White Water related deposits on fixtures (Calicum?)

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Sage

I had CPM, put a whole house GE whole house filter and an electronic descaler, so far no problems, no stains . water is A-OK--its been 9 years--I change the filter every 6 months
Old 09-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We have the Nova systems--whole house filter and water softener. I went with the potassium chloride rather than sodium because my husband didn't care for the slimy feel of the water of our last three water softeners (Michigan and Florida). I have found that while the sodium softeners did not cause any calcium deposit buildup, the potassium system does leave a little. It's not as bad as having no softener, but I wish I had gone with the sodium. We have brushed fixtures (stainless, chrome? Not sure), and I find I have to make sure to dry them off after every use.

I love the taste of the filtered water, however.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We have the Nova systems--whole house filter and water softener. I went with the potassium chloride rather than sodium because my husband didn't care for the slimy feel of the water of our last three water softeners (Michigan and Florida). I have found that while the sodium softeners did not cause any calcium deposit buildup, the potassium system does leave a little. It's not as bad as having no softener, but I wish I had gone with the sodium. We have brushed fixtures (stainless, chrome? Not sure), and I find I have to make sure to dry them off after every use.

I love the taste of the filtered water, however.
We have all bronze fixtures and there is no white buildup at all on them using the potassium for nearly 2 years, we use one bag every 7 or 8 weeks. Maybe there is an adjustment you can make to the unit, give them a call.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We have all bronze fixtures and there is no white buildup at all on them using the potassium for nearly 2 years, we use one bag every 7 or 8 weeks. Maybe there is an adjustment you can make to the unit, give them a call.
Duh. I thought it was just the difference in crystals. Will call, thanks.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
So will the filter alone stop them or do you need the softener also?
A simple Nova system will take care of all your water problems. Great system at a very fair price.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
So will the filter alone stop them or do you need the softener also?
We've had a whole house filter system for 8 years and it works great. I feel there is no need for a water softener. The filters are very inexpensive and can be had at any big market hardware store. Very easy to replace. It has reduced mineral deposits by about 90 percent.

Rollie
Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The water in The Villages is pretty good as compared with other water systems I have used. So, I don't think either a filter or a softener is needed. But, a softener is specifically designed to prevent calcium deposits. I don't understand why someone would want to filter all the water in the house. I also don't like the idea that water is sitting in these systems without circulating all the time. I have a concern that the water could become contaminated. I also know that some people will disagree with everything I said.
Maybe I'm way off here but doesn't water "sit" in your hot water heater" with all the crud buildup in it and only circulate when you use hot water? Not much different from siting in a water filter and cold water is used many times during the day that would flush it especially for FLUSHING! but tha's why it is a filter, no? I'd be more concerned getting sprayed by the poopy smelling irrigation water here then water from a filter.

Then you ask WHY? Ask my wife. We moved in here 2 1/2 yrs ago and the day she took her first shower she said the chlorine was going to kill her hair and skin and the water smelled like a swimming pool (slight hyperbole). We put in the whole house filter (how else can you remove chlorine from 2 showers?) and it made a 100% difference and she was happy! Thank heavens for that.

As for calcium, we weren't here long enough before putting in the filter to notice any but we have had absolute ZERO traces of calcium in 2 1/2 years including 2 years 3 months having the whole house filter (NO softener). Maybe Amelia has no calcium issues, but either way there is none. Oh, another plug for the Nova system.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:26 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Maybe I'm way off here but doesn't water "sit" in your hot water heater" with all the crud buildup in it and only circulate when you use hot water? Not much different from siting in a water filter and cold water is used many times during the day that would flush it especially for FLUSHING! but tha's why it is a filter, no? I'd be more concerned getting sprayed by the poopy smelling irrigation water here then water from a filter.

Then you ask WHY? Ask my wife. We moved in here 2 1/2 yrs ago and the day she took her first shower she said the chlorine was going to kill her hair and skin and the water smelled like a swimming pool (slight hyperbole). We put in the whole house filter (how else can you remove chlorine from 2 showers?) and it made a 100% difference and she was happy! Thank heavens for that.

As for calcium, we weren't here long enough before putting in the filter to notice any but we have had absolute ZERO traces of calcium in 2 1/2 years including 2 years 3 months having the whole house filter (NO softener). Maybe Amelia has no calcium issues, but either way there is none. Oh, another plug for the Nova system.
I guess it depends on where you live. We live in Fenney and the water definitely left calcium deposits on our fixtures. The Nova filters and softener did the trick, have not used CLR to remove that stuff since the Nova was installed. The on demand hot water system is after the Nova system so the water sitting in there is not building up crud. The irrigation water down here doesn't smell like poop, at least not on our street and I've been sprayed by it many times while adjusting my irrigations heads.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,419 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

I don't have a problem with water filters and softeners, if you like them. I just think that, for me, the tap water is fine and I have never had a whole house filter or softener. And, The Villages water is pretty good as compared with other tap water systems around the country. But, there have been studies that have shown that the water filter material can harbor bacteria, especially if they are not properly maintained. Just google it. Tap water that you drink should always have a certain amount of chlorine in it to be safe, according the the EPA. With regard to the water heater, I am not as concerned because you don't drink the hot water.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:20 PM

From all the kind neighbors that have replied here, my actions are as follows: 1) I will have a 3 filter Nova system installed when they can work me into their schedule. If needed, at sometime in the future, I may look into 2) installing a water softener, but that will be years down the road.

THANK YOU ALL - this is a great forum for sharing knowledge and experiences that saves both time and money (not to mention frustration).

Closed Thread

Tags
sink, fixtures, shower, stoppers, white

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.