Where's the chlorine?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2020, 09:12 AM
Default Where's the chlorine?

Before the pools were closed, I swam at Spanish Moss. It was always enjoyable to get to the pool & encounter the smell of chlorine; it brought back some great childhood memories.

After the pools re-opened, I started swimming Everglades but never smelled the chlorine. Thinking they didn’t add enough chlorine and it might not be clean water, I went back to Spanish Moss. No chlorine smell there!

Does anyone know if the pools are missing chlorine? Are the facilities people adding a different type of bleach/cleanser to sanitize the water? thanks
Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

I certainly hope so
Old 05-27-2020, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Before the pools were closed, I swam at Spanish Moss. It was always enjoyable to get to the pool & encounter the smell of chlorine; it brought back some great childhood memories.

After the pools re-opened, I started swimming Everglades but never smelled the chlorine. Thinking they didn’t add enough chlorine and it might not be clean water, I went back to Spanish Moss. No chlorine smell there!

Does anyone know if the pools are missing chlorine? Are the facilities people adding a different type of bleach/cleanser to sanitize the water? thanks
Not sure which pools in TV are salt water or if/when they changed but:

Saltwater pools use salt to generate chlorine, but do so in a way that does not irritate your eyes, dry out your skin or smell
Old 05-27-2020, 09:22 AM

We use Bromide in our hot tub. It is easier on my skin.

It's more expensive than chlorine, though. Doesn't matter in a little hot tub, but pool after Villages pool ~ Don't know if that would work.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Not sure which pools in TV are salt water or if/when they changed but:

Saltwater pools use salt to generate chlorine, but do so in a way that does not irritate your eyes, dry out your skin or smell
The Villages pools are not saltwater
Old 05-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The Villages pools are not saltwater
That's why I said not sure, perhaps they are using chemicals like bromide.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

A saltwater pool uses a salt chlorine generator.

This means that instead of adding chlorine to the pool water, you add salt, and the generator converts it to a form of chlorine to disinfect the water. It’s called a saltwater pool due to adding salt to the chlorine generator water at a level high enough to allow the machine to function.

Primary advantages of a saltwater pool:

Clear, smooth water
Lower annual cost
No chlorine smell
Gentle on skin and eyes

What is a Saltwater Pool? Chemistry, Lifespan, Cost, & More

Last edited by Altavia; 05-27-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

It sounds like you’re going to have to ask at the rec center.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

In the Sanibel pool I frequent I don't think they use Chlorine. But, you can be sure that TV is using something in the water to kill bacteria.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Without all the group aerobics and water volleyball the sports pools have never been cleaner. They don’t have to super chlorinate the pools with just lap swimming and light water walker use.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:

If you REALLY want to know....

District Property Management
The District Property Management Department is responsible for upholding the aesthetic, physical and environmental assets of the District by maintaining the District’s physical assets and infrastructure.
Sam Wartinbee, Director
sam.wartinbee@districtgov.org
Old 05-27-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Without all the group aerobics and water volleyball the sports pools have never been cleaner. They don’t have to super chlorinate the pools with just lap swimming and light water walker use.
The amount of ph and chlorine levels should not vary by the number of users or their activities. A good chlorine level is between 1.0 and 4.0 parts per million (ppm), while the pH should be between 7.2 and 7.8. Together, they keep bad bacteria at bay: If pH goes up too high, chlorine's germ-killing power deflates. These levels should be tested everyday with a small chemical kit.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

You could always buy some test strips and test the water yourself.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're NOT smelling chlorine, you're smelling chloramines (BAD). A properly sanitized pool has no smell.

"Pool smell is due, not to chlorine, but to chloramines, chemical compounds that build up in pool water when it is improperly treated.

Chloramines result from the combination of two ingredients: (a) chlorine disinfectants and (b) perspiration, oils and urine that enter pools on the bodies of swimmers. Chlorine disinfectants are added to pool water to destroy germs that can give swimmers diarrhea, ear aches and athlete's foot. Perspiration, oils and urine, however, are unwanted additions to pool water. By showering before entering the pool, and washing these substances from the skin, swimmers can help minimize pool smell."

Chloramines: Understanding “Pool Smell”

Here's info on how chlorine is produced in "saltwater pools".

The Definitive Guide to Salt Chlorine Generators
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by B767drvr; 05-27-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
A saltwater pool uses a salt chlorine generator.

This means that instead of adding chlorine to the pool water, you add salt, and the generator converts it to a form of chlorine to disinfect the water. It’s called a saltwater pool due to adding salt to the chlorine generator water at a level high enough to allow the machine to function.

Primary advantages of a saltwater pool:

Clear, smooth water
Lower annual cost
No chlorine smell
Gentle on skin and eyes

What is a Saltwater Pool? Chemistry, Lifespan, Cost, & More
We used UV system, very little chemical used. Little chlorine back up, acid. Very low maintenance, have pool 5 years
Closed Thread

Tags
chlorine, pools, smell, spanish, moss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.