Who is getting a new roof?

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2020, 06:52 AM

I have St Johns insurance and my insurance went down $500 per year after I reported a new roof which they paid for?
Old 07-03-2020, 06:59 AM

scam
Old 07-03-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Yes, it's easy to find damage which is covered by insurance.

Yes, sometimes premiums go up after.

Yes, some companies take into account depreciation, some don't.

Yes, some are scams

Yes, there are some warranty issues.

Morgan & Morgan...............Nope. $8,000 roof, less deductible, less their fee of $2,500, less their inspection fee of $500.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Default Faulty materials

If you live in the Pine Hills/Pine Ridge area and have a newer house there could be a problem with a contractor using faulty roofing material. Its a known problem with The Villages warranty department and replacement is covered under warranty. Call them with your lot number and they will tell you if there is a problem.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf6969 View Post
Been paying Homeowners ins premiums here in TV for 15 years to the tune of over $12,000. I got a new roof and I am still not even with the ins company. Getting a new roof is a no brainer.
So what's your point? Are you saying you're "entitled" to get back all your 15 years of premiums ? No wonder rates go up. If you have term life insurance are you supposed to kill yourself (or someone else) before the term is up to cover your premiums?
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

IMHO me thinks???? the new roofs are generated by insurance co. renewals because of age of home. Agent contacted us when we did our annual rate check, and were told that our roof needed to be replaced before renewal, when I reminded her that our roof was tile, she corrected her request, hmmmmm!
Old 07-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Thumbs up You are correct, CG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe Girl View Post
I thought that the insurance company sent an adjuster out to verify the claim and then the insurance company tells the customer how much they are willing to pay. If the roofing company agrees to that amount, then a new roof is put on. So the roofing company really has no say so as to how much they can charge.
Our 20+ yr old roof needed to be replaced after sustaining all those years of storm damage, missing shingles, etc. Our insurance inspector agreed. New roof (architectural) is beautiful and guaranteed for 25+ years. No increase in our HO ins policy.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:08 AM

I got a new roof and am glad I did. The insurance increase will be less than I would have paid for it. Actually, I had leaks in my roof during big rainstorms and paid myself for the repairs twice and for replacing the floors in my guest room and hallway twice.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldovermiller View Post
Well, once again, it get back to the ORIGINAL roof being of poor quality. We can put this issue at the feet of our beloved
developer. Hear ye, hear ye...all rise.
WRONG: Virtually all shingles on Villages are either Owens-Corning or Certainteed. There are NO "low quality" shingles, In fact, all 3-tabs are warranteed 25 yrs. and all architecturals , 30 yrs. If never heavily damaged by weather, they will last ....... (drum roll),....... circa 25 and 30 years. So, virtually no Villages roofs are yet to the point of NEEDING to be replaced. I get several calls per wk. from homeowners saying some door-to-door roofer told them they had "54" damaged shingles or such. I go there and there is zero damage. My qualifications: I've been on over 10,000 roofs in 40+ yrs. in Florida, worked on crews + thousands of leak repairs, plus owned my own State Certified (licensed) roofing company with 20 to 75 employees for 24 yrs. - WHICH installed over 5,000 roofs. Many roofing companies from other areas have discovered the goldmine that is The Villages. If you must repair or replace your roof, use a local company.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:48 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
I have noticed, in my neighborhood alone, at least 10 signs in yards talking about Storm Damage to roofs and I assumed these people were all getting new roofs. Today, riding down my street, I saw ONE sign, with a small addition to the top that said “Approved”.

Is there a company going door to door, promising to get insurance companies to pay for new roofs? I checked out several of the roofs in question, but could see no “Visible” damage. I believe the insurance companies will send a representative out to double check these roofs to make sure they are not being scammed by the roofing company. My roof is 15 years old and I inspected it pretty good and it looks like it is holding up very well after the storms we’ve had in the last ten years. Is this an insurance scam?
Yes.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:50 AM
Thumbs down Who's getting a new roof?

A woman came by to tell me we needed a new roof. We had just closed on our home, had the inspection done, AND had a roofer come out and inspect. She was with APEX. Thanks, but no thanks. (check with the BBB)
Old 07-03-2020, 08:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
There is going to be a lot of insurance rate increases around here certainly for those who have "collected" and "collectively" because of large numbers of claims in the area. The claims may have been technically legit but I'm sure many could have gone without but took advantage of the chance for a new roof.
Right
Old 07-03-2020, 09:07 AM

This question about "free roofs" has been on this site for months. Bottom line. My roof was original, 19 years old. Insurance, less my deductible, paid for a new roof. (I had previously paid myself for some minor damage due to Hurricane Irma.) I then had it inspected, paid $100, for wind mitigation. My insurance company REDUCED my bill by over $400. I did nothing immoral, illegal, or unethical. Now what happens in the future might be different but I am very satisfied that I have a superior roof to what I had upon purchasing my home at an honest cost to me. It is not working a scam. You purchase insurance hoping that you won't need to use it but this was totally unexpected. Most of the people objecting to this process seem to fall into two categories. One where their insurance company refused to pay for whatever reason and another who had their roof replaced at their own cost within the last few years and thus weren't eligible for a replacement.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:29 AM

I have seen a huge number of new roofs getting done in one day in my Village. Setting aside the long term impact on our insurance rates, I am curious how they can get the building department permit inspections done so quickly. I have yet to even see a building permit posted on any of the roofing projects. Doesn’t Sumter County require permits for a reroof project? Their website (Re-Roof / Roof-Over | Sumter County, FL - Official Website) seems to require a permit and inspection is usually required for a permit.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 AM
Platinum member

About a year ago I found two shingles on my lawn. I went up on the garage section and found where they came from. With roofing nails and roofing cement I did the best I could to put the shingles back. No water damage inside the garage. While up there I found that my weight on that section actually made the other shingles slip away. So I did the best I could to repair it. I inspected the rest of the roof. The ridge vents were not in good shape. House is 21 years old.

This year I noticed new roofs going on in the neighborhood. I asked a neighbor on another street who they had replace his roof. His house is one year younger than mine. He gave me the contractor's name in Orlando, Restor-Surance Services. Next day a polite estimator arrived and inspected the roof. I just wanted the patch job I did, re-done professionally. He marked the affected areas in chalk. Came down and told me I needed a whole new roof. "More than 3 slopes are damaged and my homeowner's WILL PAY for the new roof." He did not want to give me a dollar estimate. Odd! Just said I should call, make a claim, when the adjuster gives me an appointment, he would come at the same time and be MY REPRESENTATIVE. He would convince the insurance company to pay for a whole new roof and Restor-Surance would agree to the insurance company's estimate whatever it was. (They all use the same software and material/labor costs.) He wanted me to sign a two page contract. I told him I don't sign legal contracts unless my lawyer explains them to me.

Short version: My insurance adjuster came ALONE (my decision) looked at the markings and agreed that I am entitled to a new roof less my deductible. DO NOT SAY THAT THE DAMAGE OCCURRED IN JULY-NOVEMBER TIME FRAME. Hurricane damaged roof are subject to a higher deductible. I told him I found the shingles on my lawn in MAY. He wrote a report with a price, wrote a check for the start of the work and said I can choose any roofing contractor I wanted. Balance is paid after a housing inspector inspects the work. If during the process they find underlying damage, (rotted plywood sheeting etc.), the amount will be adjusted.

I called two local roofers. McHale's came in UNDER the insurance company's estimate by almost $1,000. That estimate HAS TO be sent to the insurance company and the insurance would adjust the payment to agree with McHale's. (I did not try to play the game of fraudulent figures - you charge me one figure and we charge the insurance company a higher figure to cover my deductible. THAT'S FRAUD. ) All reputable roofers won't do that either. They can lose their license if caught.

I picked the same quality architectural shingle as original in a different color. Light colors are better for heat transfer and longevity. They don't curl as much. The job was done the next week in one day. I was satisfied and my insurance was satisfied. One bad plywood sheet had to be added to the bill. My out of pocket expense was my deductible, $1,000.
The only problem I had was that McHale did not sweep the lawn for roofing nails. I found at least 7 on my property, 2 were in my driveway. None caused damage. There are probably some still in my gutters right now.

If you have your roof replaced, insist they do a magnetic sweep of your property and even come back after the first rain to check the gutters. They also had to clean a spot of black cement that was noticeable on one shingle. They did that willingly and apologized.

The Restor-Surance contract stated that If I DO NOT HIRE THEM to do the work, I still had to pay them 20% of the value of the job (remember no figure was quoted) as a fee for inspecting the roof, doing paperwork, etc. Glad I never signed with them and that rep was upset that I did not sign the contract or have him come out when the adjuster arrived.

Use locals like McHale and Batterbee. Ask your neighbors how they liked their contractor. Get 3 FREE estimates in writing (no contract with bad clauses), not so much for the price but for what (and when) they do. Some will include new drip edges, some won't. The price is irrelevant unless much higher than the insurance company's estimate. A standard Florida contract IS REQUIRED to be signed before work states. It's standard procedure. I added a WORK COMPLETED BY: DATE and they had not problem with that.

If your home has enough shingle damage, you will not be able to sell it to the next owner if they get the home inspected. You will end up replacing the roof before it transfers. That could take a while.

Hope this helps, Skip...

Last edited by Skip; 07-03-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
roofs, insurance, company, years, damage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.