where to buy pics?

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default where to buy pics?

I feel a bit out of sorts since we moved here. You see I knew where to buy things and get good deals.

Where does one buy art/pictures for the wall. I am changing to Florida Decor and can't seem to find that Store where the prices are right and the style is right.

Also has anyone explored much beyond our borders? I have been to The Millenia Mall and liked the Macy's but the other stores were out of my price range. The Ocala mall seems too small and the outdoor shopping plaza doesn't have Macy's.

What I am saying is that I am a bit worried about safety in Orlando and don't know where to stay away from. It seems we pass malls while on the way to locations but I am not sure if they are safe or good malls.

Also please take this with a grain of salt....I am not complaining about being here....just trying to get adjusted ....that is all.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

For Florida style pictures go to Bealls. There is one on 441 between Lowes and Walmart and another just north of 466, turn right just after Olive Garden. The pictures are in the back of the store, the prices will look high, but they have a discount price chart on the wall. They also have a lot of Florida type accessories.

For Malls, in Orlando the Florida Mall is more in line with prices, but it's very busy. It's maybe five miles further than Millenia Mall. The neighborhood is probably not even better, it's off the Airport Exit on Orange Blossom Trail, which is 441.

We prefer to go to Gainesville, to Oaks Mall. It's the same distance as Florida Mall but in the opposite direction. It's a college town and most of the people are Floridians or students from parts in Florida and very few tourist or foreigners. They have 5 anchors stores and is almost as big as Florida Mall, but does lack in the food court. Take I-75 north to the third Gainesville Exit, Newberry Road. Go east a couple of blocks and it's on the right.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:50 PM

Try Marion Market. Cheap and you can get framing on the spot.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Default Photography Club

The Photography Club here in The Villages displays their pictures. When I was there I remarked that someone could decorate an entire home with the pictures on display, (and you'll meet the person responsible for the beautiful pictures).
Old 02-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Pier one, Kirklands, TJMaxx, Bealls Outlet, and Bed Bath and Beyond? Been there?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

Hmm, depending on your price range, I am an acrylic artist and have some pieces for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	48040   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Beach Bums.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	48041   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Tropical Picture.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	48042  

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 PM

Don't worry. We'll find some pictures for you.

The website I am sharing here can help you to make your Florida décor unique. It is fun to look through. And it seems like there is always a promo code. I have bought several things from them over the years.

When you open this link, be prepared to be dazzled. Well, maybe overwhelmed is more like it But please don’t scream and run away.

Just type the word Florida into the search box. There! Now you have 7759 pictures to choose from.

Wait! It’s going to be OK. Now, go to the left side of the page where it says Narrow Results and scroll waaaaaay down the list of things to narrow by and there you will find price.

(Oh #%@&!, while I was following my own directions, I typed in less than 25 dollars and I found a print of a vintage postcard of Florida. $24.99. Hmmm, that might look good in my guest bathroom. . . perhaps a little Freudian, but maybe.)

Uh. . .ok. . .You can narrow the results with things besides price, too. They are all there on the left-side list.

That’s a good thing because if you type the word flamingo into the search line, you will get 855 hits; palm trees, 5958 hits. Or let’s say by this point you are thinking about your wine rack and so you type in wine. That will give you 7578 hits. Thank goodness for the ability to narrow those results. (and at the top of the list, don't miss the clear all so you can start all over.)

Something else I have seen people do here with décor (me, too) is to find a picture of something from your hometown or state or favorite place. Just put it in that search box and away you go.

If you find some things you like, then all you have to do is find some frames.

Anyway, ss, I know you have heard to be careful what you wish for. When I get on art.com, time goes bye-bye. Consider yourself warned. I am going to let the genie out of the bottle.

http://www.art.com/

Last edited by Laurie2; 02-20-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typos and adding info
Old 02-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Hmm, depending on your price range, I am an acrylic artist and have some pieces for sale.

You are an excellent artist.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

All Posters.com is a great source of all kinds of art. I know, it's hard to move and not know where to shop but in time you will be expert. BTW there is and arts and crafts festival at LSL tomorrow. Also I love International Plaza Mall in Tampa.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:31 PM

Picture you on main st in Spanish Springs has a huge selection and a big sale this week only (annual sale). Also register for the drawing for a $500 shopping spree while you are there. This is a strange store. They carry art and jewelry. Eclectic to say the least!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGranny View Post
Picture you on main st in Spanish Springs has a huge selection and a big sale this week only (annual sale). Also register for the drawing for a $500 shopping spree while you are there. This is a strange store. They carry art and jewelry. Eclectic to say the least!
We checked out Picture You last year. They had a sign outside that said something like "25% off Everyday Low Prices."
Sounded ok. We found a picture that was marked something like (I forget the exact numbers) $200 original / $150. All their picture prices are pre-marked like that and we knew that the $150 is the actual "Everyday Price." Well, it turns out that the price of that item was still $150. No 25% off of the "Everyday Low Price." They actually said the $150 represented the sale price... and $200 was the everyday price. The picture was nice... but
not the sale they advertised.
We got a nice picture at Bealls.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Gold member
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Wanda, you are one talented lady! Your work is simply beautiful!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

Thank you both for the compliments. I can not wait to start taking classes in TV. The more I learn the more I know I need to learn. It is a lifelong process.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

SS - Don't overlook the weekly garage/yard/estate sales throughout the villages. Folks frequently change their décor and offer lots of framed and unframed art at such sales. A group of us often goes 'sailing' even if/when we're not looking for something special - we find it's a great way to meet Villagers - and someone often finds something they didn't think they 'needed'!

And then you have the local thrift and consignment stores. Lots of 'Mom & Dads stuff' winds up in those places when the 'kids' decide they don't want it! I took the liberty of doing internet searches for you on both types of dealers in our local zip codes:
thrift store 32162 - Bing

thrift store 32159 - Bing

consignment store 32162 - Bing

consignment store 32159 - Bing

Hope that helps!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Many thanks, much appreciated

All helpful thanks!!!!

Wanda, you are a talented artist for sure ....need to think about what I want.

Yep been to Bealls, Kohls, Pier One etc. Still searching.

Thanks for mall ideas....good to know.

I have not found what I want in the thrift stores....have checked many out but I am pick, I know!!!

I have been to Kings Gallery but will check out Picture You also...They are not the same store???right????

Laurie, I will check out that websight....thanks....I have gotten lost looking at websights already and that is why I appealed to all you helpful folks.

I also agree about the photography club but I was more interested in paintings this time ....at least I think that is what I want lol!!!

Plan on finally hitting Marion Markets sometime soon ....between company coming that is.....hahahaha

You all are very helpful and will also check out the Florida and Gainsville malls.

BTW I have been here 5 months, visitted many many times and am still enamored with the place!!!!

If you have other ideas.....I will welcome them....I am also checking out Ruth Dyers Finishing Touch shop....pricey but oh sooooo nice!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.