White cross on lawn in letters to the editor

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default White cross on lawn in letters to the editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I take that to mean you ALWAYS come to a COMPLETE stop at that red octagonal sign when you are riding????

Actually that's a good example (but not in the way you meant it to be). By not stopping you ARE breaking the law and just like the deed restrictions eventually you COULD get caught. Also Like the deed restrictions you may get away with it forever. My golf cart can go 29mph. When I "speed" eventually I'll get caught but it's my choice to take the chance.

When one buys here you (should) know what you are signing up for. These types of DR's exist all over the world.

Also, these aren't the kind of laws that require "the constitutional right to face you accusers". I believe the USSC upheld deed restrictions many years ago.

If one is willing to challenge them, which is their right, they should also be willing to face the consequences if they lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
(i.e. violate)? I hope you are not suggestion that people start putting abandoned cars up on concrete blocks in their front yard. That would certainly bring a bit more diversity The Villages ;-)

It is already being done around the Villages by a couple of hamburger joints and one on the "outskirts" of downtown Brownwood, not to mention a few rotten boats swamped in Lake Sumter. But oh yes, that's the Developers "yard' so it is OK.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Sage

I believe the swamped boats are intentional - part of the nautical ambiance of Lake Sumter. I have always wondered where you buy that stuff - "www.decrepitboats.com" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
It is already being done around the Villages by a couple of hamburger joints and one on the "outskirts" of downtown Brownwood, not to mention a few rotten boats swamped in Lake Sumter. But oh yes, that's the Developers "yard' so it is OK.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Gold member
Default I totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I may be mistaken but I believe its a symbol for those who are Right to Lifers.

Frankly I don't care what anyone puts on their lawn as long as its not offensive or goes beyond the "spirit" of the deed restrictions.

What is more annoying are those, some on here, who pontificate about "reading the deed restrictions". I guess those are the same people that routinely obey the speed limit and never ever go one mile above it.
Off topic or on topic. I recall seeing a BOOK of traffic violations in NY. It was many years ago. I expect it is no longer printed. I recall you could be ticketed for a rock chip in your windshield. Look, you probably have one. The police have the good sense not to enforce this ticket-even in NY. I have a friend who got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign on a bicycle. I don't know about Fla but in NY you can be ticketed for having you car parked in the same spot for 24 hours straight. Parking your car facing the wrong way on the street is also a violation in NY. Probably in Fla as well.

Sometimes it is not a law but COMMON SENSE that should direct your behavior. SADLY hear as in real life some people either cannot see or refuse to see that they are ever WRONG.

For me, I too do the best I can. I do not object to activity by others that I think is ok for me. Re: someone else s yard, I've not seen a single truly bad yard. Truth be told, thanks to all the rain and the fact that I am doing my own fertilizers-my lawn is pretty darn fine. I have no plan on starting my lawn is greener than your lawn.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Probably about as often as you do and you signed up for the same rules as me ;-) And when you are driving, I am sure you also come to a complete stop at every stop sign and have never exceeded the speed limit, or jaywalked, or ... And the discussion was about the deed restrictions, of which I don't violate any. So, what's your point regarding the deed restrictions?
Now I'm confused.

Are you saying that deed restrictions should be followed to the exact letter of the sales documents, but traffic laws are optional????
Old 07-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Sage

I am sorry you are confused ;-). Please feel free to do whatever makes you happy as I won't report you to the CDD and I have nothing to do with traffic law enforcement so you are free, as far as I am concerned, to violate as many laws as you wish. As far as I am concerned, I follow the deed restrictions but violate traffic laws probably as frequently as the next guy (I admit that I have gone over the speed limit before, I will say my 3 Hail Marys). What's with the tangent to traffic laws?

Quote:
Now I'm confused.

Are you saying that deed restrictions should be followed to the exact letter of the sales documents, but traffic laws are optional????

Last edited by biker1; 07-20-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 PM
Gold member
Default What you say is no so

Quote:
It's quite reasonable to know what the "spirit" is. It's sorta like when you are on your Harley doing 75 in a 65 and the cop doesn't pull you over because you are driving just fine.

I suggest more people start stretching the deed restrictions. Bring a little diversity to TV in appearance.
I used to know a guy that regularly rode a motorcycle with no PLATES, LICENSE OR INSURANCE. The cops chose not to chase him because it would be dangerous for the cop, the rider and everyone else.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
I am sorry you are confused ;-). Please feel free to do whatever makes you happy as I won't report you to the CDD and I have nothing to do with traffic law enforcement so you are free, as far as I am concerned, to violate as many laws as you wish. As far as I am concerned, I follow the deed restrictions but violate traffic laws probably as frequently as the next guy.
Looks like I need to rephrase the question.

You stated "You signed up for a set of rules and should follow them. "

I asked if you felt the same way about stop signs while riding your bike.

Somewhere between the question and answer someone made a wrong turn and got off on a tangent.

then you state "As far as I am concerned, I follow the deed restrictions but violate traffic laws probably as frequently as the next guy."

So I'm still confused. Maybe some people follow the traffic laws but violate the deed restrictions as frequently as the next guy. What does that mean?????
Old 07-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Gold member
Default Not sure if you are serious

Quote:
I believe the swamped boats are intentional - part of the nautical ambiance of Lake Sumter. I have always wondered where you buy that stuff - "www.decrepitboats.com" ??
Look on Craiglist, there are always free boats.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I think that requiring complainers to give their names would lead more aggression among neighbors.
It's scary (to me) the way residents sometimes threaten the use of guns.

Thanks to the abuse of the 2nd, no one is safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Sage

There are a bunch of things you *should* do in life and when you don't there might be consequences. You *should* follow the traffic laws, and you effectively committed to them when you obtained a driver's license, but many don't and when they get caught there is often a monetary penalty. You signed up for deed restrictions and you *should* follow them but many don't and when they get caught they need to fix the problem or there will be a monetary penalty.

What you *should* do and what you actually do are often two different things. I have no control over what you or others do and unless you put a car up on concrete blocks in my neighborhood I probably don't care. I can only point out what you signed up for, and it appears that many people have no idea what they signed up for with the deed restrictions. Also, trying to discuss deed restrictions and traffic laws in the same sentence is sort of silly since one falls under criminal law and the other is strictly civil. I think that is enough philosophy for the day, don't you?

Quote:
Looks like I need to rephrase the question.

You stated "You signed up for a set of rules and should follow them. "

I asked if you felt the same way about stop signs while riding your bike.

Somewhere between the question and answer someone made a wrong turn and got off on a tangent.

then you state "As far as I am concerned, I follow the deed restrictions but violate traffic laws probably as frequently as the next guy."

So I'm still confused. Maybe some people follow the traffic laws but violate the deed restrictions as frequently as the next guy. What does that mean?????

Last edited by biker1; 07-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
There are a bunch of things you *should* do in life and when you don't there might be consequences. You *should* follow the traffic laws, and you effectively committed to them when you obtained a driver's license, but many don't and when they get caught there is often a monetary penalty. You signed up for deed restrictions and you *should* follow them but many don't and when they get caught they need to fix the problem or there will be a monetary penalty.

What you *should* do and what you actually do are often two different things. I have no control over what you or others do and unless you put a car up on concrete blocks in my neighborhood I probably don't care. I can only point out what you signed up for, and it appears that many people have no idea what they signed up for with the deed restrictions. Also, trying to discuss deed restriction and traffic laws in the same sentence is sort of silly since one falls under criminal law and the other is strictly civil. I think that is enough philosophy for the day, don't you?
Quite agree

Happy biking
Old 07-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 384 Posts

Yes...let's just all agree I'm right and be done with it!!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Sage

That works for me!

Quote:
Yes...let's just all agree I'm right and be done with it!!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
I suggest more people start stretching the deed restrictions. Bring a little diversity to TV in appearance.
I think you're not serious -- just trying to stir the cauldron?
Closed Thread

Tags
white, cross, sculpture, religion, red

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.