Who likes the new Villages Trash Pickup method?

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2020, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I'm thrilled not only to get rid of yard waste two days a week but to be able to put the yard waste in plastic bags. I did not like the paper bags, especially for wet yard debris. For me, it is also so much easier to collect the yard waste in the plastic bags. Two thumbs up for the new system!
Totally agree, my only very small complaint is I wish they would come around the same time so we would know when to put out our trash. They always used to come late AM or early PM so we would put out the trash in the AM when we got up so the critters would not go through the trash at night. The first couple of times on the new system they came before we woke up and we never got the trash taken away. Next time we put the trash out the night before and woke up to a trash mess thanks to the critters, but they did not come until early afternoon. Next time we set our alarm for 6 AM and put out the trash so we would not miss the pick up and they again did not come until early afternoon. So the next time, we went to put out the trash when we woke up and you guessed it, they had already come. They seem to either come around 7:00 AM or early afternoon, with no rhyme or reason as to what time they will come each time? Looks like I will start double bagging the trash and put it out before bed and hope the critters don't spread it all over the yard.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage

mix some 50/50 ammonia and water spray the bags after you put them on the ground, and the critters won't go near them.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
mix some 50/50 ammonia and water spray the bags after you put them on the ground, and the critters won't go near them.
I've never had a problem with critters breaking into the trash bags in Mallory Square. But....in case that does begin to happen, it is great to know of this "trick". Thank you.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I've never had a problem with critters breaking into the trash bags in Mallory Square. But....in case that does begin to happen, it is great to know of this "trick". Thank you.
I agree. 16 years putting trash out the night before pickup at least 1 and sometimes 2 times a week ..... no problem with critters.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:35 AM

Why did they stop recycling.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail herrmann View Post
They are now recycling waste into electricity. Far more efficient. Cheaper too.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
China stopped accepting our recycling materials several years ago. Most if not all of the US recycling actually ended up in landfills. The US will not recycle because it does not pay enough. What we have at the Covanta Facility is the best of both worlds. It is clean and does not pollute the air, we don't have to bother to sort trash anymore, trash to energy is another form of recycling, IMHO. Win, win, win.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
One of the reasons is China decided it didn't want our greasy pizza boxes any more.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:31 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
They are now recycling waste into electricity. Far more efficient. Cheaper too.
Not cheap as it was the most expensive option.
Closed Thread

Tags
likes, villages, trash, pickup, method

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.