Who to call about taking photo's on Golf Courses.

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get real View Post
So many "rules" for a public place.
All golf courses have rules.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:44 AM

Not saying you would ever do this, but last year I was playing with a man who brought his girlfriend (?) as a ride along. At one point, she got out of their cart, walked onto the fairway and tried arguing with me about the lie of my ball. Luckily this man saw the problem and shooed her back to the cart but it was an uncomfortable intrusion. People who don't play golf are often not aware of golf rules/etiquette, leading to big problems, thus the restrictions.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 09-18-2021, 07:06 AM

If not golfing stay off the courses.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I understand completely. Sadly, many people are very self centered and not very considerate of others. I ALWAYS try to be considerate of others when I am someplace they are supposed to be, while at the same time I try to be as "invisible" as possible. It comes from years doing candid street photography and weddings, where the idea is to record not to participate. (I am not always successful - LOL)

Think of how nice the world would be if people would just stop and think, how would I want someone in this situation to treat me, instead of thinking about what do I want. But, that is not life, that is just a fantasy...
Old 09-18-2021, 07:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,556 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I have walked around on a couple golf courses, trying to stay out of the way of anyone playing. And have been told I am not supposed to be on it unless playing golf.

That sounds reasonable.

I know I can walk along the road and photograph the courses if I want to. But, I can't always get the shot I want that way.

Is there someplace/someone I can call to find out about the rules concerning photographing on the courses? What I am thinking of is finding a friend that is going out to play a round and "riding along" with them. BUT. The golf course is private property (unlike the road) and so, it is up to the owners of the course whether or not I can take photo's there.

I have NO desire to take anyones photo's that does not want them taken. If you have seen some of my photo's from on the courses you will notice there is almost no way to recognize anyone that happens to be in the shot. If someone is close enough to recognize, I normally edit them out of the shot. If someone does want a photo, I don't mind taking it and providing it to them.

Suggestions?
Its private property with public access therefore you can take photos all you want of the course and anyone on it
Old 09-18-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I have walked around on a couple golf courses, trying to stay out of the way of anyone playing. And have been told I am not supposed to be on it unless playing golf.

That sounds reasonable.

I know I can walk along the road and photograph the courses if I want to. But, I can't always get the shot I want that way.

Is there someplace/someone I can call to find out about the rules concerning photographing on the courses? What I am thinking of is finding a friend that is going out to play a round and "riding along" with them. BUT. The golf course is private property (unlike the road) and so, it is up to the owners of the course whether or not I can take photo's there.

I have NO desire to take anyones photo's that does not want them taken. If you have seen some of my photo's from on the courses you will notice there is almost no way to recognize anyone that happens to be in the shot. If someone is close enough to recognize, I normally edit them out of the shot. If someone does want a photo, I don't mind taking it and providing it to them.

Suggestions?
Get a tee time.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The Championship golf courses are private owned businesses.

The Executives are owned by the Districts.

Neither are “public spaces” per se….
Old 09-18-2021, 08:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Its private property with public access therefore you can take photos all you want of the course and anyone on it
Legally, I know I can take photo's of anything and anyone as long as I am on public property at the time I take them. But, I am more interested in doing what is considerate of the people trying to enjoy the golf course.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
The Championship golf courses are private owned businesses.

The Executives are owned by the Districts.

Neither are “public spaces” per se….
Agreed. the golf courses are private and hence the reason for my question. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default strange....

Quote:
everyone who has the ability can know of all the rules here before they move. If you weren't aware many cities and towns have many ordinances most folks don't know about and many of those communities refuse to enforce many of them.

I prefer all the rules and enforcement of them.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Don't know why you would want to take photos of these courses, most of which are built on drainage-area landscape lined by houses. Better off going outside The Villages for more inspiring photos.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1 View Post
If not golfing stay off the courses.
If a spouse, child/grandchild wants to ride along and is quiet and respectful of the other players, what's the problem? It's a great way to introduce the young ones to the game...

It's allowed by the golf courses as long as they get a spectator pass...

Plus, they have to pay the $4 trail fee, which helps take care of the cart paths...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-18-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Agreed. the golf courses are private and hence the reason for my question. Thank you.
I commend you for your patience and consideration throughout this dialogue. You are the adult in the room. I'll bet there is not a PAR golfer or a below PAR shooter in the bunch and certainly no one whose income depends on golf. I would also bet there a lot more disruptive actors on the course (including some who have commented here) than someone being considerate of the golfers who makes every effort not to be seen or heard while making beautiful pictures for us all to enjoy when they are posted. That said, I think the smart move is to do a ride along being respectful of golf course rules (golf cart path, 90 degree rule, avoiding wet areas, and keeping appropriate distance from greens, etc), something many of the golfers themselves ignore. And I would also talk to the Golf Pro at the respective courses and let them know when you are going to do this. Unless there is a reason to do early morning, I'd suggest afternoon when the numbers are much less than in the morning wave. That way, you can get the pictures you want w/o "interfering" with people playing. Lastly, while in many instances "forgiveness is easier than permission" in this case I suggest "permission" is the better choice. Just talk to the PRO. I bet you can get permission and schedule a T Time that will meet both your needs and avoid the "keep off the course" . Enough said
Old 09-18-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
///
Old 09-18-2021, 09:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick010207 View Post
I commend you for your patience and consideration throughout this dialogue. You are the adult in the room. I'll bet there is not a PAR golfer or a below PAR shooter in the bunch and certainly no one whose income depends on golf. I would also bet there a lot more disruptive actors on the course (including some who have commented here) than someone being considerate of the golfers who makes every effort not to be seen or heard while making beautiful pictures for us all to enjoy when they are posted. That said, I think the smart move is to do a ride along being respectful of golf course rules (golf cart path, 90 degree rule, avoiding wet areas, and keeping appropriate distance from greens, etc), something many of the golfers themselves ignore. And I would also talk to the Golf Pro at the respective courses and let them know when you are going to do this. Unless there is a reason to do early morning, I'd suggest afternoon when the numbers are much less than in the morning wave. That way, you can get the pictures you want w/o "interfering" with people playing. Lastly, while in many instances "forgiveness is easier than permission" in this case I suggest "permission" is the better choice. Just talk to the PRO. I bet you can get permission and schedule a T Time that will meet both your needs and avoid the "keep off the course" . Enough said
Thank you for the kind words.

One take away I am finding from this thread is I should go take the "golfing course" offered so I am aware of all the rules.

My wife and I are planning to start golfing sometime (soon?) but the past year has been disruptive...
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, golf, photos, shot, road

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.