Who is responsible for painting the wall?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default Who is responsible for painting the wall?

Yes I know I can call TV and find out which I intend to do.

The purpose of this thread is to hear other residents experience(s).

If there is a wall (put in place by TV) along one of your property lines, who is responsible for painting the wall facing your home when needed?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Will be interesting to see what they say,

but (I'm guessing)

technically, you own 1/2 of the wall and your neighbor owns the other 1/2.

Let us know.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

One side of the wall faces a non neighbor hood street in TV.
On the other side, various properties, along the wall, have a "section" of the common wall facing their home, the width of their property.

Hopefully this should clarify the wall location (although it has potential to not do so ).

Old 08-07-2018, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Will be interesting to see what they say,

but (I'm guessing)

technically, you own 1/2 of the wall and your neighbor owns the other 1/2.

Let us know.
You are probably right. I went to an open house in Fenney last month and asked that question to the agent. He said the owner of the properties are each responsible for their side. And if it's fence repair you have to work it out between the 2 of you if a repair needs to be done. Made me think twice about that idea.....

Old 08-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Your deed restrictions will clearly define your maintenance responsibilities, it will vary from neighborhood to neighborhood and even home to home.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776

Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Your deed restrictions will clearly define your maintenance responsibilities, it will vary from neighborhood to neighborhood and even home to home.
So right.

We had a stone knee wall at the back of our property, when we lived in Hadley and it separated us from the grounds of the Odell rec center. The wall was power washed at least once a year and the bedding plants that grew next to it were weeded, by The Villages maintenance. They also painted the rec center and all of the pergola type things over the lawn games once a year.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Of course Goldwingnut is right. I'm wondering if the difference might lie with whether the purpose of the wall/fence is to provide privacy between 2 houses versus being backed up to a common area like a rec center. I would think with the new Veranda homes in Fenney it would make it virtually impossible for TV to maintain all of that and as a result I'm sure the rules may be different there.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

On our villa properties we each paint the inside of our wall. Corner lots outside wall is painted and maintained by the owner of that Home.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:31 AM
Platinum member

This is very confusing at times and reviewing the deed restrictions for my property again makes for interesting and somewhat unnerving reading. I live in a CYV and have the exterior wall to the subdivision in my backyard.

The first attachment is "the District's" responsibilities, basically it says they'll maintain the outside and top of the wall. Seems pretty straight forward on initial review. What's important here is what is not said.

The second attachment is the homeowner's responsibility. The disconcerting part here is where it says the homeowner is responsible for the structural integrity of the wall. Translated to a simple example, if a car from outside the wall drive through the wall, the homeowner is responsible for the repairs. So unless one could prove gross negligence or other culpability the homeowner will be responsible for maintaining the wall except for cleaning and painting the outside.

The interior walls are simple, you clean your side, your neighbor cleans their side, if it needs repairs you work it out between yourselves.

Similar statements exist in the deed restrictions for non-villa homes who share the wall and fence structures.

As the owner of lot 9 mentioned in these document I have responsibility for just over 220 feet of this wall (plus 35' of PVC fence), nearly 4 times the average of the rest of the residents in my community who have the exterior wall. I knew this going in, read it in the documents prior to signing the closing documents, asked several questions about this during my closing (one of many areas I really annoyed the people during my closing!), so this is no surprise to me.

My restrictions are just over 4 years old and I just read a few of the deed restrictions documents for other Villa units in the Fenney/CDD-12 area and they all read pretty much the same. The gross translation to all of this is that the district is responsible for keeping the show side (outside) pretty and the homeowners are responsible for the inside and the wall itself. Some may say it's not fair or right but the bottom line is that it's what's in the contract that we signed when we purchased the home.

I think most, if not all, Villa owners will agree that the risks and expenses are very small compared to the value of the added privacy we enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 031 08-Aug-18 06.40.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	76052   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen capture 030 08-Aug-18 06.39.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	76053  
www.goldwingnut.com
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776

Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I do not have a wall so I should probably stay out of this, but:

Have an acquaintance who lives in the Cottages at Summerchase and "her" wall abuts Harmeswood and she let vines and goodness know what else grow up her wall and she had to rip everything off the wall and was told the wall was not hers! Maybe it's different if you abut million dollar homes.

I also have a friend who lives north of 466a in a villa and he has had an artist paint a beach scene on his wall. So far no repercussions.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Old 08-08-2018, 10:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I do not have a wall so I should probably stay out of this, but:

Have an acquaintance who lives in the Cottages at Summerchase and "her" wall abuts Harmeswood and she let vines and goodness know what else grow up her wall and she had to rip everything off the wall and was told the wall was not hers! Maybe it's different if you abut million dollar homes.

I also have a friend who lives north of 466a in a villa and he has had an artist paint a beach scene on his wall. So far no repercussions.
The situation you describe has nothing to do with class envy. There is another statement in the deed restrictions concerning the walls that says you cannot hang anything on, penetrate, or do any damage to any of the walls, vines and other plants growing on the walls are considered destructive in nature and therefore not allowed. As far as who actually owns the wall, again this goes back to the deed restrictions and property lines.

Painting the wall is a slightly different issue. I've also seen several CYV homes with murals painted on them. This has been brought up at several district and PWAC meetings. The mural would generally be considered an internal deed restrictions issues as they are not visible from the road. Community Standards is empowered to enforce external deed restrictions and cannot go into a backyard (specifically of a CYV). HOWEVER, if the gate is left open and the mural can be seen from the street or they are invited onto the property (in this case into the back yard), in either of these cases then Community Standards inherits the ability to enforce the deed restrictions.

In the case of a mural on a wall, it is not allowed, the walls are to remain painted the original color per the deed restrictions and the homeowner is responsibility for this painting as a part of their maintenance responsibility. If Community Standard can see it from the street or is invited onto the property and observes it, they can then direct its removal.

In the case of the vines growing on the wall if the opposing neighbor noted the vines and their growing on the wall, then they would be correct and proper in notifying Community Standards and having them removed, regardless of the cost of either home or who owns the wall.
www.goldwingnut.com

Old 08-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Our backyard faces courtyard villas and therefore, there is a wall behind us......the Villages just recently painted the wall.....and twice a year, it is powerwashed by the Villages.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

For those of us that live on corner street interior villa lot we are responsible for both side of the wall that surrounds or property. For those that live next to street and they're wall faces the main street not the villa inside street they only have to do the inside wall on their side. Now if you live on corner lot and main street then you would be responsible for all walls except the one on the Main Street side. Which means the street in the villa wall on you're property is you're responsibility along with the upkeep on out side of the wall on you're property.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liere View Post
Our backyard faces courtyard villas and therefore, there is a wall behind us......the Villages just recently painted the wall.....and twice a year, it is powerwashed by the Villages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
For those of us that live on corner street interior villa lot we are responsible for both side of the wall that surrounds or property. For those that live next to street and they're wall faces the main street not the villa inside street they only have to do the inside wall on their side. Now if you live on corner lot and main street then you would be responsible for all walls except the one on the Main Street side. Which means the street in the villa wall on you're property is you're responsibility along with the upkeep on out side of the wall on you're property.
Again, read the deed restrictions that you received when you purchased, it's all spelled out and what is agreed to by all parties when you purchase, just like marriage, for better or for worse, till death do us part...
www.goldwingnut.com

Old 08-13-2018, 07:00 AM

Where does one start in getting this wall painted? My villa is now about 8 years old and the wall is power washed each year but it’s going to need to be painted soon. I’m sure there is an exact color, do painting contractors here in the area know the process and do they get the exact match or where do I call to get this information? I’m sure the same is true for my villa exterior.
(We don’t live here yet but own a villa)

Tags
wall, painting, responsible, place, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.