Where to securely park my bike?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2022, 07:45 AM
Default Where to securely park my bike?

So I recently got a bike. It was expensive (like everything else). I would like to do what I can to prevent theft of it.
I would like to ride it up to the squares (Sumter, Spanish Springs and Brownwood) and maybe stop for a coffee or lunch.
Any ideas on the proper way to secure it (I have a locking chain mechanism) while I am away from it?
So far, I have not seen any bike racks.
I see lamposts and palm trees that would work but I don't want to violate any rules by securing it to them.
Thanks for any ideas.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:53 AM

I have used a bike rack at Sumter and Brownwood. Just have to look, Brownwood has at least 2 that I know of, I think there should be more.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndCurious View Post
So I recently got a bike. It was expensive (like everything else). I would like to do what I can to prevent theft of it.
I would like to ride it up to the squares (Sumter, Spanish Springs and Brownwood) and maybe stop for a coffee or lunch.
Any ideas on the proper way to secure it (I have a locking chain mechanism) while I am away from it?
I see lamposts and palm trees that would work but I don't want to violate any rules by securing it to them.
Thanks for any ideas.
https://www.bestproductsreviews.com/kryptonite-bike-lock?targetid=dsa-45522777241&matchtype=&device=m&campaignid=1865102 7245&creative=629354088703&adgroupid=149407653264& feeditemid=&loc_physical_ms=9011519&loc_interest_m s=&network=g&devicemodel=&placement=&keyword=$&tar get=&aceid=&adposition=&trackid=us_all_top_1_1&mId =407-132-4411&trackOld=true&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfybBhBKEiwAgtB7f gLC7_iPKk1j5LrqC5udI8QoaxdPbaJ00FAK7vsqBEx6a-d0QvbdIRoCjrUQAvD_BwE

Also a hidden Air Tag or Tile gps tracker
Old 11-24-2022, 09:21 AM
Default Bike rack

Dude, look around how many bike racks do you need. I ride to Brownwood a lot bike rack at Dunkn and at Fenny grill just right of the restaurant, ride there a lot also never had a bad meal there!
Old 11-24-2022, 11:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

define expensive...1k+ is a low end good bike. the more expensive the more protection you'll need. if your wheels/saddle are on quick release they will be taken first. takes a decent thief about 15 seconds to steal a bike no matter how well it's protected.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

There are bike racks in the parking lots in all the town squares.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for any ideas.
I use a cable. My cable is the type where it is coiled. Easy to store yet long enough to secure the frame and the wheels. A chain unless it is a hardened chain is not more resistant to a bolt cutter than is a cable. The typical locks, including mine, can be opened quickly with a hammer. Many bikes, including mine the wheels and the seat have those quick release latches. They can be replaced with normal bolts so that a thief will need tools to steal them. Terms of bikes and price, I own three bikes, I actually cut back. I sold off 6-7 when we moved. The bike I ride mostly, is a middle quality bike, well USED, will not be a prime target for thieves.

Suggestion, be sure to carry tools and a spare tube. With all the construction around here, I've had more flats than I can recall, pre-villages.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
define expensive...1k+ is a low end good bike. the more expensive the more protection you'll need. if your wheels/saddle are on quick release they will be taken first. takes a decent thief about 15 seconds to steal a bike no matter how well it's protected.
The very expensive battery packs on the e bikes will be a favorite target for thieves.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
I use a cable. My cable is the type where it is coiled. Easy to store yet long enough to secure the frame and the wheels. A chain unless it is a hardened chain is not more resistant to a bolt cutter than is a cable. The typical locks, including mine, can be opened quickly with a hammer. Many bikes, including mine the wheels and the seat have those quick release latches. They can be replaced with normal bolts so that a thief will need tools to steal them. Terms of bikes and price, I own three bikes, I actually cut back. I sold off 6-7 when we moved. The bike I ride mostly, is a middle quality bike, well USED, will not be a prime target for thieves.

Suggestion, be sure to carry tools and a spare tube. With all the construction around here, I've had more flats than I can recall, pre-villages.
I picked up a small manual air pump Amazon a a small bottle of Slime in a pinch works pretty good I carry in my bike pouch
Old 11-25-2022, 04:17 AM
Default Do like in the funny videos

Quote:
Thanks for any ideas.
Put a long chain on the bike so as the thief is fleeing he falls over the handle bars. Give us all a good laugh. Lots of videos how on YouTube.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

All Rec centers have bike racks....especially by the pools
Old 11-25-2022, 06:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I recommend 2 locks, 1 for the wheels to bike, 2nd one for the bike to tree or lamp post. I know Spanish Springs square doesn't have much to tie off on. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
https://www.bestproductsreviews.com/kryptonite-bike-lock?targetid=dsa-45522777241&matchtype=&device=m&campaignid=1865102 7245&creative=629354088703&adgroupid=149407653264& feeditemid=&loc_physical_ms=9011519&loc_interest_m s=&network=g&devicemodel=&placement=&keyword=$&tar get=&aceid=&adposition=&trackid=us_all_top_1_1&mId =407-132-4411&trackOld=true&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfybBhBKEiwAgtB7f gLC7_iPKk1j5LrqC5udI8QoaxdPbaJ00FAK7vsqBEx6a-d0QvbdIRoCjrUQAvD_BwE

Also a hidden Air Tag or Tile gps tracker
Air tags are very inexpensive and work great as a security tracker. I would suggest you remove the little speaker in the air tag. This way in the event that your bike or whatever you want to keep is stolen it will no longer beep when you try to locate it alerting the thief that you have a tracking device hidden somewhere, locate it and toss it out and continue on his way with your property. There are a few YouTube videos that show you how to remove the speaker. I have done this to my air tag it’s fairly easy. Without the speaker the air tag still functions the same with the exception of an audio signal.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:29 AM

I’d rather walk……
Old 11-25-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for any ideas.
Didn’t you think of that before the purchase? Time to make a decision by yourself and GO FOR IT!!
Closed Thread

Tags
bike, ideas, locking, chain, mechanism

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.