The Village Church At Spanish Springs...

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Default The Village Church At Spanish Springs...

I don't really understand if the "Village Church" at Spanish Springs is actually a church or an entertainment venue.

I've noticed that there is entertainment there on a regular basis, and of the type that wouldn't be permitted in any of the churches that I've attended over the years.

Could someone educate me on this place?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

It's predominantly an entertainment venue in the style of a church. It has great acoustics and is a wonderful music venue IMHO. There are church services there every Sunday, but they are not organized by a specific denomination and there is a different minister preaching every week. There are also some other religious meeting/lectures/events from time to time, but not affiliated always with the same church or denomination. The musical events are scheduled through the Villages Entertainment Dept, same folks who book the Squares, Savannah Center, and Katie Belles.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Bands is right as usual.

I believe but can't document it that the church was meant to be part of the "Spanish Town" whimsy constructed to delight our eyes. I do know that old Mr. Harold Schwartz funded and still funds posthumously part of the cost of some of the most wonderful classical music presentations my ears have ever heard.

When we first moved here I was quietly wondering why my dear friend who belonged to Temple Shalom was spending so much time at Church on the Square. It really honestly took me a long time to realize that it was the site of many wonderful musical presentations.

Bands is also correct that the acoustics enable sound to flow so beautifully to the very rapt and appreciative audiences that gather there for a very reasonable price.

There are services held on Sunday at noon as well, but the building doesn't truly belong to any church community.

The most beautiful sound that I have ever heard in my entire life was when we heard The Villages Voices sing at Church on the Square.

I will see if I can find a link. Please don't miss an opportunity to hear them, but please leave us a couple of seats.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Dancing Thyme

I also held a nondenominational memorial service there for my father when he passed away so that my village friends could attend along with my local family. I had Ralph and Dawn DiNome singing dad's favorite songs and a lovely pastor gave a very nice talk. It was a beautiful tribute in a beautiful atmosphere. I was extremely impressed with how lovely it was inside. We almost filled up the church with my friends. A great memory!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Kathie, I remember the truly beautiful memorial that you had for Daddy. It was a fitting tribute to a wonderful man.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
Kathie, I remember the truly beautiful memorial that you had for Daddy. It was a fitting tribute to a wonderful man.
Thanks Mac,,, and thanks for coming that day!! He was a sweet man and I miss him.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Thank-you all for the many answers.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

A few months ago there was an attempt to expand the Church on The Square and turn it into a Performing Arts Center-----it apparently didn't work out. The Village Voices! We try to make most of their concerts as they are fantastic and I have a H.S. friend who sings in the choir. The acoustics are great in The Church on The Square.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Sage
It's too bad this type of venue isn't being replicated in the other town squares. It not only provides for some excellent entertainment, but it also provides the small town ambiance.

The Church on the Square could accomodate the population in 2000, but not today.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
A few months ago there was an attempt to expand the Church on The Square and turn it into a Performing Arts Center-----it apparently didn't work out. The Village Voices! We try to make most of their concerts as they are fantastic and I have a H.S. friend who sings in the choir. The acoustics are great in The Church on The Square.
Found this thread about The Morses offer to expand the church.

Here is the Mark Morse Letter regarding the Proposed Performing Arts Center

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.