More on Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Default More on Roundabouts

http://www.economist.com/node/215387...whatgoesaround

The link takes you to yet another "roundabout" tale, a relaxing read.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Just returned from Sidonia AZ and they have gone to all roundabouts. Traffic moves significantly better then when they had traffic lights. They reduce accidents, save fuel, move traffic better, and are less maintenance then traffic lights. Should be required for all new construction. Everyone should be happy we have them.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Just returned from Sidonia AZ and they have gone to all roundabouts. Traffic moves significantly better then when they had traffic lights. They reduce accidents, save fuel, move traffic better, and are less maintenance then traffic lights. Should be required for all new construction. Everyone should be happy we have them.
I understand what you are saying... But I still went to U Tube to learn how to drive in them. When I was down last week my sales rep almost got creamed in one as someone didn't know how to drive it. There is a trick to them.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Sage

This is an example of what I'm talking about!!!

http://youtu.be/Jesf4xFOg1Q
Old 11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Sage
Default Easy Peasy!!!

http://youtu.be/xuxKtxzq2Cs
Old 11-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Sage

Last week a woman in the traffic circle traveling ahead of us stopped to wave a vehicle in to the circle. I hope she reads the roundabout brochure soon.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Last week a woman in the traffic circle traveling ahead of us stopped to wave a vehicle in to the circle. I hope she reads the roundabout brochure soon.
omg
Old 11-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Eternal Member

The one thing that I notice in the OP's link is the lack of anything blocking the drivers vision around the roundabout. I know the landscaping is nice but a better view of what is coming around would be nice.

VG
Old 11-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
The one thing that I notice in the OP's link is the lack of anything blocking the drivers vision around the roundabout. I know the landscaping is nice but a better view of what is coming around would be nice.

VG
Just slow down!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Ahhhhh.... I love the roundabouts. This time of year, driving through TV is always good for a chuckle or two at the roundabouts. There are so few in the US, most drivers just have no clue how to properly navigate...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Just slow down!
No problem there, I just like to see what is coming at me. My approach to roundabouts is to drive them properly and ALWAYS know where the other driver is at and watch for them to make a mistake. Up north where I grew up I lived a few miles from a roundabout that has 8 roads leading into it. Going through there at rush hour you learned real quick to always look out for the other guy as they will be the one to do something stupid.

And a side note, I never have had a moving traffic ticket in my life and not planning to start now.

VG
Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Veteran member

Mayhem
Roundabouts. When in doubt, just go straight.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I really fail to understand how anyone can claim they don't know how to use a roundabout. It is exactly the same as a traffic light. If you want to turn right at a light, you use the right hand lane. If you want to turn left at a light you use the left hand lane. If you want to go straight through you use either lane. And you always yield to someone already in the intersection. Roundabouts work exactly the same way. Those that can't follow those simple rules are probably a problem any where they drive.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I really fail to understand how anyone can claim they don't know how to use a roundabout. It is exactly the same as a traffic light. If you want to turn right at a light, you use the right hand lane. If you want to turn left at a light you use the left hand lane. If you want to go straight through you use either lane. And you always yield to someone already in the intersection. Roundabouts work exactly the same way. Those that can't follow those simple rules are probably a problem any where they drive.
Exactly! Let's be honest here....knowing HOW to drive is not a requirement to get a drivers license anymore... The folks that can't figure out a roundabout are also the same people running stop signs, hanging over in the cart lane, turning right on a red light without stopping, cruising [sometimes below the speed limit] in the left lane...you name it.

Just saying.....
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Gold member

Driving in Rotaries in Boston is really exciting, especially when it is dark, snowing and wind blowing at rush hour !! The rotaries in TV are a piece of cake.....but because there are so many here who have not had prior experience, watch out for yourself, but don't ever stop in the rotary!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.