after all.
It may have many faults, but at least we do not live in fear of falling sick with a serious illness, and not being able to afford treatment, or worse still, being bankrupted for obtaining it, because you have no health insurance.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:01 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Hey, you’re not the guy I met at the Webb pool about 20 or so years ago, are you? Cause you sure sound like him.

I dew pool-side seminars all the time.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We're dealing with a forced retirement situation at my house. We would have retired in 2022, when he'd be eligible for social security, and his employer would have covered his health insurance until Medicare kicked in. They shut down the plant, and he's a skilled tradesman in an almost-obsolete trade so it's not likely he'd ever make even half of what he was making before they turned him out. Unfortunately, if he DID go back to work full time, we wouldn't qualify for ACA subsidies and our health insurance was $2000/month. Currently we don't earn enough for subsidies, but neither of us is the right age or disabled so we don't qualify for medicaid either. So I'm going back to work part time, gladly, and will happily accept a low wage. And then, we'll be able to get health insurance. Til then we're just hoping to stay healthy.

With or without health insurance...............this is the hope of everyone.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
One of my golfing buddies (who had 15 years on me) always told me, "Retire as soon as you can, you never know."

I have watched many people die too young and only enjoyed a few years of retirement.

My first visit to The Villages was in my 30's. I watched it grow. I made a plan and executed it.

$150/mth is not much for what you get, but there are some who just can't afford it.
I loved my job, and would still be doing it if there was not for a required retirement age. When I get to 5000 post let me know to get a life
Old 11-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Retirement

Retired at 52 and never looked back. Go back and forth between Pittsburgh and The Villages.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I loved my job, and would still be doing it if there was not for a required retirement age.

I loved my job too, in my case I was tired of the 3 hour round trip commute, retired @ 62. Our original goal was 58 years of age to retire, we missed it. The ultimate driving force was the premature death of my 64 year old father who died a month before retirement. Have now been retired 6 years. I also lost 3 life long friends this year two aged 67 and the other 69.........happy I retired @ 62. I’ve had a very fulfilling life and have done everything I wanted to, if I pass today I have no regrets.

P.S. We have had homes in both On Top of the World and Oak Run both in Ocala. The costs to live there are less than TV, but there just isn’t enough activity at either retirement community like there is here.

Last edited by B-flat; 11-17-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I retired at 54 and my husband at 62. We moved to TV 2 weeks after his retirement. We made a good choice.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
As others have said, everyone's situation is different. I have been working full time for 36 years now. If I could afford it today and did not need my employer's health insurance, I would retire from full time employment and get a part-time job (20-25 hours a week) just to stay out of trouble.

I am 2 years and 11 months away from being able to start collecting SS, but I really don't want to start collecting at age 62. I'm hoping to wait until 65 to start collecting SS, even though my full retirement age is 67. I don't know if I have inherited more of my mother's genes (she passed away at 67) or my father's genes (he is 89), but I really don't want to wait until 67 to start collecting SS as tomorrow is guaranteed to no one. In the past few years, two friends of mine died unexpectedly. One at age 56, and the other at age 64.

And then the wild card in all of this is my job...my manager quite often brings up the topic of automation and elimination of jobs in my team sometime in the next few years. And I know whose job will be gone if automation/robotization comes to pass...mine.
I retired the first day I turned 62. I worked 46 years and planned on early retirement 10 years before it happen. I got my son through college and graduate school, he’s set. We paid off all bills, loans, and house 10 years before we retired.
Actually in my situation I make more retired than when I worked. I suffer though last 10 years with medical issue, but I made it. IMO it’s not the amenities fees, it’s the other costs you have figure in (taxes, utilities, cost of living) Florida May not have no state taxes, but the make up for it in sales tax, county taxes IMO. Course I didn’t come from the NE.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The details aren't important anymore as they were a few years ago when uncertainty surrounded us when an unexpected health issue forced the end to a great work-life. The fact that a beautiful landing spot such as The Villages had been prepared for us and that we found it easily was and is a miracle in our lives and we are very grateful in every way for it. I was only 57 when we were shocked that the work-life had to stop immediately. I kept going until I was 58 because I was built to work and just couldn't deal with the news that I had to stop. The Doctor put it directly to me and I stopped the next day.

I have had so many people in my personal and old work-life pass during 2019. I'm so sorry for their families but it makes me even more grateful that my situation had a softer landing. It's true that there are no guarantees. Today was the best I could make it and if I get tomorrow I'm going to try and make it even better. And onward we go!
Closed Thread

Tags
retire, working, husband, ready, sixties

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.