Where do you buy fruit?

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Good luck! I miss my he$$ 2 acres, I had 3 types pear, 2 types apples, apricots, peaches, red plum, seedless pink grapes, and luscious three types of Rainer cherries. If you never tasted Rainer cherries off the tree you have not clue how good cherry can taste. Not to mention vegetable garden. Nothing down here comes close to taste.
Rainier cherries are divine.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
You have hit on a favorite subject of mine, namely Florida Grapefruit. We have been coming to Florida for vacations in the winter for many years and always stayed close to the beach at Reddington Shores on the Gulf. We used to shop at a privately owned Citrus Grove close to the beach, they had everything including veg. They were known for their grapefruit and they were to die for, and so cheap it was ridiculous, you could get a huge grapefruit for 25c. In those days you could get a grapefruit called Duncan, they were white flesh and very juicy, huge, smooth skinned and shiny with loads of seeds. They were one of the original grapefruits grown in Florida, but because they had seeds people did not want them, you can no longer buy them anywhere unless you find someone who still has a tree. Then came the citrus canker outbreak and many of the old reliable groves were burned to the ground. Also, growing grapefruit is hard work and the descendants of the original growers sold off the land for developments like ours! So the grapefruit business has now gone to Texas and in the summer, California.

So we basically ruined our own Florida grapefruit business!!!
Madeleine, for six years we drove from Michigan to Key West for the winter. Every rest stop on the turnpike and interstate would have tables of cut-up oranges and grapefruit to try. They were delicious, and I always bought a supply. I wonder if they still have these vendors.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

I agree about the fruit and tomatoes grown in Florida. The blueberries are good and like everywhere else in the country the strawberries are good depending on the growing weather. Is it the soil, weather, water? The little cantaloupes in a bag and the flavor bomb cherry tomatoes at Sams are divine.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 AM

Sat. farmers market... he best
Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

They don't have dirt here, real dirt, not enriched sand. Nice, bountiful, full of nutrients, worms and bugs of all kinds to enrich the soil with all kinds of good stuff to nourish and to encourage the fruits and vegetables to be full of flavor. We are heading back North in two weeks and can't wait to buy the produce there. Especially Wegmans that buys from local farms for their stores produce departments. Plus the farmers will be opening up their retail markets soon, when they start picking as soon as the become available.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Strawberries are not so tasty now, because the majority of them are grown hydropinically, not in the soil.
Even the Plant City strawberries are nothing like they used to be. JMO.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default Re: Strawberries and most fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Strawberries are not so tasty now, because the majority of them are grown hydropinically, not in the soil.
They grow what people buy. Strawberries, people buy large pretty looking berries. An old variety, you may be able to buy plants was
GUARDIAN. The berries are far smaller and kind of misshapen but they are far better tasting then what is currently offered for sale.

As to,"soil," most of the villages is sandy clay with a high PH.
You can either wish you had better or improve what you have.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I was in Virginia visiting the grand kids last week and went to the grocery store and bought fruit. And I do know how to buy good fruit. I got watermelon, pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes, and peaches and made them a big fresh fruit platter. All fruit was excellent.

When I got home I went to Publix and bought almost the same fruits. No peaches as they didn't have any. It was all terrible, no taste, mealy, dry, worst fruit ever. I have tried all the different stores here, Publix, Aldi's, Fresh Market, Walmart, Winn Dixie and the same thing.

I can't seem to buy decent fruit in Florida. You would think it would be just the opposite, but I find the fruit here terrible. I can usually get decent grapes and apples and sometimes blueberries, but almost everything else is awful.

Why can't we get decent fruit here? What I bought in Virginia came from all over and it was all excellent. Here it was all awful. WHY?
It seems like your post is more of a statement than a question. But...

We buy our fruit at Sam's, the Farmers Market (Brownwood) and Publix. Having lived in Virginia for 50+ years, I don't notice any huge difference, or lack of quality of the fruit down here.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
They grow what people buy. Strawberries, people buy large pretty looking berries. An old variety, you may be able to buy plants was
GUARDIAN. The berries are far smaller and kind of misshapen but they are far better tasting then what is currently offered for sale.

As to,"soil," most of the villages is sandy clay with a high PH.
You can either wish you had better or improve what you have.
Yes, yes, yes. You WANT, you DEMAND strawberries all year round. Strawberries grow for one short period and then they are done until they grow and ripen again. You want to dip your strawberries in chocolate, do you have any idea what would happen to a good tasting juicy berry that is dipped in hot chocolate, it would disintegrate in no time flat, so these solid big ol' strawberries are perfect to dip in chocolate. My grandson sent me a box last Christmas, they were in the refrigerator for about two weeks and still the strawberries did not break down, all they did was sweat inside the strawberry coating.

We ALL want fruit year round and, therefore, it has to be imported into our area, and all areas, from the growers. It is picked unripe and ripened by gassing it.

So, seems to me all people missing great tasting fruit should only buy that fruit when it is in season. Right now Athena melons are in the stores, they are absolutely delicious, they are also over ripe. I opened one today that is already starting to become juice all on its own! It will not last more than a couple of days. How about bananas, I only buy two bananas at a time because by the second day they are over ripe. I love plums, nectarines and peaches, but if you buy in the store they are like rocks and probably will not ripen, but will become woody and mushy, yuk. The only fruit I really rely on are cherries, grapes and apples. The cherries are delicious, grapes are great and apples are crispy and reliable and all three are very expensive.

I happen to really like strawberries and I buy them year round, ,but I don't eat them as strawberries, I smash them down and mix them into my yogurt.

It is what it is, we are either going to buy what is in the store or we are going to go without!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-23-2019, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

We used to love buying our fruit and vegetables, as well as fresh fish, at the weekly farmers market in Spanish Springs. Unfortunately, the powers that be decided to end the Spanish Springs farmers market. Brownwood is just too far of a golf cart ride for a farmers market, but it is closer to where new homes are being built, so that's where the farmers market is now.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Veteran member

The produce in general here was a bit of a shock coming from California. Fingers crossed for the upcoming Villages Grown project. Lady Lake also has a farmer's market.

I can't vouch for the accuracy or quality of the fruit, but here are some pick-your-own farms in the area and a list from the National Farmers Market Directory.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Strawberries are nothing like they used to be ever since I found out the GOAT, Tom Brady, does not eat them because they can cause inflammation of the joints. If TB12 says that strawberries might not be good for you, then I won't eat them. Can't argue with what works for the greatest of all time! Can't wait to see him compete for his unprecedented 7th super bowl at a record age of 42, in a game where the average career length is about 3 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
fruit, bought, buy, decent, peaches

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.