Who knows anything about the "no dog leash" permit from the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Founder
Default Who knows anything about the "no dog leash" permit from the Villages

My neighbor has asked me to post this. I know nothing about it.

It seems that there is a large group of people who take their dogs up to the recreation trail along Lopez Golf Course each afternoon and let them run without a leash. My neighbor said she was jogging along there and was chased by a couple of the dogs. She said she asked how they are allowed to let the dogs run loose and was told that it is a private club and that they were given "special permits' from the Villages to gather there each afternoon and let the dogs run. She said there were about six or eight carts with about 10 dogs running around.

I may be misinformed, but I thought the leash law was county wide. I didn't know that the Villages issued such permits. Seems kind of strange because chasing walkers and joggers in not the kind of "friendly" thing that is suppose to happen here. Can anybody shed any light on this?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Who knows anything about the "no dog leash" permit from the Villages

Jan.........I'd also like to know the answer to your question as I have seen dogs on the loose with owners in their carts while I was playing ashley meadow at Lopez. I agree, thought there was a leash law in Marion County. :dontknow:
Old 11-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Founder
Default Re: Who knows anything about the "no dog leash" permit from the Villages

I imagine you are seeing the same group my neighbor is talking about. That is the exact area she said she was chased by the dogs. She said they gather every day about sunset.

I hope one of the "private club" members will post some information here.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If they were issued a permit they should have it with them, ask to see it.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Eternal Member

If you read the info in the beginning of the new Villages telephone book all dogs have to be on a leash. Report them to the Marion County police or the neighborhood watch.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Allowing people to build fences in the backyard of they paid for property would take care of dogs running loose.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 PM

dogs are also often off their leashes at the "dog" park at paradise lake. i think it's just that there is no enforcement of the leash laws in at least these two areas of the villages.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Sage

BUC - I don't live there but when i do i'll know that i can't build a fence on the property. I'm sick of reading about people who buy in TV then :edit: about building a fence. You knew you couldn't do it when you signed on the dotted line.

Get over it! I mean that for everyone on this board who still :edit: about the darn fences!

I love dogs and i'll either buy a villa with a fence or keep my dog on a leash or take him to a dog run - it really is just that simple!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Gee, you people are getting really mean with this dog thing. There is nothing wrong with dogs running without a leash in a park as long as owners are with them. Yes, dogs like to chase but they don't mean anything unless they are mean and trained to attack. I'm sure no one at TV owns a dog like that. All the owner has to do is call them. Just about every community in this country has a park where dogs are allowed to run without a leash or if there is a leash law they look the other way. Dogs like to play and run and they are not hurting anyone.

There were also all these postings about dogs peeing in laws. That's what dog do...they leave their scent everywhere they walk. Pee does not hurt grass. I expect owners to pick up after their pooch if they do more than pee.

I'm not sure I want to move to TV after reading all these complaints and whines. I have a dog and I want a place that loves dogs. My dog pees at every mail box he sees and none of my neighbors complaint because they have dogs and they do the same. Lighten up! This is supposed to be a friendly place. Dogs are lovable and enhance everyone's life. Try petting one sometime instead of posting hateful posts. Life is too short guys.. Make friends with everyone including the dogs and their owners.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

with Russ. These dog posts are a no win situation, let it go.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Sage

There are thousands of dogs and dog lovers in TV.

It's the people who complain about the in-place covenants that irk me.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Doesn't sound like TH is talking about a doggie park -- this is by a recreation trail. These dogs aren't in a fenced in area. They are allowed to run loose by a trail. Right now, my daughter is learning to ride a scooter and I'm pretty rusty when it comes to bikes. If a dog were to chase either of us or people like us, that could become a pretty dangerous situation. I do think TV should create a couple of doggy parks.

As to worrying about people not liking dogs here, you should go to the town centers and see all the dogs there and how everyone goes ga-ga over all of them to understand just how much they are loved here. Doesn't mean we have to like everything they do and peeing on a lawn is a lot different than letting your dog poop by the mailbox centers and not cleaning it up -- it gets stinky, attracts flies and is just plain yucky!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Sage

RW:

People need to keep their dogs on ropes.

OBTW - what kind of scooter, how many cc, where did you buy it? I am looking at the Aprilia Mojito 150 cc with Vespa motor at about half the cost of a Vespa.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

All I can say about it is that my dogs are very excitable and even when leashed may bark at a person and try to chase them therefore they never go unleashed except in my own back yard or a dog park. When I move to the Villages I will take them to The Doggie Doo Run Run at my own expense. It is the courteous and responsible thing to do. As for dogs peeing on other folks lawns, it does burn the grass and I have the burn spots in my own fenced backyard to prove it. Too bad, it is my own piebald grass and the price I'm willing to pay but to let them pee and/or poo on someone else's yard is totally rude, inconsiderate and irresponsible.

If the law says dogs must be leashed then so be it, keep them leashed or pay the consequences.

I don't think it mean for folks not to want their lawns ruined or worse to have to pick up someone else's dog excrement, thats just plain nasty.

Unfortunately not every dog is trained well enough or is calm enough to respond to the sound of their mistress's or master's voice. I understand all too well that it is a natural instinct for dogs to chase after running/bicycling/skating people or cars and other conveyances which is dangerous. Often it is innocent; dogs think it's a game but it is the responsibility of the owner to control their dog. Being chased by a dog/dogs is a terrifying thing; I know, I've been chased by vicious dogs barking, growling and snapping at my heals while bicycling or running. :yikes:

If you don't think it's scary just take a look at video of police siccing their dogs on the participants of the civil rights marches in the '60's.

I take full responsibility for the times my dogs have escaped and misbehaved. I love my neighborhood and respect my neighbors much too much to treat them disrespectfully.

Nuff said! :realmad:

Old 11-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpup
All I can say about it is that my dogs are very excitable and even when leashed may bark at a person and try to chase them therefore they never go unleashed except in my own back yard or a dog park. When I move to the Villages I will take them to The Doggie Doo Run Run at my own expense. It is the courteous and responsible thing to do. As for dogs peeing on other folks lawns, it does burn the grass and I have the burn spots in my own fenced backyard to prove it. Too bad, it is my own piebald grass and the price I'm willing to pay but to let them pee and/or poo on someone else's yard is totally rude, inconsiderate and irresponsible.

If the law says dogs must be leashed then so be it, keep them leashed or pay the consequences.

I don't think it mean for folks not to want their lawns ruined or worse to have to pick up someone else's dog excrement, thats just plain nasty.

Unfortunately not every dog is trained well enough or is calm enough to respond to the sound of their mistress's or master's voice. I understand all too well that it is a natural instinct for dogs to chase after running/bicycling/skating people or cars and other conveyances which is dangerous. Often it is innocent; dogs think it's a game but it is the responsibility of the owner to control their dog. Being chased by a dog/dogs is a terrifying thing; I know, I've been chased by vicious dogs barking, growling and snapping at my heals while bicycling or running. :yikes:

If you don't think it's scary just take a look at video of police siccing their dogs on the participants of the civil rights marches in the '60's.

I take full responsibility for the times my dogs have escaped and misbehaved. I love my neighborhood and respect my neighbors much too much to treat them disrespectfully.

Nuff said! :realmad:

:bigthumbsup:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.