Who has moved to The Villages from another 55+ community?

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts
Default Who has moved to The Villages from another 55+ community?

If so, which one?

Also why? To get out of the one you left or the various attractions of life in The Villages?

Was it worth it and why so?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Gold member

The one we left had one golf course, one tennis court, one swimming pool, one shuffleboard court, one restaurant.....you get the idea.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
The one we left had one golf course, one tennis court, one swimming pool, one shuffleboard court, one restaurant.....you get the idea.
That's what I saw in countless Florida retirement communities...plus, you would have to get on a major thoroughfare to shop, worship, etc.
Then I saw The Villages...the rest is history.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM

I've been to 52 countries and 43 states and I found The Villages to be the most amazing seniors community I've ever seen. Paula and I liked it so much during our two week stay in December 2013 that we signed up for a 3-month rental in 2015 (January-March). We'll be just off No. 5 green at Silver Lake Golf Club on Rainbow Boulevard. I'll be looking for WVU fans to talk Mountaineer sports with me and relish looking back at our Almost Heaven upbringings.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
I've been to 52 countries and 43 states and I found The Villages to be the most amazing seniors community I've ever seen. Paula and I liked it so much during our two week stay in December 2013 that we signed up for a 3-month rental in 2015 (January-March). We'll be just off No. 5 green at Silver Lake Golf Club on Rainbow Boulevard. I'll be looking for WVU fans to talk Mountaineer sports with me and relish looking back at our Almost Heaven upbringings.

From just one state over with no golden dome at our capital but us Buckeyes are looking forward to welcoming you both.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We moved here from a gated community with a golf course, pool, restaurant, tennis courts, and boat ramp. It was a nice community but in a financially depressed area with a bad real estate market. It was not 55 and older but there were a lot of retired folks. There is much more to do here and the economy is much better with a vigorous real estate market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
If so, which one?

Also why? To get out of the one you left or the various attractions of life in The Villages?

Was it worth it and why so?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My parents retired in 1983 to a place about an hour from here, Timber Pines in Spring Hill, Florida. It opened that year and was built out in 1998. It's on 1400 acres with 3,400 homes. They have one 18 hole championship course and two 18 hole executive courses. You can own a golf cart and drive it on the streets. The community is completely walled and gated.

I use to visit my parents in the 80's and 90's and they liked it a lot. Inside the gate there is no businesses to drive your cart to, but right outside within a mile is a movie theater, a Walmart, K Mart, Sonny's and many other places. Yes, it would be nice if they were within the community walls, but this way it keeps workers and other non-residents from coming inside the community. The two gates are manned 24 hours and no one enters unless you have left word at the gate for visitors.

The available homes are now only resales, they are all masonry, most have 2 car garages, no fences are allowed, there are golf courses homesites. Homes are much cheaper, villas start in the $90's, single family homes can be found in the low to mid 100's and the top prices are in the $300's. When I visited my parents I wasn't really looking to live there, so I never took a close look at what they had to offer. Someone on a tighter budget would probably love it there, or someone wanting to be close to Tampa/St. Pete, they are less than an hour's drive.

The Villages Florida

Timber Pines Community Association
Old 10-12-2014, 07:30 PM

Mountaineer

My wife and I spent two months in Snowshoe, WV this past summer. It was awesome and we met many WVU fans.

Snowshoe wants to come to the travel expo just to let people know how nice it is there in the summer.

There is a West Virginia Club here in The Villages .

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 10-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

So far I have only visited overnight or spent time in three 55+ communities: The Villages and Terra Vista in FL and Laguna Woods in CA where I have friends who have lived there for years. In most respects The Villages offers the most options in activities, clubs and golf courses as well as adequate grocery and incidentals shopping. The Villages is clearly the most popular in that it is the largest.

What I have noticed in other 55+ communities is there does not appear to be very much physical activity among the residents. I do not see people out and about as much. They are far too quiet for me and feel a bit like ghost towns. (Where is everybody?) I also like the size of The Villages and the visual openness and green cleanliness offered by views over golf courses wherever I go.

It seems to me The Villages offers far more options and things to do than other 55+ places.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM

We live in Lakeside Tarrace just outside of TV. It is small but nice 55+ working are way up to TV. Trying to find the best area for us before moving in.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 AM

moved here in may from sunrise lakes,a 55 older community,place and area changed in the last ten years.crime was one reason we left,place was starting to go down hill,costs were climing with no control by mgt.we love the villages,and all it has to offer.no stress,plenty beautifull scenery,that includes the women,sorry guys.it is a heckofalifestyle.don from bklyn.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

We moved from a 55+ community in South Florida. There wasn't much to do in the community. There we no clubs so to speak and it got very crowded in the area. Came to TV to visit friends and feel in love with it. There was so much to do here. We sold the house down in South Florida and here we are and loving TV.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:29 AM
Default Visit us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aandjmassage View Post
We live in Lakeside Tarrace just outside of TV. It is small but nice 55+ working are way up to TV. Trying to find the best area for us before moving in.
Come to our village...ALHAMBRA....
Near so many stores,Spanish Springs,and the hospital......
Sending a pm too...
Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Sage

I saw TV 7 years ago when I came to visit a friend. I inherently knew there could never be a place, that was as wonderful, as this is. I never investigated another retirement community as, "after you seen the best", you know then there is the rest.

I saved myself a lot of time and energy but not checking into other retirement communities. Some people may select different 55 plus communities for various reasons like it's too big, etc, but this one, is the only one for me. As my son said to me after a visit, "this place is perfect for you, Dad".

Happy as a frog could be. "RIVET".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.