Whirlpool appliances & warranties

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Default Whirlpool appliances & warranties

Hi everyone -
We are official Villagers, and just closed Monday on our new home in Fernandina. In-between unpacking, we've been dealing with completing surveys, maintaining all the paperwork, dealing w/solicitors coming to the door, etc. I just encountered an appliance problem, and decided to start a new thread from the one posted May 23rd.

It's very confusing, but Villagers are offered a 2-year warranty on builder-installed appliances, which is an extra year beyond the standard 1-yr. warranty. However, you must request it by giving the "secret code" when calling Whirlpool before your first year is up. This code is given to you at the builder walk-through.

After running the *brand-new* dishwasher for the second time yesterday, I noticed a water leak coming from underneath. I called Whirlpool warranty and they were going to send someone out today + verify the appt. last night. After no verification, I called TV Warranty dept., and they sent the installer out. He guessed the hose leaked after being heated and said Whirlpool needs to look at it.

Then the certified Whirlpool technician arrived. He informed us it needed a new pump assembly, and the part would arrive NEXT WEEK! I said I want a new dishwasher, and he told me he'd be out a job! (More on that later.) I told him that is unacceptable, because I have glasses + dishes all over that need to be washed and put away. He knew I was upset (duh!), and left as I called TV Warranty dept. again.

I insisted I wanted a new d/w TODAY. The tech said he'd have to drive 1/2 hr. to get one, and I said that was great! The dispatcher was supposed to call before he came, because we had to wait to pick up Paul's car. Sure enough, we were out and the tech was at our house with the new d/w. So, we headed back home and he installed it. He told us the Whirlpool tech's get paid per warranty call! I asked if this means all W/P appliances are defective, and he didn't answer. Ironically, as the TV tech was leaving, the W/P tech was at our neighbors' house.

Another interesting fact is that the TV tech said the W/P tech would have called the TV Warranty dept. and ordered us a new d/w for today anyway. What??? How could we have possibly known this? We got caught up in the maze of warranties, and I never would have insisted on this if we weren't surrounded by boxes, dishes, glasses, etc.

Have any other new Villagers encountered recent problems like this with their builder-installed appliances? And are there any words of wisdom re: the TV and Whirlpool warranty depts.? Please reassure me things will get better!

Gail
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.