Where will the resources come from to staff all the new businesses in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
Agree, IF there is a will, a way can usually be figured out.
I always thought that where there is a will, there is usually a family to fight over it!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
You assume that everyone who is healthy is qualified to work one of the available jobs, AND that their expenses don't exceed that $12/hour job payment, (such as student loans for a degree) AND that health insurance is available for them at a reasonable cost without subsidies (since that income would disqualify them for ANY subsidies at all). You also assume that every one of these married couples has no children, or is in a $12/hour job that provides them with child-care for every hour they are out of work, or they maybe live with grandma who watches the kids til they get home, or are in school full time already and can get in and out of the house without their parents. You ALSO assume that working a $12/hour job is so simple that anyone who isn't a drug addict or lazy can do it.

In other words, you assume everyone fits your idea of "should work 60 hours and be married to someone who also works 60 hours, OR be lazy or a drug addict."

That's some entitled privileged horsepucky, to me.
I understand you very well however you don't understand me. enough said. I'm 73 and going to work now.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Sage

Forget the hourly wage--multiply it by 2000 for an annual wage $15.00 an hr = $30 K annually--its not a living wage anywhere, unless you can make more than that for your employer- on some of my projects I had 200 union electricians, the nut was close to $1million/ every month--if I didn't get paid-my employees did--or I would be sleeping with the fishes--hope this may explain some of my attitude here-you have no idea what its like to have millions of $$ in limbo
Old 08-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

For us retired in TV now, the rat race is OVER.

Last edited by Velvet; 08-17-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
You assume that everyone who is healthy is qualified to work one of the available jobs, AND that their expenses don't exceed that $12/hour job payment, (such as student loans for a degree) AND that health insurance is available for them at a reasonable cost without subsidies (since that income would disqualify them for ANY subsidies at all). You also assume that every one of these married couples has no children, or is in a $12/hour job that provides them with child-care for every hour they are out of work, or they maybe live with grandma who watches the kids til they get home, or are in school full time already and can get in and out of the house without their parents. You ALSO assume that working a $12/hour job is so simple that anyone who isn't a drug addict or lazy can do it.

In other words, you assume everyone fits your idea of "should work 60 hours and be married to someone who also works 60 hours, OR be lazy or a drug addict."

The way things are here. How people look at things. How most people do not care how much or how little other people have or don't have.

The price of things. What people get paid for labor, how much things cost generally is probably overall far less than the bills you are paying where you now live. I think you should wait and see before you try to restructure things here.

And maybe wait too to see just how well things do work here. We can also choose who are our friends, what clubs we enjoy, and what makes us happy.

I really do not think that what VintageOguage said was anywhere near "entitled horse plucky". I have read almost every post since he arrived. We have not agreed on all things. I think maybe his view of dogs is different than mine, but he seems to be a good, thinking, hardworking, law abiding fellow who it is easy to get along with.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The way things are here. How people look at things. How most people do not care how much or how little other people have or don't have.

The price of things. What people get paid for labor, how much things cost generally is probably overall far less than the bills you are paying where you now live. I think you should wait and see before you try to restructure things here.

And maybe wait too to see just how well things do work here. We can also choose who are our friends, what clubs we enjoy, and what makes us happy.

I really do not think that what VintageOguage said was anywhere near "entitled horse plucky". I have read almost every post since he arrived. We have not agreed on all things. I think maybe his view of dogs is different than mine, but he seems to be a good, thinking, hardworking, law abiding fellow who it is easy to get along with.
You are sooooo right Gracie and sweet too, it's a Hudson thing.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I'm willing to bet all the NYC retiree's ,here have six figure incomes-be it pensions alone, NJ school teacher's here have six figure pensions, California public employee's here definitely have six figure pensions + what they sold their houses for-- there are two worlds in the US=-- big cities on the east & west coast and the rest of us.
I'm willing to bet...that you are incorrect.

Do you have any proof that teachers from anywhere, or public employees (except MAYBE a few who had obscene amounts of OT count toward their pensions)...are collecting 6 figure pensions?

Will be waiting patiently for that proof.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

The topic was "where will the resources come from?" Where will the people who need to fill the jobs for all these new stores come from?

Some folks here seem to think that these stores can easily get plenty of employees, except the potential employees are too lazy or on drugs to work for lower income levels.

I say that isn't necessarily true, and that this assumption displays an attitude of entitlement and privilege.

So far I haven't seen any posts in this thread to convince me otherwise.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Union carpenters who are continuously employed will do great, pretty much anywhere. Even if the pay is lower in a different area, it'll still be significantly higher compared to the cost of living in the lower-paying area.

Hubby's situation was similar. Not quite as good, on a much smaller scale, but the same type of thing. Union skilled tradesman at a journeyman level. All gone, 2 years too early for Social Security, 4 years before Medicare.

Stress level is through the roof until we sell our house up north. Once we get our mortgage and home equity line of credit brought to 0, we'll be fine. Between now and then, it's a daily dose of Xanax to prevent anxiety attacks.
Try to find another way to calm yourself. Xanax is considered highly addictive.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I'm prescribed 1/4mg 3x per day. Each 1/4mg is a single pill. So I can take up to 3 pills per day, as needed.

I take half of one pill, once a day, during especially stressful times. When my grandmother died, I was taking 2 halves per day, for a couple of weeks.

When I lost one of my jobs, I took half of one pill per day, for three weeks.

When my husband lost his job, I took half of one pill per day for three days.

This is not a problem. No need to worry, I've been on the stress rollercoaster before and my licensed physician monitors my use.

In the past 5 years, I have had 9 refills - of 40 pills each.

Thanks for your concern though. EDITED TO ADD: I MEAN THAT SINCERELY. THANK YOU FOR THE CONCERN. But this has zilch zero nada to do with the topic.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
That's why God created vodka.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Forget the hourly wage--multiply it by 2000 for an annual wage $15.00 an hr = $30 K annually--its not a living wage anywhere, unless you can make more than that for your employer- on some of my projects I had 200 union electricians, the nut was close to $1million/ every month--if I didn't get paid-my employees did--or I would be sleeping with the fishes--hope this may explain some of my attitude here-you have no idea what its like to have millions of $$ in limbo
Explains a lot for sure
Old 08-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:

........In other words, you assume everyone fits your idea of "should work 60 hours and be married to someone who also works 60 hours, OR be lazy or a drug addict."

Aw come on Jazuela.....you have to admit there are those that do fit into the "lazy or a drug addict" category. You know they are out there.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
, --its a shame- but we can not compare our six figure retirement incomes to locals who are still working
LMAO That must include the 2 decimal points for many of us.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Aw come on Jazuela.....you have to admit there are those that do fit into the "lazy or a drug addict" category. You know they are out there.
Yes but as someone who DOES have to work, who has worked consistently for over 40 years, have worked sometimes 3 jobs both to make ends meet and to feel productive, who was planning on retiring before she turned 60, who now is forced to accept that this can't happen, I get offended when someone IMPLIES that the only people who choose not to work entry level jobs are either drug addicts or lazy. I shouldn't have to accept an entry level job. And if circumstances weren't such that my spouses' company eliminated his department and put him out of work 2 years before eligibility for social security, I would be among those people who choose not to accept entry level positions.

I am neither lazy nor drug addicted, I never have been. Turning this into a personal attack on me and my character is insulting, and I resent it.

The topic is: where will the resources come from, to staff all the new businesses in TV?

It's a good question, and I feel part of the reason it will be a problem, is because Florida underpays its entry level employees, and many employers on the corporate HR-decision-making level are completely oblivious to the issues regarding gainful employment, health insurance, the overall cost of living, and quality of life. Either that, or they just don't care. The cost of working can exceed the paycheck, when you have to pay for your health care.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 08-16-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
businesses, work, sufficient, current, staff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.