Whirlpool Appliances?

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Default Whirlpool Appliances?

Is anyone having problems with the new whirlpool appliances? What do you think of service from Field's in Orlando?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 AM

I retired from Whirlpool Corp. approx. 8 yrs. ago after 21 yrs. in management. Therefore, I am not familiar with the current lineup. I can say that Whirlpool is the largest appliance manufacturer in the world and has always produced one of the finest and most respected lines on the market.

As for Field's I am not personally knowledgeable of their business. However, I suspect they are a self-servicing dealer. This means as part of their sales agreement they are allowed to provide in-home service on the appliances they sell. The purpose of which is to establish and maintain a good relationship with the local clientèle. Their staff and service personnel would have no connection with Whirlpool. This has become the established norm and most manufacturer's no longer provide "factory service" with company employees.

If you have a concern or problem you need to direct your demands to the proper place. Good luck and please don't shoot the messenger.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Thank You for the information. We are concerned because, we closed on Feb. 17th of this year. Right now, I am waiting for a tech from Field's to come back with a new icemaker for the upgraded stainless steel refrig. in my new designer home. Also a part for the microwave, it won't work at all, we were getting an error message, that was also an upgrade. The part for the microwave may be here on Wed., the part for icemaker, has to be ordered and they do not know how long.
We had Amana, and Kitchenaid at home, and never had a problem in 7 years.
I questioned the tech., he explaination, anything can happen. I just hope two broken appliances in 3 months, these are brand new, is not the norm.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:55 PM

FYI, Whirlpool has owned Kitchenaid for about 25 years, and Amana for 5 or 6 years. Historically, Whirlpool-made products have had better reliability than others. But, with so many parts coming from new lower cost suppliers based in Asia, it may be that quality has regressed. I hope not.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Just say a prayer of thanks that you bought after they were using GE appliances. I wouldn't give you a nickle for all of our GE appliances, piled in a heap. We became on a first name basis with one of the repairmen and it continues.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:56 PM

My wife and I are coming down to order a designer home in July. In general do most people go with the appliance package offered by the builder or do they purchase their own?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmajer View Post
My wife and I are coming down to order a designer home in July. In general do most people go with the appliance package offered by the builder or do they purchase their own?
We are closing on a designer home in St. James on July 26th. We decided to not to upgrade any of our appliances and instead order them on our own. I ended up getting the brand of appliances I wanted and for $2500 less than the upgrade price. I also have someone buying the appliances that the builder is putting in (Refrig.-Microwave-Range and Dishwasher). I ordered all of the appliances where I live now (VA) and they are being delivered the day after closing from their store in Ocala.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Good for you, as I write, the whirlpool appliance repairman, is here fixing the 4 month old ice maker in my upgraded refrig (Whirlpool Gold). The serviceman,
is very knowledgeable, and on time for appt.. But this is the 4th visit, between the microwave and the icemaker. They had to order parts, return with parts, part was broken when he opened the box the last time, finally he is putting in the part. Not his fault, I think the product is just not that good. I would recommend after this experience, take the cheapest, sell them, and order the exact brand you want.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default so if you sell...

the lesser appliances.... is there a market for them....I mean....so many in TV already have appliances they like....would the market be the surrounding area like Wildwood?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Just say a prayer of thanks that you bought after they were using GE appliances. I wouldn't give you a nickle for all of our GE appliances, piled in a heap. We became on a first name basis with one of the repairmen and it continues.
I was never a fan of GE appliances. Ten years ago we bought a spec home with GE appliances. Much to my surprise, and satisfaction, we have never had a problem with them. However, based on the experience of friends and neighbors with GE appliances, when it comes time for replacements I will not choose GE.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Whirlpool actually owns Electrolux appliances, so I don't think you could go wrong with a Whirlpool selection. Whirlpool seems to get very positive user reviews as well as test reviews from Consumer Reports. A few years ago my wife and I did a complete kitchen remodel and we purchased Electrolux appliances They were the most expensive appliances we looked at and although they have worked flawlessly, I would think twice about paying the premium for the "Electrolux" name and would probably go with a Whirlpool next time. In the end, I suggest the best thing you can do is research, research and research. Best of luck!

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Actually, Electrolux is one company that Whirlpool doesn't own. They are the second largest appliance company in the world, behind Whirlpool. They use the Electrolux brand (and a few others) in Europe, but mostly use the Frigidaire name for products that they manufacture in the U.S. No company is perfect, but I do think that Whirlpool-made products (including Kitchenaid, Maytag, Amana, Jenn Aire, and a few other names) tend to be as good as any and better than most competitors. Consumer Reports has generally rated Whirlpool products near the top, particularly in frequency of repair.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by natickdan View Post
I don't think you could go wrong with a Whirlpool selection. Whirlpool seems to get very positive user reviews as well as test reviews from Consumer Reports. In the end, I suggest the best thing you can do is research, research and research. Best of luck!

FWIW - I've owned a Whirlpool refrigerator and stove for 25 years and they both work. One repair on the stove.

Three months ago,I did some research on appliances as I was thinking of upgrading before selling. If I remember correctly, Whirlpool was rated pretty good for their price range and value. JMO
Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM

We went with the basic "free" ones they give you and then bought what WE wanted.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Veteran member

I used to repair appliances and buy parts for repairs through H D Supply Solutions most of the time less than other suppliers and the repairs for the most part are easy. Get exploded views of your appliance and do it yourself.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.