Who is getting a new roof?

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2020, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

Some roofing companies are offering a free inspection based on the last higher wind occurrences , they will file your claim to insurance and wait and see if damage they claim is approved. I f your claim is honored pay your deductible and get a new roof. Down side is we went that route only to find out we had only 21 damaged shingles plus many other creased ,they estimated 700.00 and change to repair per their inspector which is also a “forensic engineer” and would not release his findings to us. With a higher than that deductible no roof although the roofers noted a least 26% damage . So sue the insurance company and hope the settle , or just hire a good fair priced roofer which we have done , got our ARC approval good to go. 2 br CV 6600.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

How does everyone know your neighbors didn’t need a new roof , we’re you up there inspecting ,did the adjuster come and tell you they didn’t need a new roof but we paid anyway. My agent told me companies are leaving , I heard our rates will go up 25% oh no I heard40%., I was told it was a scam . I suspect some people are just upset that there not getting one . I’m not one of those getting a new roof but I’m glad for those who are getting a new roof because there old roof had damages
Old 07-03-2020, 10:59 AM
Veteran member
Default roofing scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
I have noticed, in my neighborhood alone, at least 10 signs in yards talking about Storm Damage to roofs and I assumed these people were all getting new roofs. Today, riding down my street, I saw ONE sign, with a small addition to the top that said “Approved”.

Is there a company going door to door, promising to get insurance companies to pay for new roofs? I checked out several of the roofs in question, but could see no “Visible” damage. I believe the insurance companies will send a representative out to double check these roofs to make sure they are not being scammed by the roofing company. My roof is 15 years old and I inspected it pretty good and it looks like it is holding up very well after the storms we’ve had in the last ten years. Is this an insurance scam?
Yes and it's costing us big time. If you notice, your homeowners insurance has skyrocketed because of this.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:31 AM

Just replaced our 15 year old roof, Insurance denied claim, cost us just under 10K, Designer shingles, etc. APC did a good job. Check your insurance to see if they will cover a 15year old roof.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
I have noticed, in my neighborhood alone, at least 10 signs in yards talking about Storm Damage to roofs and I assumed these people were all getting new roofs. Today, riding down my street, I saw ONE sign, with a small addition to the top that said “Approved”.

Is there a company going door to door, promising to get insurance companies to pay for new roofs? I checked out several of the roofs in question, but could see no “Visible” damage. I believe the insurance companies will send a representative out to double check these roofs to make sure they are not being scammed by the roofing company. My roof is 15 years old and I inspected it pretty good and it looks like it is holding up very well after the storms we’ve had in the last ten years. Is this an insurance scam?
Yes it is a scam. It will drive up all of our home insurance rates next year!
Old 07-03-2020, 11:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
About a year ago I found two shingles on my lawn. I went up on the garage section and found where they came from. With roofing nails and roofing cement I did the best I could to put the shingles back. No water damage inside the garage. While up there I found that my weight on that section actually made the other shingles slip away. So I did the best I could to repair it. I inspected the rest of the roof. The ridge vents were not in good shape. House is 21 years old.

This year I noticed new roofs going on in the neighborhood. I asked a neighbor on another street who they had replace his roof. His house is one year younger than mine. He gave me the contractor's name in Orlando, Restor-Surance Services. Next day a polite estimator arrived and inspected the roof. I just wanted the patch job I did, re-done professionally. He marked the affected areas in chalk. Came down and told me I needed a whole new roof. "More than 3 slopes are damaged and my homeowner's WILL PAY for the new roof." He did not want to give me a dollar estimate. Odd! Just said I should call, make a claim, when the adjuster gives me an appointment, he would come at the same time and be MY REPRESENTATIVE. He would convince the insurance company to pay for a whole new roof and Restor-Surance would agree to the insurance company's estimate whatever it was. (They all use the same software and material/labor costs.) He wanted me to sign a two page contract. I told him I don't sign legal contracts unless my lawyer explains them to me.

Short version: My insurance adjuster came ALONE (my decision) looked at the markings and agreed that I am entitled to a new roof less my deductible. DO NOT SAY THAT THE DAMAGE OCCURRED IN JULY-NOVEMBER TIME FRAME. Hurricane damaged roof are subject to a higher deductible. I told him I found the shingles on my lawn in MAY. He wrote a report with a price, wrote a check for the start of the work and said I can choose any roofing contractor I wanted. Balance is paid after a housing inspector inspects the work. If during the process they find underlying damage, (rotted plywood sheeting etc.), the amount will be adjusted.

I called two local roofers. McHale's came in UNDER the insurance company's estimate by almost $1,000. That estimate HAS TO be sent to the insurance company and the insurance would adjust the payment to agree with McHale's. (I did not try to play the game of fraudulent figures - you charge me one figure and we charge the insurance company a higher figure to cover my deductible. THAT'S FRAUD. ) All reputable roofers won't do that either. They can lose their license if caught.

I picked the same quality architectural shingle as original in a different color. Light colors are better for heat transfer and longevity. They don't curl as much. The job was done the next week in one day. I was satisfied and my insurance was satisfied. One bad plywood sheet had to be added to the bill. My out of pocket expense was my deductible, $1,000.
The only problem I had was that McHale did not sweep the lawn for roofing nails. I found at least 7 on my property, 2 were in my driveway. None caused damage. There are probably some still in my gutters right now.

If you have your roof replaced, insist they do a magnetic sweep of your property and even come back after the first rain to check the gutters. They also had to clean a spot of black cement that was noticeable on one shingle. They did that willingly and apologized.

The Restor-Surance contract stated that If I DO NOT HIRE THEM to do the work, I still had to pay them 20% of the value of the job (remember no figure was quoted) as a fee for inspecting the roof, doing paperwork, etc. Glad I never signed with them and that rep was upset that I did not sign the contract or have him come out when the adjuster arrived.

Use locals like McHale and Batterbee. Ask your neighbors how they liked their contractor. Get 3 FREE estimates in writing (no contract with bad clauses), not so much for the price but for what (and when) they do. Some will include new drip edges, some won't. The price is irrelevant unless much higher than the insurance company's estimate. A standard Florida contract IS REQUIRED to be signed before work states. It's standard procedure. I added a WORK COMPLETED BY: DATE and they had not problem with that.

If your home has enough shingle damage, you will not be able to sell it to the next owner if they get the home inspected. You will end up replacing the roof before it transfers. That could take a while.

Hope this helps, Skip...
Thanks for taking the time to explain your situation to us. Very helpful.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:54 PM

Get your own independent survey done then check with Insurance Co.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
Get your own independent survey done then check with Insurance Co.
So right. No conflict of interest.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:32 PM

Earlier this year I switched to the different insurance provider because of the premium increase. Last March the new one did come and took photos of all my roof in order for my new policy to be effective. Hmmm???
Old 07-04-2020, 12:39 AM
Platinum member
Default Permit - YES required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron View Post
I have seen a huge number of new roofs getting done in one day in my Village. Setting aside the long term impact on our insurance rates, I am curious how they can get the building department permit inspections done so quickly. I have yet to even see a building permit posted on any of the roofing projects. Doesn’t Sumter County require permits for a reroof project? Their website (Re-Roof / Roof-Over | Sumter County, FL - Official Website) seems to require a permit and inspection is usually required for a permit.
Yes the roofer will get the permit just before they start the job and tape it to one of the windows facing the street. After the job is done, takes 3 days or so, and the county inspector will verify the new roof meets the new Florida code (nails per sq. ft., etc). I chatted with the inspector and was surprised when he actually said my roofer "always does a good job". That made me feel good.

Skip
Old 07-04-2020, 05:42 AM

Have a 15 year old house, and shingles had fallen off in addition to roof granulars in gutters. Small damage to ceilings in garage and bedroom. i called several contractors all agreed new roof needed. Insurance came out, and. agreed. I had visible signs of poor roof health. Eustis Roofing did my roof and did not speak with insurance company. I was middle man. I sent paperwork to insurance company and they paid. Hope to wait another 15 years..
Old 07-04-2020, 06:39 AM

This is true! Coming from a recent 'new roof' person.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:41 AM

My home that I just bought, had a new roof done in 2014 after 12 years doe to faulty shingles installed when the home was built. The whole neighborhood got evaluated.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

So much for no soliciting in TV. He came to my house and I told him to get lost and I took his picture while he was smoking at my front door. APEX
Old 07-04-2020, 07:11 AM

There are many reasons for a complete roof replacement (wind damage, age, improper/defective raw materials, code violations, etc). I have been living in Pine Ridge since '17. My home was built in 2016. My roof was replaced in January this year due to defective underlayment. It was not a home insurance transaction, but was between me and the underlayment manufacturer. No one came to my door offering to inspect roof.
Closed Thread

Tags
roofs, insurance, company, years, damage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.