Where will the resources come from to staff all the new businesses in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default Where will the resources come from to staff all the new businesses in TV?

At it's current level it is very difficult for retail/commercial/restaurants/service companies to get sufficient people to staff the businesses that serve the needs of residents of TV. Now add all the future businesses as TV continues it's expansion South.

There is not sufficient affordable housing. There is a limit to how far folks are willing to drive to get here to work.

One of the negative side effects is compromised selectivity when looking for the best of the best.
Another is that businesses ability to replace currently unacceptable performing employees.

More and more job opportunities to come....insufficient work force to fill the current jobs.

How to attract and maintain "good" help!?!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Couldn't agree more. Look at the rents on apartments in the area then look at what the workers get paid. It's only going to get worse and only so many older people want to get back in the job market! Affordable housing is definitely needed but who's going to build it.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage

Florida salaries have always been 40 yrs being what is paid in other areas of the country, an example a waiter @ a local restaurant was an EMT in OCALA, he left an $11.00 hr job to become a waiter here, people, we are surrounded by a lot of have-nots--its a shame- but we can not compare our six figure retirement incomes to locals who are still working
Old 08-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,505 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Florida salaries have always been 40 yrs being what is paid in other areas of the country, an example a waiter @ a local restaurant was an EMT in OCALA, he left an $11.00 hr job to become a waiter here, people, we are surrounded by a lot of have-nots--its a shame- but we can not compare our six figure retirement incomes to locals who are still working
I don't think many or most Villages have six figure incomes. I think that the market will drive the changes and attract people to live here and find homes in their price range just as it has done in the past couple of decades. The biggest problem with jobs here and in all of Florida is the higher need only part of the year that is high season and reduced need the rest of the time..

I think the work force in the future may well be all of the new people who have recently moved to the U.S.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Sumter county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state. If that is true why aren't all of the unemployed individuals accepting all of the newly created jobs?
Old 08-16-2019, 10:11 AM

There is not sufficient affordable housing. There is a limit to how far folks are willing to drive to get here to work.

More and more job opportunities to come....insufficient work force to fill the current jobs.
![/QUOTE]

Workforce housing will be built behind Lowes on 466A and on the Beaumont property next to Lowes. A good start, but more is needed.

There is a labor shortage in every industry, nationwide. The only answer is immigration. We need to develop a LEGAL way to bring in the people who want to work. Where else will we find the landscapers, the CNAs, the housekeepers, the waiters, and those who will take care of us, and also pay taxes into the system.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Who historically stepped in to fill jobs in an expanding economic sector? Immigrants and transferees.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

So the current unemployed US people will stay unemployed? That’s the other Half of that picture.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage

I'm willing to bet all the NYC retiree's ,here have six figure incomes-be it pensions alone, NJ school teacher's here have six figure pensions, California public employee's here definitely have six figure pensions + what they sold their houses for-- there are two worlds in the US=-- big cities on the east & west coast and the rest of us.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
So the current unemployed US people will stay unemployed? That’s the other Half of that picture.
Pretty much. With an unemployment rate around 3.6% anyone that wants a job has a job..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I'm pretty sure that Sumter county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state. If that is true why aren't all of the unemployed individuals accepting all of the newly created jobs?
Economics. If you're getting health care subsidies for yourself and your family, and you get a job paying only $7.60 an hour, you just incomed yourself out of health care and the buy-in costs more than the $7.60/hour you get paid.

Similarly, some jobs need you to work a minimum number of hours per week to justify the training and whatever benefits they offer (even if it's just a few sick days and holiday pay). If you're receiving Social Security, you are penalized if you go over a certain income, and that threshold is pretty low.

If you were earning $40/hour doing professional work and were forced out of your job due to company restructuring, would YOU be willing to accept a job paying $7.60/hour for 15 hours a week bagging groceries? Your unemployment checks would be higher than that.

Florida is known to have absolutely no respect for the minimum wage worker. They don't even require workers to get breaks, and federal law leaves it up to the states to decide about break times. Most jobs needing to be filled are minimum wage jobs.

On the other hand, there are people (like myself) who aren't eligible for social security yet, who would LOVE to work part time, but don't want to screw myself over with regards to health insurance. I can't afford the buy-in, with zero income. I also can't afford to be sick. So I have to rely on the ACA marketplace and subsidies. That means I can, absolutely positively work. But I have to be careful how many hours I work, and how much I get paid per hour, or it will cost me dearly for the privilege.

If companies paid for insurance, or heavily subsidized part-time employees for their comprehensive plans, it'd be different. But most don't do that.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage

Big difference between a job and a living wage, my wife's nephew is a union carpenter in NYC, he makes 20K month with OT
Old 08-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Pretty much. With an unemployment rate around 3.6% anyone that wants a job has a job..
The unemployment rate in Sumter and Citrus counties is over 5% plenty of people out there and plenty of jobs. I think you know the answer.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Economics. If you're getting health care subsidies for yourself and your family, and you get a job paying only $7.60 an hour, you just incomed yourself out of health care and the buy-in costs more than the $7.60/hour you get paid.

Similarly, some jobs need you to work a minimum number of hours per week to justify the training and whatever benefits they offer (even if it's just a few sick days and holiday pay). If you're receiving Social Security, you are penalized if you go over a certain income, and that threshold is pretty low.

If you were earning $40/hour doing professional work and were forced out of your job due to company restructuring, would YOU be willing to accept a job paying $7.60/hour for 15 hours a week bagging groceries? Your unemployment checks would be higher than that.

Florida is known to have absolutely no respect for the minimum wage worker. They don't even require workers to get breaks, and federal law leaves it up to the states to decide about break times. Most jobs needing to be filled are minimum wage jobs.

On the other hand, there are people (like myself) who aren't eligible for social security yet, who would LOVE to work part time, but don't want to screw myself over with regards to health insurance. I can't afford the buy-in, with zero income. I also can't afford to be sick. So I have to rely on the ACA marketplace and subsidies. That means I can, absolutely positively work. But I have to be careful how many hours I work, and how much I get paid per hour, or it will cost me dearly for the privilege.

If companies paid for insurance, or heavily subsidized part-time employees for their comprehensive plans, it'd be different. But most don't do that.
Hardee's starts at $10.00/hour, Target at $12.00/hour, I doubt there are any employers other than ma and pop shops that are still paying minimum wage in TV. There is nothing wrong with a healthy individual working two jobs to get ahead, 60 hours a week is not going to hurt and it's a heck of a lot better than sitting around the house doing nothing.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Big difference between a job and a living wage, my wife's nephew is a union carpenter in NYC, he makes 20K month with OT
Union carpenters who are continuously employed will do great, pretty much anywhere. Even if the pay is lower in a different area, it'll still be significantly higher compared to the cost of living in the lower-paying area.

Hubby's situation was similar. Not quite as good, on a much smaller scale, but the same type of thing. Union skilled tradesman at a journeyman level. All gone, 2 years too early for Social Security, 4 years before Medicare.

Stress level is through the roof until we sell our house up north. Once we get our mortgage and home equity line of credit brought to 0, we'll be fine. Between now and then, it's a daily dose of Xanax to prevent anxiety attacks.
Closed Thread

Tags
businesses, work, sufficient, current, staff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.