Who likes the new Villages Trash Pickup method?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2020, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

~~~

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-14-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

You put trash out and “they” come and pick it up; really no different than before except who picks it up now - Waste Management.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranford61 View Post
I’m not so sure. I wonder if the effluent cloud of toxic emissions will rain down on Villages if wind is right. Do you really believe that the emissions from the stacks are healthy to inhale?
You are right, I am sure the EPA and all the other regulatory agencies rubber stamped this for large sacks of cash.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:10 AM

I just retired from running a landfill in Alaska. Anchorage is researching a burner.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Because they have to pay to dump at the trash burner site after a fairly long ride ( compared to the ride to the transfer station off Powell rd.)
And it's going to go up 3% for the next NINE years. Has anyone explained the reasoning behind these increases?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM
Smile Who likes the new Villages Trash Pickup method?

It is so refreshing to see a sense of humor in this day and age. Keep it up!
Old 10-15-2020, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
You put trash out and “they” come and pick it up; really no different than before except who picks it up now - Waste Management.
There is a BIG difference for me. No more sorting is a very big difference for me. My recycle pail is in the garage so every time I had a recycle item, it was a trip to the garage. Now, just pop in the the kitchen garbage pail. Easy.

I LOVE that the yard waste can be put in plastic bags now. When dealing with wet yard waste, the plastic bag will not break at the bottom. Being able to put out all types of trash two days a week is a big plus too. Having to wait for that one day per week to put out yard waste was sometimes a bit iffy in the aroma department if you know what I mean. I would keep the yard waste, in the paper bags in the garage so the bags would not get wet if it rained. Now, I don't have to worry about that.

In conclusion, the Covanta Facility is the best case scenario with the new system, not only for us, the customers, but for the environment. We are guaranteed that nothing is going into a landfill. Trash to energy is a wonderful option.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaG View Post
It is so refreshing to see a sense of humor in this day and age. Keep it up!
...glad to hear. I was born & raised in Chicago so the photo (bodies) is meaningful...

Our 'big problem' with the combined trash/recyc pickup is that we have a pullout trash/recyc cabinet in our TV home - very nice & handy. 1 white bag, 1 clear bag. Now with the combined pickup, being thrifty, I wish it now had 1 'bigger' bin for both. Thought of cutting the wood support to enable getting and installing 1 larger bin.

"She" thinks I'm nuts (I have OCD). probably am...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20201015_100807.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	86594  
Old 10-15-2020, 04:31 PM

Did you ever wonder why we have to pay for a Jacob's building to hold waste at quite a significant cost?
How about the removal of two trucks (lawn and recycle) and the crews (hope they are reassigned) for the trucks what about the cost savings are there?
The carbon foot print savings? Less trucks to Georgia?
Why the cost increase to us? Why for so many years?
The burning of our waste but no electric bill savings?
The same people that brought you a recycle (garbage) facility in the middle of our town and it is to exist for many years?
Old 10-16-2020, 06:20 AM

In my past I worked for a major waste disposal company. We had hundreds of landfills and hauling companies. We also had many material recycling facilities. My experience with dealing with burning waste for energy is that (1) its more expensive than recycling and disposal of non-recyclable material. (2) the one waste burning company in our area was a major customer at the landfill due to over loaded waste streams where they could not handle the volumes and because of equipment breakdowns. From the residents of TV the new program is easier and more expensive but are we really turning waste into energy? Or are we just paying more money for what makes our life easier?
Old 10-16-2020, 06:32 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
It's like $2.85! That's only $22.23 a month. I'd paid that just for the increased ease of preparing and throwing out my trash not to mention the energy generating and reduced landfill aspect.

Greed? How about rather impressive technology and common sense?
$22.23 per month with yearly increases is a lot to people on Social Security. And doesn’t the burning cause more air pollution? I liked the old system better.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage

I didn’t see any emojis so I can only assume you are serious. Do you have any evidence to support this claim or do you just like to accuse people you don’t know of violating the law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
You are right, I am sure the EPA and all the other regulatory agencies rubber stamped this for large sacks of cash.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I didn’t see any emojis so I can only assume you are serious. Do you have any evidence to support this claim or do you just like to accuse people you don’t know of violating the law?
Sarcasm much? No, I am not being serious. These types of facilities must jump through so many hoops to get their approvals and permits. This isn’t the 1960s.

I was responding to this ridiculous statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranford61 View Post
I’m not so sure. I wonder if the effluent cloud of toxic emissions will rain down on Villages if wind is right. Do you really believe that the emissions from the stacks are healthy to inhale?
Old 10-16-2020, 07:08 AM
Sage

My bad, I missed the context of your post. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Sarcasm much? No, I am not being serious. These types of facilities must jump through so many hoops to get their approvals and permits. This isn’t the 1960s.

I was responding to this ridiculous statement.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
My bad, I missed the context of your post. Sorry about that.
No worries. You would be safe to assume sarcasm on most of the things I post. Life is getting too short every day.

Tags
likes, villages, trash, pickup, method

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.