and when you get older . . .

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 AM
Sage

My young nephew's wife came to NY from Germany and did not get a driver's license until she had been here about 11 years. During that time they lived in White Plains, were raising young children, and she went everywhere (work, doctors, groceries etc.) by cab. She said it cost $3000 a year but that driving a car would have cost more (may be true -don't know). Cabs much cheaper here than in WP and readily available. Go figure,
Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Wrestling for the Keys........

Good morning, kofficer,

I understand your thoughts completely. You have asked an important question. TV is unique and its golf cart accessibility is quite wonderful, but the availability of transportation when it is time to turn over the keys is something to think about. I am glad you asked. And when I saw your question, I remembered this.......

Here on TOTV, every once in awhile, topics turn to the accidents and near-accidents there in TV. Golf carts and cars can be a dangerous and even deadly mix. There is a lot of confusion in the roundabouts it seems. And you are always going to have those drivers with short fuses and a sense of entitlement -- just like everywhere else.

My guess is that there is another contributory factor to those driving problems in TV. And that factor may be in a larger percentage than it is elsewhere.

I know that many here have already faced those circumstances in life where the child must become the parent and the parent must become the child. There is nothing easy about doing that, from either perspective.

I wrote somewhere once in one of these threads about the real struggle we had with Mr. Boomer's dear father and the Oldsmobile keys.

Mr. Boomer, Sr. was strongly independent and his mind was sharp, but his body was betraying him. Throw in that old saying that we use in our family, "You can always tell a German, but you can't tell him much," and it will give you some idea of what we went through. And I know that so many of you can relate.

He had some vision problems that had developed that he neglected to tell anybody about right away.

When we found out, the first question was, "Why are you still driving?"

His answer to us, "I can see shapes."

Well, the vision problem was corrected and so he kept driving.

But then he developed peripheral neuropathy. That is a condition that diabetics can develop and it can cause them to lose feeling in their feet. There were times when he could not distinguish the brake pedal from the gas pedal. And there were accidents. One involved the wall between the garage and the house. No one was sitting on the family room couch at the time or the accident could have been deadly.

The car keys are a symbol of freedom, whether we are 16 or 85. When I first got mine, I found many reasons to carry that key ring in my hand, swinging it around for the world to see. (You know you did, too.)

To have to take the freedom of the car keys away is not fun.

And I am afraid that sometimes, for those like Mr. Boomer, Sr., the perception of driving a golf cart is that you can just do it forever, whether you can feel your feet or see should make no difference whatsoever. And my guess is that fewer adult kids think about or want to think about wrestling for the golf cart keys.

So please watch out for each other there in TV. Because my guess is that when the kids visit, they are not coming to wrestle for the keys. They are there to have fun, too.

Boomer
Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default interesting topic

I know there has been some discussion about this in the past; but I wonder if there is a real need for volunteers to drive for errands or doctor appts. I know someone mentioned the liability issue/law suit issue sooo one would need to be very careful about this sort of thing. I had kicked this issue around since I know someone here in Indiana that is in his mid 80's and he told me he keeps busy by driving the "old" poeple for errands (he was talking about those in their 90's) (BTW he also does their yard work...all as ministry) I know that one would have to be extremely careful about such an endeavor/ministry or maybe business....but the people in TV are soooo friendly. I wonder if neighbors could co-op together and take care of each other that way....just some thoughts. Sorry to ramble.

I have also wondered this same thing about the aging issue. My mother, like Boomers father, was a problem and threw one big "hissy fit" when we had to take her keys away....she was just getting into toooo many accidents and hiding it from us and blaming it on others....(she was paranoid with dimentia). We had to have the police remove her from her apartment since she had a gun and was bothering others. Definitley not the Walton's.

I had also thought that I would rather chance it by moving to TV, not knowing what the future holds, and taking it from there. No one is promised health or even tomorrow. I would rather be there and enjoy some good years and flex if things changed. If nothing else one could move back to family knowing that you had some good years there.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Very well said, Mr. Boomer, and I thank you. My husband is diabetic, and usually he is not the one to think ahead so much, but I think he is concerned about what "if" in this case. I'm sure we will figure it out, and I also know that we will give up our keys to our transportation way before we give up living in our own home, that, we will be very German about.

Lee and Richard in Tampa (for not too much longer)
Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM

and to S. Smith and others, very good answers, and we too, will take our chances. There are companies that do this kind of thing, obviously, as other communities have regular "runs", so I guess when enough of us get to the age of needing this kind of "service", it may be offered. As we just turned 65, I don't think we are planning on needing this kind of thing for some time yet . . . just thinking ahead.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofficer View Post
My husband and I are just wondering what everyone plans to do when they are in their 80s, and should probably no longer drive, how are you going to get to doctors and shopping, etc. Do you plan to just slow down and putt putt in your golf cart where you want to go, or like some of the other communities we are looking at which offer regular, scheduled buses or van service to the various shopping centers and grocery stores, is there any thing like that in the Villages?

How about cab service, is that readily available?

LeeoTampa
kofficer:

It is very smart of you to think ahead but as we all know, we don't have total control over our health. All we can do is try and stay as healthy as possible by going to the doctor as needed and hope for the best. I personally have a concern for my vision as I am a type 2 diabetic who's mother had macular degeneration.

My father had vision problems and when he got older, he constantly hit something, (parking meters and other cars when parking). One time, I was in the car with him and a cat ran into the road and he never saw it. At that point, the car keys needed to be taken away before he killed someone. Unfortunately, he felt that his independence was stripped and he lost the will to live.

I will depend on the friends I have and if that is not an option, I will cab it assuming I can not drive a cart safely either. I remember reading of some communitites that were built to offer help to senior citizens for their needs.

Maybe a "Get a Ride" club could be formed to facilitate people with help getting to the doctors.

My mother fought with all her strength to be independent as she did not want to go to a nursing home. She succeeded. Only time will tell when one needs to use that option.

Best Wishes for future health.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Veteran member
Default Have the same concern

We have friends who are in their mid 70's and just moved "back home" after 14 years in TV. They moved to an independent living facility that allows them to enter the nursing home part of the facility at no added cost. They felt the need to be near their children, but did not want to burden them. TV has an independent facility, but it appears to be expensive. We have no children to "go back to" and have some of your same concern. When we get to TV and get settled in, we will begin to look into independent living facilites. We like to plan for the future.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Wink and when you get older

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofficer View Post
My husband and I are just wondering what everyone plans to do when they are in their 80s, and should probably no longer drive, how are you going to get to doctors and shopping, etc. Do you plan to just slow down and putt putt in your golf cart where you want to go, or like some of the other communities we are looking at which offer regular, scheduled buses or van service to the various shopping centers and grocery stores, is there any thing like that in the Villages?

How about cab service, is that readily available?

LeeoTampa
I guess we can just adopt a young 70 year old who can drive!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default CaseyLou

Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseylou5 View Post
I guess we can just adopt a young 70 year old who can drive!

caseylou:

I'm under 70. Will you adopt me?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM

any you are right in the same mind set we are. No children. Two half sisters and a niece. I don't want to burden them, if I can help it. We have health issues, that will get us at some point . . . the very last thing I want is to be in a Nursing Home in Florida, and this State is not interested seeing about helping people stay in their homes instead of going to one. But I'm not ready to leave yet, either (in Tampa right now). We are cruisers and 3 night a week bowlers, and ball room dancers and gym rats, among other things, and I think the Villages will keep us young longer than anywhere else. So, we'll cross our fingers and let the future be what it is, and handle it when it comes, I guess. There comes a point where you over-think things, and it keeps you from enjoying your life.

Richard and Lee in Tampa.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I have learned that there is a taxi service that I think is owned by The Villages. I believe this is in addition to the airport shuttle.

It seems like there would be others in the area. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone to set up (outside TV) a small fleet and all necessary insurances, background checks, and testing to provide such a service to TV residents. Should be room for competition even -- especially eventually.

As TV grows and the residents grow older so will the need for drivers.

I have wondered, too, if there are continuum-of-care communities in proximity to TV though not connected.

Seems like there are niches to be filled. That is a large aging population in TV so the ratio of need could become out of proportion to what would be provided directly by TV-owned entities only.

But what do I know. A rainy afternoon just changed my plans so here I sit on TOTV, just thinking out loud.

Boomer (might someday be Miss Daisy Boomer)
Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 PM

In addressing the original question, there are several transportation and living arrangement possibilties in The Villages as one loses the ability to operate various vehicles and needs to get to doctors as well as other more fun things in life. There are certainly taxis but we find that we travel to entertainments and dining with neighbors. The are also private people who will drive you short distances economically. Then there are are county services. When and if you reach the point you are no longer mobile, then there are other living arrangements here for your as well.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Platinum member

Reaching 80 may not mean one is less able to drive. However, exiting the car at one's destination can become time consuming.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

I do believe that there is a shuttle that travels around the town squares and strip malls for a very small fee which I think is under $1. Golf carts are the most popular form of transportation, and please know that at 80 yrs old doesn't mean you're stuck; not here in TV, for sure. They're all ages who are very active here and there is no age/class distinction of any kind as age is merely a number.

My neighbor is 80+ and never drove a vehicle, yet she putts all over TV in her golf cart (doesn't play golf) and is so very independent and living alone and always has a smile on her face.

One sets their own pace as to socializing, also with the abundance of activities that never "break the bank." I recall being told that there's a 90 yr old man that teaches roller-blading!!!!

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.