Where's the chlorine?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We have a chlorine pool. T&D tests the water and cleans the pool weekly. There is no chlorine smell.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The Villages pools are not saltwater
What ever The Villages uses to filter their pool water, the water does not ruin my bathing suits or burn my eyes or dry out my skin or take the coloring out of my hair. Chlorine does all three of those things. Yikes!!! I'm glad The Villages employs some other kind of system besides adding chlorine to the pool water to keep their water filtered and crystal clear clean.

I have read on this forum that The Villages pools are salt water which turns the salt into chlorine to sanitize and filter the water. If this is true, there is no odor of chlorine and the harmful effects that chlorine causes.

Now.....cruise ships hot tubs will ruin my bathing suit in about two weeks flat due to the chlorine in the water. I still use their hot tubs but never take a good bathing suit with me.

I have been using The Villages pools since 2013 and have never detected the smell of chlorine. The pools I have used are Duval neighborhood pool, Seabreeze sports pool, Colony sports pool and Lake Miona sports pool. I can not speak to any other pools in The Villages as I have not been in them.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:56 PM
Sage

For goodness sakes, there are 90+ pools in TV. They were built over a long time. Do you really think that everyone of them has the same chlorine-generation system installed. I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Yet most posters seem to imply that they are all the same.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Not sure which pools in TV are salt water or if/when they changed but:

Saltwater pools use salt to generate chlorine, but do so in a way that does not irritate your eyes, dry out your skin or smell

I think the all use the salt? It’s not as strong as old chlorinated pools when we were younger.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:54 AM

TV pools are salt water
Old 05-28-2020, 05:03 AM
Default Chlorine Pools

At the Resident Academy that I attended last year, when asked, John Rohan said that all pools in The Villages are chlorine pools. I have never smelled chlorine at any of The Villages pools, so they must be doing it right (no surprise).
Old 05-28-2020, 05:59 AM

The pools in Feney are most definitely salt water pools.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:20 AM

When I had my pool, I was told that if you smelled chlorine, it meant that your pool was losing it. I had chlorine in first pool and changed to Frog system in second (in ground) pool. Very expensive but saved on eye burning and bathing suits fading. Less maintenance also.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 AM
Default Chlorine

If you can smell chlorine that usually means there's too much chlorine in the pool.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskra View Post
At the Resident Academy that I attended last year, when asked, John Rohan said that all pools in The Villages are chlorine pools. I have never smelled chlorine at any of The Villages pools, so they must be doing it right (no surprise).
Thank you, if anyone would know it is John Rohan!!!!!
Old 05-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cparker View Post
The pools in Feney are most definitely salt water pools.
???
Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 AM

chlorine has to have a MAJOR leak plan and OK'D by the county. So they are using hypochlorite. Same Chemical but safer if leaked. Sewage plants use it. They also put salt into the water you don't taste it or smell with a oxidizer . Nature does the rest
Old 05-28-2020, 08:05 AM

Go to Districtgov.org and email or call the Recreation Dept. and ask. Get the real scoop. The info may already be on this website.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Before the pools were closed, I swam at Spanish Moss. It was always enjoyable to get to the pool & encounter the smell of chlorine; it brought back some great childhood memories.

After the pools re-opened, I started swimming Everglades but never smelled the chlorine. Thinking they didn’t add enough chlorine and it might not be clean water, I went back to Spanish Moss. No chlorine smell there!

Does anyone know if the pools are missing chlorine? Are the facilities people adding a different type of bleach/cleanser to sanitize the water? thanks

There is NO odor to a well-managed pool. When pool water smells, THAT means there's not enough chlorine in swimming pool water. Chloramines, which produce that "pool smell", result from the combination of two ingredients: (a) chlorine and (b) perspiration, oils and urine that enter pools. Chlorine is added to pool water to destroy germs that can give swimmers diarrhea, ear aches and athlete's foot. Perspiration, oils and urine are unwanted additions to pool water. By showering before entering the pool, and washing these substances from your skin, you can help minimize pool smell.

Here's how to judge if you should enter a pool:

1. Does the pool water look clear and blue? You should be able to see through the water down to the drain or stripes painted on the floor of the pool. If the water is cloudy and colored, there may be algae in it. DON'T GO IN!
2. Does the pool wall around the water line feel slimy? If it does, there are probably germs living on the wall. DON'T GO IN!
3. Is there a strong chemical odor around the pool? If there is, the pool manager may have to treat the water. DON'T GO IN!
4. The sound of pool-cleaning equipment (a pump) is a good sign!
Old 05-28-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The Villages pools are not saltwater
The one in Pinellas is. You can see the saline mix tank when walking around outside the perimeter of the pool, along side the heaters.
Closed Thread

Tags
chlorine, pools, smell, spanish, moss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.