Where you can and can’t ride a bicycle in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Default Where you can and can’t ride a bicycle in The Villages

So I’m getting a new bicycle as I’ve been to dependent on the Golf Cart and could use the exercise.

My question is I know where golf carts are allowed and not allowed but not so sure about a bicycle.

For example can you go on all roads including 466, 466A, 441, Buena Vista, Morse, roundabouts? Are you allowed on all multi use paths including bridges and tunnels.

Before I get myself into trouble I would like to be informed any input is appreciated.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
So I’m getting a new bicycle as I’ve been to dependent on the Golf Cart and could use the exercise.

My question is I know where golf carts are allowed and not allowed but not so sure about a bicycle.

For example can you go on all roads including 466, 466A, 441, Buena Vista, Morse, roundabouts? Are you allowed on all multi use paths including bridges and tunnels.

Before I get myself into trouble I would like to be informed any input is appreciated.

You are all good on these locations.

But, 466, 466a & 441 might be a deathwish.

Even BV & Morse is scary.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Just back from going Gilchrist<>Rohan on Morse south to Rt44.

For the THIRD time in the last couple months, I saw this guy riding on one of those long eliptical bikes - where the rider stands and pumps up<>down to get the bike going. That's all fine & good - probably great exercise. BUT - he was ON MORSE BLVD in the right-hand lane. Same as the other 2 times I saw him riding. Have to believe that bike can go no faster than 15mph on level ground.

Why not ride on the MM paths? I'm afraid one of these days ---slam...
Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage

I go anywhere I want to go on my bike, and I use the MMP's whenever I can. I know some prefer the roads. And possibly with groups I might agree. But when I bike alone, I feel much more in control of my own safety on the MMP.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

But as the cyclist said to St. Peter......"but according to the laws in Florida I was permitted to drive on the highway".

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Thanks folks, I plan to use MMP as much as possible.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post

REPLY ????
Hi, we ride bikes, we understand this:
1. You can ride on any Multi-Modal path and tunnels, on the sidewalks is legal but be sure to be very careful and be very slow and be very courteous of walkers. If I see walkers, then I stay off that sidewalk.
2. We avoid riding in traffic circles, always.
3. When riding, be sure to have a good rear view mirror, always, when it is clear, motion riders from behind to go, and then move over and slow down and stop pedaling. A lot of drivers do appreciate that, some do not, so be careful. !!
4. Have good front and rear flashing lights and use them, always
5. Never, never, go in front of a stopped car, wait and go around them at the rear! Why? If they stop for you in a crosswalk, then if you go and if they get rear ended,,,,,,,,,,,, again, if they get rear ended??? Think carefully on this, you do not want that car to be rear ended and then to get you also!!!
6. Are you aware of the multitude of Happy Hours, and hours?
7. Do not ever think the car driver is going to do the right thing. GOOD LUCK.
8. Be very careful and do not take chances, you have a lot of nice bike riding to enjoy.
9. In parking lots, be aware of car doors swinging open, be aware, some drivers, to not like bicycles, you do not know who they are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck.
10. At stops, near roads, I always stay back about 15 feet and motion cars coming from right or left to go, give them a wave, to keep going. Otherwise they may stop and get rear ended, you do not want to be there, if it happens..

Old 03-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnwy123 View Post
REPLY ????
Hi, we ride bikes, we understand this:
1. You can ride on any Multi-Modal path and tunnels, on the sidewalks is legal but be sure to be very careful and be very slow and be very courteous of walkers. If I see walkers, then I stay off that sidewalk.
2. We avoid riding in traffic circles, always.
3. When riding, be sure to have a good rear view mirror, always, when it is clear, motion riders from behind to go, and then move over and slow down and stop pedaling. A lot of drivers do appreciate that, some do not, so be careful. !!
4. Have good front and rear flashing lights and use them, always
5. Never, never, go in front of a stopped car, wait and go around them at the rear! Why? If they stop for you in a crosswalk, then if you go and if they get rear ended,,,,,,,,,,,, again, if they get rear ended??? Think carefully on this, you do not want that car to be rear ended and then to get you also!!!
6. Are you aware of the multitude of Happy Hours, and hours?
7. Do not ever think the car driver is going to do the right thing. GOOD LUCK.
8. Be very careful and do not take chances, you have a lot of nice bike riding to enjoy.
9. In parking lots, be aware of car doors swinging open, be aware, some drivers, to not like bicycles, you do not know who they are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck.
10. At stops, near roads, I always stay back about 15 feet and motion cars coming from right or left to go, give them a wave, to keep going. Otherwise they may stop and get rear ended, you do not want to be there, if it happens..

I like your attitude and the way you state you ride. When I am driving I try and give the bicyclists as much room as I can, and as you stated some drivers do not like bicyclists.

The one thing you did not state but implied is that a bike rider must obey all of the same traffic laws as a car, stop at stop signs, yield at yield signs, etc. I have had to dodge way too many bike riders that enter roundabouts when I am already in the round about, or blow a stop sign in front of me, fortunately my reactions are still fairly good.
Please continue to be safe.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

I tend to use the MMPs whenever possible, never had a problem. Just never feel totally comfortable by myself riding on the roads.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

I limit the use of driving my car nowadays here. Too many people - Too much traffic - too many people have limited eyesight and hearing. You want to ride a bike , go for it. You have every right to your lane ane three feet clearance. Let me know how I can befriend so I have a shot at being a beneficiary. I'll even pay for the policy.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
...Let me know how I can befriend so I have a shot at being a beneficiary. I'll even pay for the policy.
That's why I ride on the MMP's.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I limit the use of driving my car nowadays here. Too many people - Too much traffic - too many people have limited eyesight and hearing. You want to ride a bike , go for it. You have every right to your lane ane three feet clearance. Let me know how I can befriend so I have a shot at being a beneficiary. I'll even pay for the policy.
Do you ride a golf cart or automobile? More people have died in golf carts than in any other mode of transport in The Villages except automobiles. The only walker killed in The Villages was killed by a golf cart. Over 20 people have died in golf cart accidents over the last twelve years. If you want to be a beneficiary to a life insurance policy go for a golf cart or car insurance plan as your chances are better for cashing in. Perceived danger is not the same thing as actual danger.

Last edited by Happydaz; 03-09-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

Stay off of the cart paths on all the golf courses. Only individuals currently checked in with the starter and playing are permitted there.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Do you ride a golf cart or automobile? More people have died in golf carts than in any other mode of transport in The Villages except automobiles. The only walker killed in The Villages was killed by a golf cart. Over 20 people have died in golf cart accidents over the last twelve years. If you want to be a beneficiary to a life insurance policy go for a golf cart or car insurance plan as your chances are better for cashing in. Perceived danger is not the same thing as actual danger.
Walker was not walking on sidewalk provided, they were walking three abreast with one in street and walking with traffic.

How many of those 20 was making left hand turn from the diamond lane? How many was passages and got throw out by drunk or irresponsible driver? How many was in diamond lane and walker was walking with flow traffic in blind spot and cart pulled out in traffic and got hit. Seems to me the key domination is somebody was doing something wrong or careless? How can we control that? We can’t

Last edited by Topspinmo; 03-12-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Nice try - there is a formal name for your statistical analogy. It is called Simpson's Paradox.
Closed Thread

Tags
bicycle, allowed, including, golf, morse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.